For high rollers only

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

For high rollers only

Post by Mumbleypeg »

:shock: https://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-CASE-XX- ... Sws59dLLUw.

Always amazes me when someone asks this much and then still wants the buyer to pay for shipping! :roll: I don’t think even if mint it’s worth even half what he’s asking. What say ye?

Ken
Attachments
5A5B71AC-21B2-4C8D-AE33-FE45CBE313E2.jpeg
5A5B71AC-21B2-4C8D-AE33-FE45CBE313E2.jpeg (32.55 KiB) Viewed 4078 times
DF9ADA3E-E811-4204-8DF9-B70539B0E74D.jpeg
DF9ADA3E-E811-4204-8DF9-B70539B0E74D.jpeg (32.61 KiB) Viewed 4078 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: For high rollers only

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Hopefully that was just a misplaced decimal point. I did that a couple of days ago. Someone was nice enough to point out that I was asking 17 thousand for a knife. I don’t own a knife worth that kind of money. And this one certainly isn’t.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
saltwaterebel

Post by saltwaterebel »

I submitted an offer of 20 bucks. Could catch him sleeping!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Without even looking at the listing, those blades are pretty spent. :roll:
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Sadly the knife value is only as a keepsake.

If the knife were Mint the price is not that far off
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "If the knife were Mint the price is not that far off" ($18,500)
Wow ! i had no idea that some vintage Case knives have such very high values. I had thought they topped out at about $4,000.
I looked at some of his other knife listings For the knives that i do know something about his asking prices are about 3-4 times usual market value. I did not see any that might be in the 'highly desirable' category.
I do not understand this selling strategy. I will not submit an offer if asking price is way above actual value. I think most collectors do the same.
It is hard to understand how he can get even one sale.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Even mint....that price is way off.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I hope Steve chimes in on this one... ::nod::

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
bladehound

Post by bladehound »

Hey, all you got to do is sell one knife and you made your salary for the day,month or year .
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

jlw257 wrote:Sadly the knife value is only as a keepsake.

If the knife were Mint the price is not that far off
I agree with Larry, if the knife were mint and completely authentic which we really can’t tell from only pictures, the price would not be far off. The problem is, with 100 year old plus old knives, very few if any actually exist. Jim Parker, love him or hate him, used to say “with real estate it’s location, location, and location. With old knives, it’s condition, condition, and condition.” By the time.you adjusted that particular knife for condition, you wouldn’t have a very large percentage of the mint value left in my opinion. It looks like the stamps are in very poor condition which is a large part of the value of an old knife , plus it has considerable wear on the blades. Love those old Rogers bone handles. ::tu::

Tom
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What i learned from this thread is what you 'guys' already know. No other production knife brand, anywhere, worldwide, have values anywhere near the value of vintage Case knives. I did not know how large the gap is because i did not know how high Case values can go, which seems to be about four times higher than i had imagined.
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

kootenay joe wrote:What i learned from this thread is what you 'guys' already know. No other production knife brand, anywhere, worldwide, have values anywhere near the value of vintage Case knives. I did not know how large the gap is because i did not know how high Case values can go, which seems to be about four times higher than i had imagined.
kj
Good morning Kootenjay, i read an article years ago in an American knife magazine about an extremely rare and in Mint condition Case pocket knife sold for $20,000. So i suppose to a collector of Case knives with the cash it was a good investment, things are always worth what someone is willing to pay for it. We would never see such knives over here. You have a good weekend my friend. ::handshake::
slimtrap48

Post by slimtrap48 »

LOL....Ken, you know my thoughts on this e-bay item.....Seller is way off for sure.
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Prices on Case Knives are up.
54 Rodger sold a 1970 10 Dot 5254 Trapper got $610. ::tu:: ::tu::

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3293235360
Attachments
E0429A1A-90D2-45C7-985B-F64885950E9E.jpeg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Prices on Case Knives are up."
Is this something you have observed over last say 1-2 years ? Or based on some recent sales ?
I am not a Case collector but would be happy to see any segment of the knife market showing increased interest.
I think i have seen an overall decrease in prices for collectible knives over the last about 20 years, or maybe longer. I have attributed this to younger people not being interested in knives to the extent that the older people have been and as older collectors pass on, there are fewer people who want their knives.
If prices for Case knives are increasing then it likely indicates more people wanting vintage Case knives and this interest is likely to spread to other brands.
GEC has brought new people into the world of knife collecting and maybe this has also stimulated an interest in vintage knives ?
It certainly would be a welcome turn around to see interest in knife collecting grow.
kj

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”