Bone Feather...

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Doc B

Bone Feather...

Post by Doc B »

Might be a little bit of a stretch, to put this in the carvings...but I figured, this would be the closest topic...
Today was my anniversary. Also, my wife retired yesterday. I retired in March. Chrissy wanted to go have a picnic, at the park, on Lackland Air Force Base's picnic grounds...where we had our reception, 38 years ago. Headed to 100 degrees today...so we went early and had a brunch, about 10:00. Who gets married and has a reception, outside, in Texas, on August 1st? ::facepalm::
Anyway...I "carved" her this feather from a piece of camel bone. I mostly used burs, in a hand held handpiece; then, accentuated and defined the lines, with a sharp carving instrument. Tried to give it a bit of curve, to give it some dimension.
Shout out to Wade, (Colonel 26)...happy 16th anniversary...haven't seen you on the forum, in a bit. Hopefully you're enjoying the summer and / or getting some work, out of those boys...before getting back to school. Also happy anniversary Phil (Philco), who just beat us to both our 38th's.
IMG_1487.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg
IMG_1497.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Bone Feather...

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Congrats Doc B. Very, very cool looking carving! ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Very nice!!!
And congrats on 38!
Becky and I hit 37 back in April.
I was in Lackland the August before your reception - July-August 1980. Yup. HOT
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

DocB, that turned out really knice. A perfect forum to post it in. and Congratulations on 38, you've got a great start. You are well on the way to a fabulous finish which is the important thing. Glad for you memories. And marriage that stands up to 100 degrees is a well seasoned marriage. Happiest for the 38 years but the feather turned out pretty knice too. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Looks great ::tu:: I like the color and the detail. Congratulations! My wife and I have been married 30yr July1 this year. While I'm sure it's not as hot as in Texas it was in the 90s the year we married and usually pretty warm and humid for Michigan weather.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

To take the insanity, one step further...we left to her hometown (in northern California)...for our honeymoon...in my UNAIRCONDITINED Pinto station wagon. Guess what's between Texas and California...yep...desert. We constantly had a jug of iced tea and drove through nights. Honestly...I don't remember it being unbearable. Youth...love...ha! Takes a special woman to put up with me, for 38 years. ::facepalm::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Our honeymoon was a bit cooler. We woke up April 8th in Louisville, KY with a coating of snow.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Really cool home made presents like that...and it turned out Great !!!
And the pinto wagon, last car I ever owned back in the 1970's, been a
van or truck ever since, but it serviced me well I must admit...
And a big Ol Lone Star State Happy 38th to you and the misses
When my wife died last year, we were at 47 but steady, engaged, together 50 yrs 1 month
Ain't nothing in this whole universe a better thing than having the right women aside you
for decade's...make sure ya tell the wife we are wishing her the best on the forum as well...

Stag
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

stagman wrote:Really cool home made presents like that...and it turned out Great !!!
And the pinto wagon, last car I ever owned back in the 1970's, been a
van or truck ever since, but it serviced me well I must admit...
And a big Ol Lone Star State Happy 38th to you and the misses
When my wife died last year, we were at 47 but steady, engaged, together 50 yrs 1 month
Ain't nothing in this whole universe a better thing than having the right women aside you
for decade's...make sure ya tell the wife we are wishing her the best on the forum as well...

Stag
Thanks, Stag. Hope your 50 years of memories are keeping you going! Are you doing any prospecting, in this heat?
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Ah...on the prospecting question, that would be a big Ol No !!!
::td::

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”