Help ID the Winterbottom knife

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Help ID the Winterbottom knife

Post by treefarmer »

Got 4 Queens in the mail today and I'm pretty sure the pattern numbers on 3 of them but the small real Winterbottom knife doesn't seem to fit any of the patterns on the lists we have.
The knife in question is 3.25" closed, bolsters on both ends appear to be the same size and it has 2 pen blades. Anybody have an idea what pattern it is? The one with the Rogers Bone is 3.3125" closed length and is defiantly a pattern # 21.
Treefarmer
4 Queens in the mail today from one seller
4 Queens in the mail today from one seller
What is the Winterbottom handled pattern?  It is equal ended, 3.25 closed.
What is the Winterbottom handled pattern? It is equal ended, 3.25 closed.
Both knives had what appeared to be tar paper residue on the blades.  That just ain't right!
Both knives had what appeared to be tar paper residue on the blades. That just ain't right!

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bdev

Re: Help ID the Winterbottom knife

Post by bdev »

The one with Rogers bone is a #3. The equal end is a #21. Even though one is tapered and one is equal end, Queen called them both sleeveboards. The equal end should have been called a Senator like other manufacturer's called them (ie: Case's 79 pattern). Queen made a Senator at 2.5" (pattern #5) which is an equal end . Same knife as your 21 but smaller.

This is the way I see it. Others may differ.

Bruno
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Bruno, thanks for the response, miss reading your posts.
The pattern list that you shared with me some time back shows the #21 to be 3.3125" and is described as a Sleeveboard, the #3 is named a Sleeveboard Pen and only 3.25" closed. I'm totally confused, as usual. I'm still hanging on to the name Sleeveboard Pen because both blades are pens and the dimension of 3.25 matches the list. The difference in length, 0.0625" is a lot closer than most carpenters work, maybe not cabinet makers, but reading a tape or ruler is not quite like the answer from a micrometer. That being said I feel like there are knives that are misread, not intentionally but just because it is difficult. This morning I thought both knives were 3 1/4" long but they are not after accurately measuring.
As you said others may differ. ::shrug:: At least I was able to ID the Trapper and the 4" Stockman. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hey Bruno!
Very nice to meet you.
Here's a question for ya.
I have the same equal end as this one. But is etched #3.
???
Mine is a 76' tang stamp. Could be a transition?
Thanks!
And great knives again tree!
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
bdev

Post by bdev »

WillyCamaro wrote:Hey Bruno!
Very nice to meet you.
Here's a question for ya.
I have the same equal end as this one. But is etched #3.
???
Mine is a 76' tang stamp. Could be a transition?
Thanks!
And great knives again tree!
Hi WillyC, I think you are right about being a transitional. Queen probably used the #3 for that pattern even though it was used previously for an "un-equal" pattern. Sort of confuses everything.

If you have Sargent's 6th edition book, check pages 347 and 364. You will see both the #3 and #21 pattern shown.

Hi Treefarmer.......I don't post as much as I used to. Usually just answer peoples questions when I know the answers. Gave up the knife collection for my other passion, TAG Heuer wrist watches. I've kept my favorite knives and sold off the others to pay for the watches. I still check AAPK daily.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”