Whittling And Wood Carving In The Movies

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Whittling And Wood Carving In The Movies

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

The first one I posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=61533

This is a new one. I was watching the movie "Centurion" and there is a scene where a Roman is sitting and whittling a piece of wood. The scene lasts a few seconds and ends (picture #1). A couple/few minutes later, we see the finished product (picture #2).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Whittling And Wood Carving In The Movies

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Next up, we have the movie "Son In Law." It seems Grandpa is always on the porch whittling. The future "son in law" wants to join him, every time he sees him. I didn't show the entire conversation, just what pertained to whittling/carving. Over the course of the movie, it looks like he whittled a horse and a duck.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

In "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou," set in Depression-era Mississippi, the escaped convicts meet up with the Hogwallup guy, who is sitting there whittling away on a stick to kill time. Kind of a fun activity, just taking a sharp knife and reducing a branch to splinters for no particular reason.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

There was a Christmas special back in late 70's early 80's named 'Stubby Pringles Christmas', in it he whittled out a horse for a little fellows Christmas gift.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

tallguy606 wrote:In "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou," set in Depression-era Mississippi, the escaped convicts meet up with the Hogwallup guy, who is sitting there whittling away on a stick to kill time. Kind of a fun activity, just taking a sharp knife and reducing a branch to splinters for no particular reason.
Here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Just finished watching this one, for the 1000th time. "The Edge" starring Anthony Hopkins, Alec Baldwin, etc., etc. A wilderness survival movie. Charles (Anthony Hopkins) receives a knife for his birthday (pic #1). Fast forward, plane crash, survivors, Charles wants Steve to make a spear to catch food and gives him the knife. Fast forward (you never see Steve attempt to whittle/carve the stick), Steve does not make the spear. Steve cuts himself badly and eventually gets eaten by Bart the Bear. Haven't seen it? VERY good movie. ::tu::
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That knife was handmade for Hopkins by a Canadian whose name is lost to me. Nor do I recall if it was a gift to him, or he purchased it.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Quick Steel wrote:That knife was handmade for Hopkins by a Canadian whose name is lost to me. Nor do I recall if it was a gift to him, or he purchased it.
The knife makers name is Brian Lyttle. There is a good article on the knife in Blade Magazine (Google pocket knife from the edge).

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Just got done watching this Clint Eastwood classic, "High Plains Drifter." The first set of 5 pictures are of a wounded Morgan Allen, meeting up with Stacey Bridges and his "gang." Stacey is shown holding a knife, but we never see him whittle or carve anything.
Next, as Stacey is talking to Morgan Allen, we see the fruits of his labor (a sharpened stick) against Morgan Allen's throat. Next we see Stacey holding the stick and then pushing it in to Morgan Allens throat, finishing him off. Good deed done, Stacey puts the knife back in his pocket. The next set of 3 pictures are near the very end of the movie. We see Clint riding out of town and coming upon Mordecai carving something. It turns out that he was carving information into a tombstone. Never get a good view of the knife. The movie ends.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Tonight's entry, and it is a streeeeeeeeetch of my own topic's theme, is this memorable scene from Jaws. Quint, played by Robert Shaw, prematurely tries to remove or "carve" off the head of a Great White Shark for his trophy wall. But, as most of us know, Quint was well on his way to becoming shark excrement, when Chief Brody blew the shark up. A CLASSIC ::tu::
Attachments
image.jpeg

Skip
Robo

Post by Robo »

I'm not a whittler or carver but isn't hacking into a big ol' block of wood while gazing wistfully at a point on the far horizon one of the bigger no-nos?
Attachments
IMG_0652.jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Gilligan's Island. Season 3, episode 2, Gilligan vs. Gilligan. A Russian agent who looks and dresses exactly like Gilligan holds Gilligan captive and questions the castaways about their activities. However, nobody believes Gilligan's story and they accuse him of causing all the mischief. Ok, I know it's not a movie, but the co-star of this episode is a multi-tool. The spoon is a transmitter, the fork is a receiver and the knife blade is a knife blade. You never really see the whole multi-tool clearly. Hollywood made prop or legitimate multi-tool used as a fantasy tool? Pictures are of spy Gilligan whittling, transmitting, showing the real Gilligan the tool and the professor examining the tool at the end. There were many, many other shots of the tool, but these pictures give you the gist of the story.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg