Northwoods Signal Jack

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
kootenay joe

Re: Northwoods Signal Jack

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote from previous page:
"I took KJ’s post differently. He was being critical of the knife. Saying the new offering is not as unique or desirable as the earlier offerings.

Saying other than the potential to flip it why would you buy this knife? It’s just not that special.

Maybe I read it wrong ?"

Thank you. That is exactly what i was trying to say. Until i read this post i wondered if what i posted did not come out right. But it did, so good, i can stop doubting myself for the next few minutes. Older and live alone means you can be out in left field and no one is there to tell you.
I was also implying that the profit for Northwoods flippers is not what it was a year ago. There are still quite a few Northwoods Coolidge Jacks on ebay. After ebay & PP fees some of these sellers will not make any money. It is mostly the Micarta handled Northwoods that are 'stalling out'.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks for your kind words guys. Time to move on.
I was lucky today. Power was out until about 30 minutes ago so i could not even try to participate. Lucky because it saved me from getting frustrated by slow internet speeds (about 60 seconds per mouse click).
Those Mammoths look GREAT ! Congratulations on your dexterity.
And Mark, you passed on the mammoth ! ::uc:: I would have bought it from you and i'm sure there are others here who would also want it. Whatever, it's only a knife, sob, sob ::tear::
kj

I would have bought one just to sell to you at cost, but without knowing, I hated spending 224 I didn’t need to spend. If I can’t flip it here on AAPK, without upsetting some, then it would not be one I want. I think that selling it on EBay is very iffy. eBay threatened to ban me for selling over mammoth ivory. So I’m passing on all ivory and mammoth ivory knives.
Anytime one of these drops, send me a message and tell me and I will get one for you, at cost.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Great offer ! Thank you Mark. I actually wonder if GEC/Northwoods are going to continue to use mammoth. I hope so and more Giraffe as well. The mammoth that was used for this Signal Jack is absolutely first rate. And i see $224 for a mammoth handled GEC made knife to be a very good deal. About 5 years ago it was $239 for a mammoth or ivory Northwoods.
kj
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Love the Northwoods don't like the way KSF handled the sell on the Signal Jacks on my end. Log on miss the Mammoth with in 2 minutes they where gone and Mammoth is all that will come up. No option to buying other Signal Jacks . Did anyone else have this problem ? I no they didn't sell out all the other Signal Jacks in 2 minutes are maybe they did? ::shrug::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I got through the check out on two different knives and two different transactions before I looked at the mammoth and they were still there. After my third knife purchase they were gone. When I checked out I clicked on the “continue shopping” and it took me back to the Signal Jack page. The mammoth was the first one on top, but if you scrolled down the others were there as well, I bet you just needed to scroll down to find them Gary. I can’t tell you how many times I have done that very thing.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
tughillbrookie

Post by tughillbrookie »

I'm brand new to this forum and Northwoods knives, having only gotten into them last Fall (2018). I love them. Bought my first (harrison bay) through eBay and then signed up for the newsletter. Got a Madison Barlow and then a Coolidge Jack (giraffe bone, yay). I was really bummed about not being able to score one of the mammoth ones this week, even with preparation. It's a pattern and material I am still interested in acquiring.

Without trying offending anyone here, I'm genuinely interested in purchasing one of these in the mammoth.

You guys are fun to read and observe. I hope I can get myself integrated into your community.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Welcome. ::handshake:: You will fit in very well here, how much anyone fits in, is very much dependent on how much they wish to participate. ::tu:: Have a good weekend and hope you have success in your wish. :)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Welcome thb. If you keep a close watch on ebay, a mammoth Signal Hill jack will eventually show up. Price is usually high, maybe double KSF price.
This kind of demand that far exceeds supply is unusual for knives. Most knife buying is not like the GEC 'rumble'.
I hope you participate regularly with posts and pictures. There is a lot that can be learned by each of us sharing what little we do know.
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Beavertail wrote:I'll just wait for my email from Rough Ryder telling about their newest release.
At least I know I'll be able to get one. :mrgreen:
Very Funny. :mrgreen: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

tughillbrookie wrote:I'm brand new to this forum and Northwoods knives, having only gotten into them last Fall (2018). I love them. Bought my first (harrison bay) through eBay and then signed up for the newsletter. Got a Madison Barlow and then a Coolidge Jack (giraffe bone, yay). I was really bummed about not being able to score one of the mammoth ones this week, even with preparation. It's a pattern and material I am still interested in acquiring.

