Al Mar

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Al Mar

Post by Quick Steel »

Haven't shown this one in a while.
P1030297 (3).JPG
P1030298 (2).JPG
steve99f

Re: Al Mar

Post by steve99f »

That's a great looking grind QS!
steve99f
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks Steve. Typical Al Mar workmanship. God only knows what's going to happen with their move to China.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Quick Steel wrote:Thanks Steve. Typical Al Mar workmanship. God only knows what's going to happen with their move to China.

QS, Have you posted that one in the Moki, Mcusta and Al Mar thread? If not, it belongs there too. That thread has some pretty incredible knives. The quality of Al Mar is top notch. It concerns me as well what will happen to the quality going forward.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks for the reminder Mark. I'll have to check; I don't recall if I posted there before.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Is that a fixed blade version of the S.E.R.E.? I have a folder that looks a lot like that.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

No, at least it is not formally connected to the SERE.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Quick Steel wrote:Thanks Steve. Typical Al Mar workmanship. God only knows what's going to happen with their move to China.
Is Al Mar moving all a it's production to China?
I hadn't heard that.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

David, I don't know the details. I'm hoping someone will return from the Blade Show with some accurate information. By the way, Meatloaf was a favorite of mine.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Well, all you can do is hope that they will get them made in the same factory as those high quality knives that are coming out of China. A.G. Russell for example. Like any other country they have good and bad. Guitars are another example of high quality workmanship. Cheap and very high quality fit n' finish. Epiphone are very nice guitars for the price also. Many beautiful acoustic guitars are made also. Mine is a Oscar Schmidt and as nice as any Gibson, Taylor, Martin for a huge fraction of the price. You just have to dig because of the shear amount of products that come out of em'.
I guess Al Mar want to make better profit margins then right now. Nothing wrong with it as long as they keep quality up. Costs of layour are extremely cheap, so they can produce nice knives for a lot less if they want too. But with everything that's going on right now it might not make any sense too. Who knows why? ::shrug::
I guess not just economics at play right now.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hey QS.
What was Meatloaf? TV or movie show?
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
LittleAugieMo

Post by LittleAugieMo »

WillyCamaro wrote:Hey QS.
What was Meatloaf? TV or movie show?
Rock&Roll singer "Bat out of He@*" album
LittleAugieMo

Post by LittleAugieMo »

Quick Steel wrote:Haven't shown this one in a while.

P1030297 (3).JPGP1030298 (2).JPG
Love the Al Mar knives. Haven't cornered a fixed blade just yet. Workin on an early SERE folder rite now
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

WillyCamaro wrote:Well, all you can do is hope that they will get them made in the same factory as those high quality knives that are coming out of China. A.G. Russell for example. Like any other country they have good and bad. Guitars are another example of high quality workmanship. Cheap and very high quality fit n' finish. Epiphone are very nice guitars for the price also. Many beautiful acoustic guitars are made also. Mine is a Oscar Schmidt and as nice as any Gibson, Taylor, Martin for a huge fraction of the price. You just have to dig because of the shear amount of products that come out of em'.
I guess Al Mar want to make better profit margins then right now. Nothing wrong with it as long as they keep quality up. Costs of layour are extremely cheap, so they can produce nice knives for a lot less if they want too. But with everything that's going on right now it might not make any sense too. Who knows why? ::shrug::
I guess not just economics at play right now.
I don't care.
I would hate to see another great American knife maker have their knives made in China.
David
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Willy, I think you are too young to have encountered Meatloaf. I would encourage you to go to YouTube and type in Meatloaf. Listen to a few of his songs and see what you think. He sold millions of albums, but of course each generation tends to favor its own music. I do think he had enormous talent and I am sure he used AlMar knives. ::uc::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Just looked him up. Nope, not for me. I try to steer clear of this kind of music. My stuff is 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, classical, blues, gospel, classic country, jazz, rock n' roll, surf, ect. I guess you can call me an old school boy. :D
Hard Rock, Metal, Heavy Metal, Punk, Grunge, ect. i can't stand. Even worse is pop and rap. Pretty bad stuff imho. Each to his own.
I agree edge. It's just the way it is. I try to steer clear of China stuff as much i can. We can't change it. We don't have to jump on board. It's just how it's always worked. No getting around it.
That's why i collect Queens, Schatt & Morgans, Winchesters, Imperials, Colonials, ect. I do buy china knives all the time. We are stuck as people. When you don't know there are other options to pick from, any products in general, or if they are too much, you will buy what's the cheapest and easiest. The way we people are.
It's like when everything moved to Japan. Stuff was utter rubbish at first. Now when you look at Japan stuff we speak super highly of it. Same thing with China.
One big difference with China is there gov is pretty evil. Ordinary people are in limbo. Nothing they can do to get the commies out. They have the weapons behind them.
Life is not fair. We live in a fallen world for sure. ::nod::
JMHO
Winston Churchill

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Quick Steel wrote:Willy, I think you are too young to have encountered Meatloaf. I would encourage you to go to YouTube and type in Meatloaf. Listen to a few of his songs and see what you think. He sold millions of albums, but of course each generation tends to favor its own music. I do think he had enormous talent and I am sure he used AlMar knives. ::uc::
I agree Steel, he probably did. ::tu::
David
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Quick Steel wrote:Willy, I think you are too young to have encountered Meatloaf. I would encourage you to go to YouTube and type in Meatloaf. Listen to a few of his songs and see what you think. He sold millions of albums, but of course each generation tends to favor its own music. I do think he had enormous talent and I am sure he used AlMar knives. ::uc::
Remember him well! Most of his songs were written by a guy that probably no one has heard of: Jim Steinman.He is also responsible for a lot of Bonnie Tyler's stuff(no relation to Steven Tyler).My brother-in-law who is a musician was good friends with Jim and gave me a tape of Jim doing all his own songs. Pretty remarkable talent.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Quick Steel wrote:No, at least it is not formally connected to the SERE.
Quick Steel it is a Model of the Sere Model # 3007A Sere 7 ::handshake:: Photo's & Model of Sere First one is of the folders 2nd Fixed Blades ::tu::
Attachments
AL- Mar ,Sere 001.JPG
AL- Mar ,Sere 003.JPG
AL- Mar ,Sere 004.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Gary, thanks for the info. I thought the Sere were purely folders. But you are correct, mine is with the 7" blade.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Quick Steel wrote:Gary, thanks for the info. I thought the Sere were purely folders. But you are correct, mine is with the 7" blade.
Quick Steel That is the pattern of Al- Mars that I put away . I will try and post pictures later
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

My Al-Mar Sere's still need a couple to complete
Attachments
Sere Model 3008A
Sere Model 3008A
Sere Mode 3006 Neoprene Handle looking for Green Micarta
Sere Mode 3006 Neoprene Handle looking for Green Micarta
Sere 1 Sere 11 Sere Attack with some Auto's
Sere 1 Sere 11 Sere Attack with some Auto's
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

WOW! Great pictures of some great knives. I only have a few Al Mar knives and for some reason all of them came to me for really decent prices. Here is a picture of them.
The S.E.R.E. was a great score;bought it for $20 at an antique shop. The Osprey I bought years ago that was mixed in with a bunch of cheap knives for $2! The other Micarta handled one(can't remember the name)I bought last year for $65. The metal handled model I swapped for something. That is one that has a poor design flaw in it.
The blade is held in place by a small hook at the rear of the handle and must be moved to allow the blade to open. The problem is that over time the hook loosens up allowing the blade to open in your pocket! Don't ask me how I know this! :mrgreen:
Attachments
AlMarKnife2018 2 001.jpg

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”