Pattern number info

Winchester entered the knife market as a manufacturer in 1919 by acquiring two existing knife companies; Eagle Knife Co. of Connecticut & Napanoch Knife Co. of New York. Winchester stepped away from the market in 1942 to focus on war related manufactured products, but re-entered in the late 1980s by licensing its name to Blue Grass Cutlery. Blue Grass had high quality knives made by Queen Cutlery that featured the Winchester brand name for a handful of years until the license arrangement ran its course. Winchester eventually started licensing to other companies & now you will find the brand name used by several knife manufacturers by way of license agreements.
Winchester M21

Pattern number info

Post by Winchester M21 »

How bout sharing what you know about pattern numbers and maybe even a picture to go along with it??

I purchased this jack on eBay and after the fact my good friend Stockman informed me how the first digit in the number indicates the number of blades!! Turns out my knife is missing a blade. I am a Winchester anything lover and these old knives have really got me intrigued!!
34C8FC78-F992-44B9-A9A6-EDF8BE467456.jpeg
E6DD3192-74A1-4569-9EC4-35CCA88E87BB.jpeg
B2A2BD46-AB4C-42A8-A82E-DA9C42421BED.jpeg
1BF79477-2538-411A-9F47-554FA15BC942.jpeg
Life is too short to carry an ugly knife!!
Shawn
woodwalker

Re: Pattern number info

Post by woodwalker »

I like your knife. Afraid I can't answer your question but am super glad you took the initiative to get the Winchester thread started. Thank you and Brian. We will learn a great deal I believe from this. Super job and super knife. I will learn as I go about these old Winchesters. :)
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

So there is no broken blade tang still in the knife? Someone totally removed a blade, and put the knife back together?
Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

Yes according to the pattern number this knife is missing a blade and back spring. Whoever done the work done it long enough and good enough ago that it looks original. I really like it because its slim and it tells you stories of the good ol days!!

I too am excited about this forum! There is a ton of knowledge amongst our members like stockman, RalphfAlsip and peanut740 as well as others!

I would like to thank Harold (stockman) for all the Winchester help and knowledge he has shared with me! For those of you that haven't met him he is a wonderful guy and is very knowledgeable about pocket knives!! Also Jerry (RalphAlsip) for all the help with Case knives. Haven't met him yet but will someday and I owe him a steak dinner or something!!

Come on lets get Winchester University blowing and going!! ::ds:: ::ds::

Shawn Massey
Shawn
Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

Here is a bit of info that Harold shared with me last night from - Price Guide to Collector knives by C. Houston Price.

First number of pattern indicates the number of blades.
Second number is handle material.
Last two are the pattern number.

0- Celluloid
1- Fancy Celluloid
2- Nickel Silver
3- Genuine Pearl
4- ??
5- ??
6- Cocobolo or other wood
7- Bone
8- Bone Stag
9- Sometimes used for bone

Maybe you have more info to back this up or to dispute it??

Shawn
Shawn
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Here's the page from Price and Zalesky's book. ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_20190718_074006018.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

Thanks Redrider!!
Shawn

Return to “Winchester Knife Collector's Forum”