Show off your fixed blades!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
tongueriver

Re: Show off your fixed blades!

Post by tongueriver »

Welcome back, Phaeton. Your knife is a 29A and it appears to have a stacked leather handle? If so, that would be rare. Mike and Mark Hangas (R.H. Ruana's grandsons) are still making these for something like $850. They also re-furbish heavily used knives (only in the Spring months) for a reasonable fee, and can furnish correct sheaths, if necessary. If your knife was cleaned up by them and a sheath (if needed), it could easily compete with their newly-made version, because yours was made by the old man, and because of the rare handle. If you go to the Ruanas for sale on ebay you will see some crazy prices, but they are not usually actually bringing those sums. Here are some URLs, possibly of interest.
https://www.ruanaknives.com/catalog-bowies

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... r+Form.pdf

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat= ... na&_sop=10

and here are Ebay completed listings. Many did not sell but you can tell that by noting carefully.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat= ... Complete=1

Meanwhile, Rudy signed many of his knives in his last years, but I don't know why. As far as 'production' knives definition goes, Every one of his knives, and of his son-in-law Victor Hangas, and of his grandsons Mike and Mark Hangas---- They are ALL made from scratch, hand forged custom knives, regardless of how prolific they are.
Phaeton

Post by Phaeton »

Thank you, this is a lot of information I had no idea about.
My daughter still likes to do the camping thing when she can, and unlike her older brother, does not have a history of chopping branches held against a rock.
Her D2 camp knife fits my stiff hands better anyway so we swapped.
RH Ruana original sheath.JPG
Sheath is broken in just right.
Again, thanks for your post.
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Case Rio Grade Camp Knife.
Attachments
Case XX Rio Grande Camp Knife 1990.JPG
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Charlie that one has me pondering at just what size does it cease being a fixed blade knife and become a sword.

Beautiful knife. ::tu::

What is the overall length ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

philco wrote:Charlie that one has me pondering at just what size does it cease being a fixed blade knife and become a sword.

It's 15" OAL. But it's not as big as this one. This one was actually designed as a "knife" to be carried in place of a sabre and has an OAL of 17 1/2"! It's a Cold Steel reproduction of the 1849 Rifleman's Knife. I'm pretty sure it could qualify as a short sword! :lol: Maybe someone out there will be able to tell us where the length of a blade officially ceases to be a knife and becomes a sword. There must be a standard somewhere. ::shrug::
Attachments
Cold Steel 1849 Rifleman's Knife.JPG

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

You can't have too much blade with Squatch in the area. Just sayin...
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

tongueriver wrote:You can't have too much blade with Squatch in the area. Just sayin...
Big feet, big hands, big tools. ::rotflol::

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

P1020218.JPG
P1020220.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Not what I think of when I think of Spyderco but that is a great looking knife. ::nod:: ::tu::
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Charlie that Case is awesome!

+1 on dogleg's comment, great looking FB QS!
steve99f
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Sasquach wrote:
philco wrote:Charlie that one has me pondering at just what size does it cease being a fixed blade knife and become a sword.

It's 15" OAL. But it's not as big as this one. This one was actually designed as a "knife" to be carried in place of a sabre and has an OAL of 17 1/2"! It's a Cold Steel reproduction of the 1849 Rifleman's Knife. I'm pretty sure it could qualify as a short sword! :lol: Maybe someone out there will be able to tell us where the length of a blade officially ceases to be a knife and becomes a sword. There must be a standard somewhere. ::shrug::
The standard is - there is no standard. A blade that is a knife for one person could be a short sword for another.

The general rule of thumb is that if a knife blade is too long to be easily used in an "ice pick hold", it is a short sword.

Another "rule of thumb" (or is it "rule of elbow"? :mrgreen: ), a knife has a blade length that is the same or shorter than the distance from the tip of the user's middle finger to the outside of the elbow.

Another set in quicksand opinion is "over XX inch blade = short sword", where XX = any integer between 10" and 20", depending on who's making the pronouncement.

Some hold that the difference between a knife and a sword is the handle construction. In German, messer means knife. Peasants couldn't own swords. Peasants could own knives. By German law, if the blade had a "knife handle" and was single edged, it was a knife.

The "grossmesser", or "big knife", could have a blade anywhere from 20" to 36"+ and be a two handed weapon but still be classified legally as a knife.

The "kriegmesser" or "war knife", was a curved blade, similar to cavalry saber, up to around 1.5 meters in length, and could have either a one or two handed handle. It was a knife.

So, "pick your standard and go for it." :mrgreen:
eveled

Post by eveled »

I always felt the blade grinds were different. But can’t really put parameters on it. Some swords have very knife like blades. But I’ve never questioned what a blade was. For some reason it is always obvious to me. But I can’t pinpoint a definitive definition.