Without trying offending anyone here, I'm genuinely interested in purchasing one of these in the mammoth.

You guys are fun to read and observe. I hope I can get myself integrated into your community.
THB, welcome also to the forum. I started collecting GEC knives just last year about this time. Here and on EBay are good places to find them. I recently acquired 4 knives that are pretty rare from a fellow member. Just keep your eyes open and be prepared to move quickly when you see what you want, because it won’t last long.
I hope you find the mammoth Jack you are looking for. I have nothing against these knives, and I have owned a few with mammoth ivory over the years, but trying to sell them someday by either yourself or your family will be almost impossible some day soon. I was threatened by EBay to be banned over a mammoth knife I was trying to sell. Every time I put it up, they took it down, no matter how I changed the wording. And then a phone call that if I put it up again I would be kicked off of EBay.
Plus there are now about 9 states that have banned the sale of mammoth ivory now and more being added. I’m surprised that GEC is willing to make any knives with this handle material since it’s illegal to ship these to these 9 states. I guess the fines and penalties haven’t caught up to the sellers yet. With the way EBay collects sales tax now for all states that require it, I’m surprised they don’t have an algorithm that picks out the buyers state of residence and blocks you out of buying if your state is on that list. My guess is that day is coming soon when this happens. Can you imagine what will happen if an attorney general in a state like IL, which banned this last year by the way, goes after KSF or CK or even AAPK? It will put them out of business. If I were advising these companies, I would be sounding the alarm bell about this potential risk.
With that said, I know that any mammoth ivory knife I buy I won’t use and it will go into the collection. Someday either I or my wife or kids will have to sell it. So I’m just assessing the risks to my investments. In my former job, if I saw a risk like this to an investment I put a client’s money into, we would be having a conversation about getting out of that investment. Regulations can kill entire industries, just look at what happened to the coal industry under Obama. It was brutal.
tughillbrookie

Post by tughillbrookie »

Thanks guys. I know the mammoth is a niche and pipe dream material. I'm really bummed I missed this one and probably won't pay double... just not worth it since I'd use it. I use my Harrison Bay daily (promise to post pics of a used Northwoods). I use my Madison Barlow, too. Haven't used my Coolidge Jack yet....mostly because I may try to sell it. Looking forward to being part of this community.
-THB
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I and a few others here have sent GEC knives to "Muskrat Man" for re-handling in mammoth. His work is as good as it gets and charges are very reasonable. If you want to carry & use a GEC with mammoth handles this is a good option.
I have 3 GEC re-handled with mammoth by Muskrat Man. I could sell one. If you are interested send me a P.M.
kj
tughillbrookie

Post by tughillbrookie »

Appreciate the offer, KJ. I checked out Muskrat Man's web site. Very cool stuff.

Just checked eBay as well, for a Signal in Mammoth ... $599!!!! Seems nutty to me. I guess I could post a bid (low ball) and see if it goes through.
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

These covers are more than I could have hoped for given the short amount of time you have.
5A223379-DEDA-4E60-9FC1-32FD8A12434E.jpeg
-Tim
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

FarSide wrote:These covers are more than I could have hoped for given the short amount of time you have.

