Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
94 Winchester

Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Post by 94 Winchester »

Hello fellow knife collectors and all AAPK Members. Great site and proud to have become a new member and participant in what you all are doing here for the love of all things to do with collecting pocket knives.

Pictured below is one of a few different Display Cases I have designed and am making available to the Members here at AAPK. It is my take on and is built in the tradition of the Old General Store Counter Top Displays from the early 1900’s

I am a retired cabinet and furniture maker who got interested in knife collecting about 15 years ago. Was not happy with what was available for displaying my collection, so these pieces below were born out of my love of cabinetmaking and the need for a good looking and authentic way to enjoy my collection.

Anyway, I am new to the Member Stores and Forums, so I thought I would start real slow, learn the ropes and get my feet wet. But most importantly to get your folks feedback on what you see. So I welcome anything you guys have to say or thoughts. The Good and the Bad………..All comments and thoughts are welcome.

You can get some additional information at my Member Store at the following link;
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/94winchester
IMG_2821.JPG
IMG_2822.JPG
IMG_2830.JPG
IMG_2837.JPG
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/94winchester

Also here some previews of Displays I will be offering in the coming months. Again, please let me know what you folks think about one or all of them
IMG_1947.JPG
IMG_2299.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
IMG_2500.JPG
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Post by philco »

I like them. ::tu::

I could see this leading to another addiction to go along with my current knife addiction.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Doc B

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Post by Doc B »

94 Win...welcome to AAPK ::welcome:: You do some very nice work! Those are very nice display cabinets ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I was just discussing those with another member earlier today. They are very nice. I might have to get one (or two) later on in the year. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

94 Win, Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. In an upright position, do your cabinets hold the knives in place by the pressure of glass, or is wire or some other fixture needed? They all look excellent.
94 Winchester

Post by 94 Winchester »

Quick Steel wrote:94 Win, Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. In an upright position, do your cabinets hold the knives in place by the pressure of glass, or is wire or some other fixture needed? They all look excellent.
Hello Quick Steel and thank you for your question. On the very top case that I posted, as the first to be offered, the knives are held in place by the slope of the display and gravity. However I have also placed some small brass pins between the knives, spaced about 1" apart, that will keep the knives from slide slipping left or right if the display is bumped or moved. Hard to see in the picture.
IMG_2821.JPG

As you go down the line to the Display Plaque below, those knives rest horizontally on some of those same small brass pins to display the knives in a horizontal position.
1.JPG
Another application, on the display below, is that the knives are divided into their own small, recessed cradle. Which is probably the most traditional way the old case manufacturers built their upright displays.
1.JPG
Like the one below, all the rest of the displays pictured, the knives just rest on the crushed velvet backing, in a laid down position. None of the displays require the glass or any pressure against the knife, to hold it in position.
IMG_1947.JPG
Click on each individual photo to enlarge and get a better look

Whew..................Got kinda long winded on explaining. But hopefully I made some sense of it
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you 94. Your information is very clear.
94 Winchester

Post by 94 Winchester »

philco wrote:I like them. ::tu::

I could see this leading to another addiction to go along with my current knife addiction.
Thank you Phil for your positive comment. Only saving grace if this becomes an addiction, is that you can display a lot more of the other addiction for less damage to the old piggy bank ::dang::
94 Winchester

Post by 94 Winchester »

XX Case XX wrote:I was just discussing those with another member earlier today. They are very nice. I might have to get one (or two) later on in the year. ::nod::

Lonnie
94 Winchester

Post by 94 Winchester »

Doc B wrote:94 Win...welcome to AAPK ::welcome:: You do some very nice work! Those are very nice display cabinets ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you Doc B for the welcome. Glad to be a part of this community of collectors. And thank you for your comment and positive feedback
Lonnie

Return to “General Knife Discussion”