Perhaps it does have to do with the user. Sting was very much a sword to Bilbo, but is Gandalf was holding it you’d think “nice knife”
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Hauled this BL HOWARD MISSISSIPPI in last week from a pawn shop...
Attachments
IMG_7485.JPG
IMG_7456.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Scott, that is one nice looking knife with great lines and a beautiful piece of stag. ___Dave
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

djknife13 wrote:Scott, that is one nice looking knife with great lines and a beautiful piece of stag. ___Dave
Ditto!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Scott, that is a beauty!
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

I'll make it unanimous......That's a real beauty Scott!!! ::tu::

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Thanks fellas..... ::handshake::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

zzyzzogeton wrote:
Sasquach wrote:

The standard is - there is no standard. A blade that is a knife for one person could be a short sword for another.

The general rule of thumb is that if a knife blade is too long to be easily used in an "ice pick hold", it is a short sword.

Another "rule of thumb" (or is it "rule of elbow"? :mrgreen: ), a knife has a blade length that is the same or shorter than the distance from the tip of the user's middle finger to the outside of the elbow.

Another set in quicksand opinion is "over XX inch blade = short sword", where XX = any integer between 10" and 20", depending on who's making the pronouncement.

Some hold that the difference between a knife and a sword is the handle construction. In German, messer means knife. Peasants couldn't own swords. Peasants could own knives. By German law, if the blade had a "knife handle" and was single edged, it was a knife.

The "grossmesser", or "big knife", could have a blade anywhere from 20" to 36"+ and be a two handed weapon but still be classified legally as a knife.

The "kriegmesser" or "war knife", was a curved blade, similar to cavalry saber, up to around 1.5 meters in length, and could have either a one or two handed handle. It was a knife.

So, "pick your standard and go for it." :mrgreen:
Okay. I figured there was a standard somewhere but I guess I should have expected a plethora of them given the nature of the subject. ::rotflol::

While I'm still not certain of the demarcation point, I come away with knowledge I didn't have before.....that's always a good thing! ::super_happy::

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I'll put my 2 ¢ worth in as well. That is one fine looking knife!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Phaeton wrote:
tongueriver wrote:This thread needs a bump. This Vic Hangas (Ruana, 1990ish) bowie is in the mail, I hope.
vic6.jpg
I have been gone over a year. A tale of woe and sadness to be related on a bleeding heart forum.

I sold off most of my knives, including two out of three of my Ruana's. I always thought my camping knife was a one off of some other design.
RH Ruana was the family camping knife.JPG Notice the similarity
Ruana not mine.jpg
Now I am curious about the knife but do not have the experience to search out the information. This is a two year old thread I found the picture in but it is the only mention of this knife I have ever found. I may have to sell a another sword or knife and more knowledge can only help.

I acquired the knife in 1982. The two skinning knives I sold were from the '40's, I had skinned moose with them as a youngster.
Anyway, the knife is pretty beater, ten full seasons of camping with children. Yeah, I let them play with knives.

Another of the reasons I considered it a one off, it has a slight bend from quenching. At least that is my guess, there is a twist, small but discernible when sighting down the blade. 36 years of use, it has no cracks and holds an edge evenly along its full length, but the twist is there.

RH Ruana used hard for years, not much collector value left.JPG
At least the signature puts a date on it. But why would a production knife be signed?
A quick comment on the "bent" blade, it is probably warped not bent, and that is a result of more hits on one side of the blade during forging or it could be uneven grinding then heat treating. I always count the number of strikes on each side of the blade, keeping the same number on each side. I know this by experience LOL. It doesn't hurt the hardness but will warp when tempering and hardening. Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

My take on it is:When you cease referring to the knife holder as a sheath and start referring to it as a scabbard then you can refer to the knife as a sword. Or not. Blade shape could also be a factor. I've never heard of a scimitar pattern being called a knife but rather a sword.JMHO folks;your mileage may vary.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I don't seem to have a sword yet. This may be a problem. I have looked many times at Miller Brothers Blades but never pulled the trigger. I don't think I would actually use a sword, but they do have an appeal. Also scissors, cleavers, scythes, 3B. I do have a Randall model 6.
scan001 - Copy.jpg
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Beautiful knife TR! ::clapping::

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Finally found a couple of knives at a yard sale.Western Boulder Colorado 5in fixed blade and a Zippo small folder with a blaze orange handle.$2.50 each.
Attachments
WesternBoulderColoradoPat.#1967475Hunter$2.50 001.jpg
WesternBoulderColoradoPat.#1967475Hunter$2.50 002.jpg
WesternBoulderColoradoPat.#1967475Hunter$2.50 003.jpg
ZippoFolderOrange$2.50 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”