CASE XX 6231 1/2LP, STAG HANDLES ???

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
SteveC
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

CASE XX 6231 1/2LP, STAG HANDLES ???

Post by SteveC »

Just won this on eBay

From the seller:

" CASE XX 6231 1/2LP, STAG HANDLES, 1940-64, EXCELLENT CONDITION .

THIS KNIFE APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN REHANDLED CONSIDERING THAT THE PATTERN STAMP HAS A 6(BONE) AND NOT A 5(STAG). I ALSO CANT FIND ANY LISTINGS OF AN XX ERA STAG 31 PATTERN IN ANY OF MY CASE REFERENCE MATERIAL.

HANDLES ARE IN GREAT CONDITION WITH NO CHIPS OR CRACKS. VERY PRETTY, HEAVY STAG.

BLADES HAVE LIKE NEW SNAP ON OPEN AND CLOSE. NO WOBBLE WHEN OPEN. HAS BEEN LIGHTLY SHARPENED, BUT BLADES ARE NEAR FULL. VERY SOLID AND STURDY KNIFE.

On Aug-05-19 at 23:33:39 PDT, seller added the following information:
It has come to my attention that this knife has an error stamp. This pattern is known to have the wrong first digit it its pattern number. There are other knives like this one known to exist, but they are extremely rare. "

What do you experts think Rehandle or Rare wrong stamp error ?

Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
KleenCut61

Re: CASE XX 6231 1/2LP, STAG HANDLES ???

Post by KleenCut61 »

:D <Not the Expert You Seek , Wow Nice Stag On That One, Looks Period Correct ,Well Worn And A Very Nice Pattern . Good Luck ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm gonna cover my rear a little by stating that due to my internet service being out I'm looking at the pictures on my phone. But I think the handles are bone and original to the knife. ::stir::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The knife is a XX bone 6231 1/2 that has been rehandled with stag (assuming that is really stag).

Case never made a 31 pattern in stag in the XX era or later.

They did make a stag 31 in Tested but it was a 52031 1/2 with no lower bolster.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

This side sure looks like Stag to me.

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

I agree with what others have said. Yes, there are some model stamp errors but this is not one of them. Please provide a picture of blades closed looking directly down on blade spines. When closed, mainblade should extend past start of bolster. So hard to tell with provided pics but not buying "lightly sharpened with full blades" until I see requested pic. Mainblade looks short with provided pics. Could be wrong as I said.
Just trying to help out and not be a dark cloud.
Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
SteveC
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by SteveC »

Thanks for the responses. I don't have the knife yet and all these pics are from the eBay listing
Attachments
s-l1600 (6).jpg
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

It looks as though you have the answers you were seeking. I have something to add but I am certainly not an expert or really even knowledgeable on the subject. What I can tell you is that, in my opinion, it's still a very nice knife. To me, it looks like someone did a fantastic job of replacing the handles. They used a material that looks as old as the knife itself so it looks correct even if it's not. The great thing about that is you can sharpen it and stick it in your pocket and use it. If you feel you paid too much for what's not "the real deal", hey, it happens all the time. Just make the best of it and move on. I personally love your new knife!
SteveC
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by SteveC »

Thanks rugmar, I bought it knowing that it may have been re-handles and I got it for less than $50 so I'm not too worried about it. Just thought I'd see what the experts had to say.
4ever3

Post by 4ever3 »

Pile side is stag mark side is bone ::tounge::
Got Sowbelly's ?

jsteely@cox.net
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

SteveC wrote:Thanks for the responses. I don't have the knife yet and all these pics are from the eBay listing
Thanks Steve. Contrary to what the seller stated "blades lightly sharpened but near full", for whatever it is worth I disagree with that statement.
On the pic I requested, the main blade tip is barely short or barely reach's the bolster. That indicates a reprofiled blade due to more than light use and sharpening. The blade tip should extend about halfway roughly (depending on knife pattern) into the bolster.
Not the end of the world but description is inaccurate in my opinion in addition to his "wishful thinking" added note suggesting it is a rare factory error.
As they say, "buy the knife, not the story". One"s eyeballs and a good knife read always tell the story for you.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
SteveC
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by SteveC »

Thanks Jerry ! I wouldn't buy another knife from the guy. He has been extremely slow to ship and been kind of a jerk in my dealings with him. :roll:
I agree wishful thinking on his part. Hopefully it will be a good enough knife to keep but we shall see. :wink:

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”