CASE "Little Tadpole" 29-1/2 frame

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
zp4ja

CASE "Little Tadpole" 29-1/2 frame

Post by zp4ja »

Hello All,

Anyone have any CASE "Little Tadpole" 29-1/2 frames to share? Case's smallest jack knife at 2-1/2" long. Cool liitle pattern. I ran across 2 while going thru my collection. Hit them with some Blue Magic and took the pic below.

Thanks much Steve for the detail in your book. I was looking thru the price guides and did not see the 6229-1/2 (or other handle types in 29-1/2 frame) listed past CASE XX USA era. I knew that they were not made beyond USA era but did not realize that the 6229-1/2 was considered "relatively scarce" in that era since it was discontinued in 1967. Thanks for the detail in your book.

It looks like they made the 29-1/2 pattern back to at least the CASE BROTHERS era, from what I can tell. In TESTED era, it looks like that made quite a variety of handle types. In pearl, I.P., different bone colors and even imitation Tortoise.

I would love to see some if anyone has any, please share.

I have always had an interest in the rare CASE patterns but my interest in the CASE "extinct" patterns is really growing now also. Sometimes both go hand in hand.

Pictured is CASE XX USA 6229-1/2 and CASE XX 2229-1/2 LiitleTadpole

Regards, Jerry
Attachments
CASE XX USA 6229-half and CASE XX 2229_half_LiitleTadpole.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
j5109

Re: CASE "Little Tadpole" 29-1/2 frame

Post by j5109 »

HPIM0005.JPG
here is a few
cato

Post by cato »

sweet little fellers

here is a few
Attachments
ab tadpole 002.jpg
ab tadpole 005.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Great Tadoples guys!!!

Thanks for showing them.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice Tadpole showing gents!! ::tu:: KOOL little knife!! ::nod:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
slimpickins

Post by slimpickins »

Here's the two I have. XX slick black and W.R. Case and Sons rogers bone.Slim
Attachments
IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks John. Sweet little knives. Really liking the only two I got. Till I get ahold of some more...

Slim, good to hear from you again with such a bang!
Really liking that old Rogers Bone! My favorite Case handle material by the way.

Take care Guys. Keep the Tadpoles coming.

Regards, Jerry
slimpickins

Post by slimpickins »

Thanks Jerry. Curious thing about the W.R. tadpole is it's not shown in any of my references in rogers bone until the Bradford era.The knife was clenned but not taken apart so I'm thinking maybe a transition from the W.R. to Bradford era. Any opinions?Slim.
cannonball242000

Post by cannonball242000 »

I have one of those lil guys, I presume it's a cracked ice handle.
Attachments
IMAG1194.jpg
IMAG1196.jpg
Wes
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Here's a tested green bone. It is 2 5/8" so is it a 29 1/2 pattern? It has some nice pocket worn character and a little blade loss but still has snap and the green bone is great.
Attachments
2013-03-20_21-47-19_793.jpg
2013-03-20_21-48-23_736.jpg
2013-03-20_21-48-35_844.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

bkazz5 wrote:Here's a tested green bone. It is 2 5/8" so is it a 29 1/2 pattern? It has some nice pocket worn character and a little blade loss but still has snap and the green bone is great.
I personally think that is not a 29 frame. The frame is straight and not curved slightly like a 29 is. I think it MAY be a 6206-1/2, Little Guy or Tiny Jack, as they are called. I personally would open a new thread in this Case forum as some that may have additional opinions may not see it in this thread. Interesting shield.

Jerry
Lilrooster56

Post by Lilrooster56 »

Got a case xx tested tadpole in a single blade yellow handle just want to verify that they made a single blade here a picture
Attachments
2311C683-D6F2-40A9-BA1D-B8084D8B126F.png
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

zp4ja wrote:
bkazz5 wrote:Here's a tested green bone. It is 2 5/8" so is it a 29 1/2 pattern? It has some nice pocket worn character and a little blade loss but still has snap and the green bone is great.
I personally think that is not a 29 frame. The frame is straight and not curved slightly like a 29 is. I think it MAY be a 6206-1/2, Little Guy or Tiny Jack, as they are called. I personally would open a new thread in this Case forum as some that may have additional opinions may not see it in this thread. Interesting shield.

Jerry
This seems to be a sort of mystery. The research section on this forum says the 06 pattern is shorter the the 29, not longer. bkazz5 has stated his knife is 2-5/8. I agree that his knife is probably not a 29 for the reasons Jerry stated but then what the heck is it? Research section also states the 06 is called a tadpole. Do you think that may be incorrect?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Lilrooster56 wrote:Got a case xx tested tadpole in a single blade yellow handle just want to verify that they made a single blade here a picture
Sargent's 7th edition lists a 7129-1/2 Tested XX tortoise shell. No picture. No other single blade version listed though. ::shrug::

The 29 pattern "Tadpole" is a curved jack, 2-1/2 inches length. The 06 has a straight frame and is 2-5/8 inches long. The 06 is the 25 cent knife frame, aka a "Boy's Knife" .

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

The research section of this forum must have incorrect info for the 06 pattern. It says the 06 is 2 3/8 and is referred to as a tadpole. If the 06 is actually 2 5/8 then it makes since that bkazz5's knife is an 06 pattern.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

rugmar wrote:The research section of this forum must have incorrect info for the 06 pattern. It says the 06 is 2 3/8 and is referred to as a tadpole. If the 06 is actually 2 5/8 then it makes since that bkazz5's knife is an 06 pattern.
Bkazz post you're referring to is over 6 years old. His knife is for sure not a 29-1/2 because it doesn't have a curved frame. I've never heard of the 06 being called a Tadpole. The tadpole is the 29-1/2.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

rugmar

Post by rugmar »

Sorry, didn't notice that post being so old. :oops:
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

rugmar wrote:Sorry, didn't notice that post being so old. :oops:
I've done the same thing myself. Just trying to re-focus the discussion on the new post by lilrooster which I responded to. As for your comment about the info on the 06 pattern in the "Research" section here, it is incorrect. The 06 partner's length is in fact 2-5/8 inches, not 2-3/8. Possibly a typo error. As for the 06 being called a "Tadpole" , I can't say it has never happened but I've never heard it called a Tadpole before. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's three Tadpoles that I have.

They are very nice little, big, knives. :)
Attachments
DSCN1773.JPG
DSCN1774.JPG
DSCN1775.JPG
DSCN1776.JPG
Joe
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

FRJ wrote:Here's three Tadpoles that I have.

They are very nice little, big, knives. :)
SUH-WEEEET!!! Love the red one and the black one.
May have to start a hunt.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Steve Warden wrote: SUH-WEEEET!!! Love the red one and the black one.
Thanks Steve.
They are a very nice small pocket carry with two blades.

I hope you can find one (or two) you like Steve.
Joe
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

FRJ wrote:
Steve Warden wrote: SUH-WEEEET!!! Love the red one and the black one.
Thanks Steve.
They are a very nice small pocket carry with two blades.

I hope you can find one (or two) you like Steve.
Hey Gents,

Steve, Joe's analogy of "little big knife' I totally am on board with. Sounds odd but they are tight and snappy little jacks that feels like someone shrunk a big Jack. Kind of like a 27 frame stockman in my opinion. I have a few and they are cool little stockmans.

Joe, nice ones. Thanks for sharing. Interesting to see difference in the slick black examples you and I posted in regards to nail nick and stamp. Likely Cutler's choice or different blade be stock batch used.

Hope life finds you both well. Jerry
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Jerry. ::tu::

Hey, that little 33 on the bottom ain't bad either. :D
Attachments
IMG_5422.JPG
Joe

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”