leather skiving knife?

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
mrwatch

leather skiving knife?

Post by mrwatch »

I know folks here do leather work. a leather skiving knife is a straight fixed blade edge that you push into the end of leather to thin or shave it thinner like for the ends of a strap for the snap. They sell new ones but looking for ideas to make my own. One person said he used a steak knife. I have a new plunge cutter for a block of hard cheese, which is thin, so I will try giving the edge a touch up. Not sure which would be better SS or regular steel.
Thanks, Bob
eveled

Re: leather skiving knife?

Post by eveled »

I use a very sharp carpenters chisel. I don’t push into the end but start 1/2 “ back and push towards the end.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: leather skiving knife?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

mrwatch wrote:I know folks here do leather work. a leather skiving knife is a straight fixed blade edge that you push into the end of leather to thin or shave it thinner like for the ends of a strap for the snap. They sell new ones but looking for ideas to make my own. One person said he used a steak knife. I have a new plunge cutter for a block of hard cheese, which is thin, so I will try giving the edge a touch up. Not sure which would be better SS or regular steel.
Thanks, Bob
I have this one that I have owned for almost 40 years. It is not the kind of thing you use much, but when you need one you need one. This one uses injector razor blades (which I don't think are available anymore). There is no name anywhere on it, I probably bought it when there used to be a Tandy store in town. This one uses the razor blade bent into an arc, rather than a straight edge. You would make several swipes across the edge to thin it with this one.
IMG_3035.JPG
IMG_3036.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”