I’d say that was as near perfect as possible. Wow that is a nice knife.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

FarSide wrote:These covers are more than I could have hoped for given the short amount of time you have.
WOWZA!!! I'd say you hit the lottery jackpot, Farside. That's some SWEET Mammoth, for sure. Clearly the Knife Gods were smiling on you. Congrats. Well done. ::tu::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

QTCut5 wrote:
WOWZA!!! I'd say you hit the lottery jackpot, Farside. That's some SWEET Mammoth, for sure. Clearly the Knife Gods were smiling on you. Congrats. Well done. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

I’d say that was as near perfect as possible. Wow that is a nice knife.
Thank you
-Tim
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

FarSide, you have hit the jackpot there, well done, that is a " Bobby Dazzler ". With my limited experience about these drops and buying methods, i do think it is pot luck, as there are so many handle variables, but you just take what you can. You have really done well, that is one beautiful knife, enjoy. ::ds::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Does anyone know how many mammoth Signal Jacks were made ?
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:Does anyone know how many mammoth Signal Jacks were made ?
kj
I heard 98 Roland.

Very nice example Farside!

Mine showed up yesterday, nicely matched handles, may have a pin crack in mark side handle, hard to be sure with Mammoth, since its been stabilized I'm not going to worry about it. Sown with 2 other Northwoods Mammoth I have.
Attachments
IMG_0529 (1).jpg
IMG_0525.jpg
IMG_0526.jpg
IMG_0533.jpg
IMG_0534.jpg
IMG_0539.jpg
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

JohnR wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:Does anyone know how many mammoth Signal Jacks were made ?
kj
I heard 98 Roland.

Very nice example Farside!

Mine showed up yesterday, nicely matched handles, may have a pin crack in mark side handle, hard to be sure with Mammoth, since its been stabilized I'm not going to worry about it. Sown with 2 other Northwoods Mammoth I have.
cudgee wrote:FarSide, you have hit the jackpot there, well done, that is a " Bobby Dazzler ". With my limited experience about these drops and buying methods, i do think it is pot luck, as there are so many handle variables, but you just take what you can. You have really done well, that is one beautiful knife, enjoy. ::ds::
Thank you guys. lol-I had to look up “Bobby Dazzler”. I think I had heard that term before.
Nice group of Mammoth John. Your Signal is very nice. There is so much variation in the mammoth. So many great covers. I had my first one taken as soon as I tried to put it my cart. Then had to go back & try again. Just happened to spot the one I got. Didn’t think I would make it to checkout though.
-Tim
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

After seeing these gorgeous mammoth handles, I am regretting passing on them.
Here are the 3 that I got. Hard to pick a favorite, it’s between the jigged sienna bone and the Cocobolo. The grain on the Cocobolo is beautiful. But the jigged bone is top notch, right up there with the handles on the Waynorth Lambsfoot.
The Appaloosa bone reminds me of an Appaloosa pony a neighbor had when I was a kid. This looks just like that horse. I like this lighter coloration on this compared to the very evenly brown color on my last one.
Attachments
IMG_0886.jpeg
IMG_0882.jpeg
IMG_0873.jpeg
IMG_0878.jpeg
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:After seeing these gorgeous mammoth handles, I am regretting passing on them.
Here are the 3 that I got. Hard to pick a favorite, it’s between the jigged sienna bone and the Cocobolo. The grain on the Cocobolo is beautiful. But the jigged bone is top notch, right up there with the handles on the Waynorth Lambsfoot.
The Appaloosa bone reminds me of an Appaloosa pony a neighbor had when I was a kid. This looks just like that horse. I like this lighter coloration on this compared to the very evenly brown color on my last one.
Another nice group. It’s encouraging to see some different covers on this release. The color & jigging is very nice on the one. This pattern has proved to be very successful for Northwoods & GEC.
-Tim
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I try and try to buy a Northwoods knife. KnivesShipFree would rather sell Northwoods knives to Evilbay dealers. How can someone buy 5 knives and I can't buy even one ? Special buying software. They have different emails and bank accounts , buying as many knives they can afford with one click. Don't get mad , go buy a custom knife.
4557688345433.jpg
46588889911114.jpg
67788345333333.jpg
546777887899.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I find these knives interesting because of the whole Jess Crouch/Chris Wolf originals, which I wouldn't mind having. Would I pay $200+ for the Northwoods version? Well, I haven't yet but I like looking at the ones you guys have, which is fine for me right now. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”