Clean up question?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
OSCAR

Clean up question?

Post by OSCAR »

I have a knife that is in excellent condition but developed 2 tiny black spots (pinhead size). Flitz didn’t remove them. I thought of trying a Dremel tool with a cotton buffing bit and a bit of jewelers rouge. Is that advisable, or would it be better to leave it alone? Or does anyone know a way to remove them without lessening the value by causing damage? Thanks. Oscar
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Doc B

Re: Clean up question?

Post by Doc B »

Personally, I'd just try a pencil. If that doesn't remove it, I doubt jewelers rouge would remove it. I'd vote leave it, if pencil doesn't remove it...and keep it oiled or Renaissance wax.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You don't make any mention of where on the knife these two spots are (and didn't post a picture of said spots).That would have some bearing on the cleanup method.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I agree with Jerry, location would definitely affect the method that I use.
It's likely you may have a couple of pits that are deep enough in the steel that you cannot get them out without buffing a dimple into the surface where the dimples reside.

If it is on the blade or spring, I would follow docs advice and use a pencil on them. After that I would coat them with Eezox and repeat the Eezox treatment annually. Eezox will prevent rust and it will prevent it from spreading. Renaissance wax makes no such claim to my knowledge.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Sorry guys. Here’s a picture. The spot is not indented when I run a finger across it.
It seems very superficial. I’m guessing blade is carbon steel, spot is on blade. Not a big deal but if I can remove it, I’m a perfectionist. Thanks
701B0597-BD72-4517-AD80-F0FE278089C2.jpeg
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Not that I've seen everything but I've never seen anything like this. Start with the lead pencil and see where that takes you. My gut tells me nowhere but it's a fairly benign starting place.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Looks like a small cluster of tiny pin holes , To make one larger spot , I would hit it with a leather strop wheel and some rough , To get the color back , Leaving the pin holes A-lone ,
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I have something similar on a Case Doctor's Knife (1974). I have tried a lot of things
already mentioned here to no avail. Good luck with yours.

Bob
Kase's Kutlery Plus

Post by Kase's Kutlery Plus »

Personal opinion would be to try the buffing wheel.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

I would try different grades of steel wool. I use a basic dollar store stuff in my knife cleaning and seems to work good for a $ or 2.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
knives-are-quiet

Post by knives-are-quiet »

What brand knife is it?
It would help to determine the steel.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”