Military watches

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
mrwatch

Re: Military watches

Post by mrwatch »

knife7knut wrote:Looking through this post I thought I remembered having such a watch in my pile of parts watches and the like and sure enough I did. Pulled the case back off and found it is a 15 jewel Bulova.Doesn't work though;the balance wheel doesn't seem to function;looks like it might be off the pivot points. The case is a bit corroded but the internals seem to be intact. Is it worth having it fixed? Case is stamped "Ord Dept- of 66320 -Bulova Watch Co" in three lines
You describe it having a broken balance staff. Common non shock jeweled movements.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I like!
Attachments
rob and jackie 289.jpg
rob and jackie 290.jpg
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Here a couple, the Elgin fancy crystals are had to find. But I had them in stock.
Attachments
Christmas 2014 040.JPG
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

GerryD wrote:K7K I've just found this thread on MWR looks like its WWII and army ground forces http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthre ... PT-Watches
OK I looked at this site and the case number on mine is OF 66320. Inside the waterproof case it is a 15 jewel movement marked 10 AK whatever that means. Not sure if it is broken or dislodged but the balance shaft(the thing with the spring on it) does not turn when the watch is shaken.
I am going to take it to my local jeweler who is into vintage watches and does a lot of repair work and get an estimate to repair it.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

knife7knut wrote:
GerryD wrote:K7K I've just found this thread on MWR looks like its WWII and army ground forces http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthre ... PT-Watches
OK I looked at this site and the case number on mine is OF 66320. Inside the waterproof case it is a 15 jewel movement marked 10 AK whatever that means. Not sure if it is broken or dislodged but the balance shaft(the thing with the spring on it) does not turn when the watch is shaken.
I am going to take it to my local jeweler who is into vintage watches and does a lot of repair work and get an estimate to repair it.

10 AK refers to who actually made the movement for them.
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Do you know who AK is or was?
Scale Military

Post by Scale Military »

GerryD wrote:Thought I would share my Christmas present from my son and daughter.
It's called a Reconvillia and as rare as hens teeth, this one was bought in the late 1940's when the army were getting rid of the old style watches in favour of the Dirty Dozen. Its in unworn condition with the original issue Pig skin one piece strap also as rare as hens teeth.
That is one beautiful watch. That is kinda what my dream watch will look like. BTW, how large is it?
William C. Westmoreland "The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars."
George S. Patton Jr. "Live for something rather than die for nothing."
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Scale Military
Only just seen your post don't lurk on here very often now but its raining in blighty so I'm surfing. To answer your question the watch is one of the largest ATP's measuring 33mm. These Reconvilla watches are rare and represent good value at around £200 if you ever see one.This one keeps time on the wrist to about 30sec a day not bad for an eighty year old watch eh.
Here’s a nice watch with some family provenance, it is a Vertex Revue 57 ATP watch that somehow became the property of an RAF airman Flight Engineer Kenneth Board. He was shot down over Normandy on 7 August 1944 (Lancaster bomber) He subsequently got back to UK via the French resistance escape route, this automatically enlisted him into an exclusive club called the “Caterpillar club”. This watch is unlikely to have been issued to Kenneth its more likely he acquired it through unofficial channels but it’s still poignant as we’ve just passed the 75 commemoration of the Normandy landings.
Attachments
IMG_1148.jpg
IMG_1147.jpg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Yes. L is British pounds.
I think those watches you found look like they have age on them. I’m not an expert. But I believe that as a watch to wear they won’t bring much. To a collector however they are way more valuable. Try going on that watch forum. Also, try some military collectibles forums. They can probably tell you what you have price wise. You also have better chances of finding a collector there that would buy them. Fewer people these days wear watches. They use cell phone for the time. A collector however would probably like to buy them.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”