Schrade 4-1/4" Locking Blade Saw

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Schrade 4-1/4" Locking Blade Saw

Post by orvet »

This project came from some discussion in another topic: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=62896

I thought it might be fun just to make a nice folding lock blade saw. I had plenty of parts to make it with so I took a set of Ducks Unlimited 97OT handle assembly and popped off the Delrin scales, and prepare the liners to receive what Culpepper called honey Amber CSB.

I stamped my logo on the mark side liner and added the year so that it will never be mistaken for a factory one off or an End-of-Days (EOD) knife.
I also etched my name on the saw blade. I was "in the moment" while doing this project and only took one picture of the process. That was after I had stamped the liner.
Marked mark side liner - 97OT lock blade saw.jpg
I had purchased some springs for the 96/97/296 frames so I used one of those for the spring. As I held everything together with pins I noticed that the teeth on this saw seen to have a set to them. It may be that the teeth are just very sharp and this causes the teeth hang up on the outside liner. The center liner, which is for the liner lock is not an issue as the spring force of the lock is pushing the blade away from the mark side liner.

I fashioned a partial liner like you often see on a true whittler, a center wedge-shaped liner. I don't have the equipment to mill a nice wedge-shaped liner but the one I made was slightly tapered and then I ended it a little ahead of the rocker pins. I used the liner from a different knife which wasn't quite wide enough so it sits below the level of the back springs. Not something I would normally do, but I was just trying to see if I could get the concept to work. I suppose you could call this a prototype.

The partial liner worked fantastically and the knife even has decent snap to it, for a liner lock.
Schrade 97OT locking saw h.jpg
I did taper the handles so they are wider at the rear. This gives you a better grip when pulling with the saw.
Schrade 97OT locking saw i.jpg
All in all, I was impressed with how well it worked for kind of a half-baked idea!
Schrade 97OT locking saw g.jpg

More pictures:
Schrade 97OT locking saw d.jpg
Schrade 97OT locking saw e.jpg
Schrade 97OT locking saw ff.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Doc B

Re: Schrade 4-1/4" Locking Blade Saw

Post by Doc B »

Pretty clever...pretty cool!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It looks good !
This gives me an idea that a 97OT re-handled in jigged bone would also look very nice. Bone could be drilled out in butt for the steel pick & tweezers. I think the 97OT is the most useful out door folding knife Schrade ever made. A knife with just the saw blade is neat but with a blade it is even 'neater'.
kj
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

kootenay joe wrote:It looks good !
This gives me an idea that a 97OT re-handled in jigged bone would also look very nice. Bone could be drilled out in butt for the steel pick & tweezers. I think the 97OT is the most useful out door folding knife Schrade ever made. A knife with just the saw blade is neat but with a blade it is even 'neater'.
kj
But that would be too easy, it's already been done! All you have to do is put new handles on a 97OT and there you go!
Besides if I was going to be in the woods I would probably be carrying a fixed blade is my primary knife or at least a large folder with a wider handle than the 97OT. Just my personal preferences.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I was just singing the praise of my fav. Schrade, not trying to 'knock' your fine saw blade knife. My hands are not that big. This could be why 97OT feels fine in hand for me. By "out doors" i was not meaning being in the backwoods as much as being on one's own property doing jobs.
kj
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Interesting, and well executed
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Dale, knife mechanic and mad scientist. Great job and boy does it look good as well. ::nod:: ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Very cool, nice Frankenknife Dale!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Awesome job! Great little thin thing to throw in the pocket. I had the opportunity to buy a Ducks Unlimited version of the 97OT with Staglon handles for $10. Not getting that was a seriously stupid mistake. Around the farm, I've noticed how little I need anything but a blade and a saw. The saws on the Taylor versions aren't good; and I have never been impressed by any Taylor Schrade I have owned. If someone gave me one as a gift, I always bought the Schrade USA equivalent not long after.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

For a "half baked" idea that came out very WELL DONE!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well.... dog gone it Dale. I have been looking for this thread to show up on another forum area I guess. I am just plain "teched" in the "haid" sometimes. I will soon get with the program.
Now I see where I need to LOOK FOR knife handle mods..... ..... forgive me y'all.

ANYWAY....
Dale, I loved your factory custom mod of that 97 OT.
She is a beauty!

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”