2019 AAPK Forum Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
WillyCamaro

Re: 2019 AAPK Forum Knife

Post by WillyCamaro »

I just went to estimate shipping cost from the listing. Came out $63.48. I think it is quoting UPS rate. USPS First Class International is about the cheapest and best way to ship knives (anything internationally for that matter). I have to ship a knife down to a fellar in Arizona. Canada Post/USPS rates start $7.50 for ground and $10.50 for airmail. Exspresspost is $27.50 and top of the line is $37.50. I guess it goes by how valuable the item is. I think for a pocket knife I can wait a week to week and a half. And I still get tracking/$75 insurance.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

cudgee wrote:
Tsar Bomba wrote:You do understand the entire operation of maintaining the whole forum, stores, etc. which comprise AAPK is handled by this same "seller" - as essentially a one-man operation - IN ADDITION TO designing, special-ordering and procuring the knives through GEC, then turning those knives around to pack and ship to waiting members across the globe, all to make a unique and high-quality knife available to the users here, right?

Try PMing Bryan through the forum. He's posted on this thread already. Our collective experiences in dealing with Bryan over the years do not track with the implied dismissiveness you seem to be lambasting. It is entirely possible the man simply...missed your email inquiry on the middle of prepping and shipping over 100 knives.

Don't want to come off as ranting but Bryan deserves a little credit and leeway in dealing with a purchase from literally the other side of the planet.
I am new to the forum and do not know the internal workings of it, untill recently i had no idea who Brian was. I am not having a go at Brian, so can we clear that up straight away, i had no idea he was connected with the selling site. I was under the impression it was a knife seller contracted to sell AAPK collector knives, as i presume all other listed sellers are in some way licensed to sell on this site. So my rant was no way directed at Brian, okay. But now that it has been explained to me, he is obviously busy at the moment and has not had time to get back to me, i fully understand that. I know i am on the other side of the planet, and that is what can make it difficult purchasing cutlery.

Bryan does such an amazing job of running this site that it's hard to believe that he does most all of it by himself. Phil, (Philco), Dimitri (Miller Bro`s) and myself assist Bryan with some of the day-to-day housekeeping and administrative duties. Its really Brian that does the heavy lifting, as if he didn't have enough on his plate already.
We often get people who are new to AAPK about get upset because they don't get an answer to an email in what they consider a reasonable time, and most of the time they are right, anyone else would have answered their email much faster.
There were times many years ago that I would get a little frustrated when I didn't get an answer in what I thought was a timely manner. But I have learned that Bryan reads his emails and usually fixes whatever I had emailed him about even if he doesn't answer my email directly. Now with most people this would really annoy me, but I know Bryan and I understand he has an excellent reason for not answering my email and all the other hundreds of emails he gets every day.
Please read the post I made a couple years ago in which I recount, to the best of my memory, a short biography of Bryan which was posted on the AAPK homepage 10 years ago. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52851&p=581136&hil ... ic#p581136
If you read a little further in that thread Bryan gives us an update on his condition. I think it will be impressed and touched at the same time.

I also urge any other members who don't know Bryan story to follow the link and read my post. Even better read the whole topic in which I posted the story. Then you will understand why so many of our members are fiercely loyal to AAPK and to Bryan. ::handshake::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Orvet, i read your post about Brian last week, i do not even know how i stumbled across it, was humbling and impressive reading and well done to you. Up until that point i had never heard of Brian, had no idea who he was and no idea of his AAPK connection. I now realize how busy he, yourself and others must be running this forum, without people like yourself organisations such as this and many voluntary organisations across the world would not exist. So just to be clear i was not having a go at Brian, yourself or anyone else giving their time to run the Forum, which i thought i explained in my first post, i was very disillusioned and confused at what i thought was a completely independent retailer. Thank you for your answer, explanation and post about the AAPK history.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

No problems! ::handshake:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I've acted as go between for Grant (Shearer) who lives in NSW Aus, on knives the seller would not ship to Aus. I don't recall it ever costing more than $15 US for shipping but then I always ship the least expensive way available with no insurance. Grant always got his knife and it really didn't take an inordinate long time for him to receive it. Just my experience.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

$15 is about right if you ship first class postage without insurance.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Just got my favorite message from USPS!

Status
Out for Delivery
August 15, 2019 at 9:12 am
Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery Between 11:00am and 2:00pm
SWANSBORO, NC 28584
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Yaaaaaah Hooooo !!! ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: Mine just arrived and man it is a beauty ! I really believe this is the best yet as far as the AAPK knives go, and considering how fond I am of all the previous ones, that's saying a lot.

Thank you Bryan for making this spectacular knife available to us. ::handshake::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Same here. ::ds:: Only I have to wait until 1400 or after. ::facepalm::

Status
Out for Delivery

August 15, 2019 at 8:37 am
Out for Delivery
ROCKFORD, IL 61104
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

As gorgeous as I had hoped for, great fit and finish too! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::ds:: ::super_happy::
Attachments
IMG_20190814_210526611.jpg
IMG_20190814_210417280.jpg
IMG_20190814_210428869.jpg
IMG_20190814_210441119.jpg
IMG_20190814_210459686.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I don't collect GEC knives is a brand, but because I collect AAPK knives, OKCA knives and other knives, like Charlie Compagna's, I consequently have several GEC's. I don't have a permanent display for them as of now, so they sit in a drawer at the moment. When the AAPK knife arrived yesterday I thought that looked quite a bit like the 2019 OKCA club knife (Oregon Knife Collectors Association). So I took them out and took a couple pictures of them side-by-side. I was right! It's a nice pattern to begin with and now it's starting to grow on me! ::doh::
2019 Club Knives OKCA & AAPK a.jpg
2019 Club Knives OKCA & AAPK b.jpg
Thanks Bryan for a great choice in AAPK Club Knives this year! ::clapping::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Fortunately for OKCA, GEC already had the beaver shield. :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

jerryd6818 wrote:Fortunately for OKCA, GEC already had the beaver shield. :lol:

Yes, several years ago GEC made a club knife for OKCA, and I think they made the Beaver Tail series at the same time.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

orvet wrote:

Yes, several years ago GEC made a club knife for OKCA, and I think they made the Beaver Tail series at the same time.
So you're saying the tail wagged the dog instead of the other way around?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Old Hunter wrote:Just noticed the blade has both a long pull and a nail-nick - that is a unique design. OH
I agree it's unique nowadays but it was fairly common on old folding hunters the size of this one, about 100 years ago or more. There's a thread about knives having "double pulls" here somewhere with some examples. Great to see it revived on this knife. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I'm probably late, but are there any of these available? If so I would buy one. thanks, Terry ::shrug::
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

terryl308 wrote:I'm probably late, but are there any of these available? If so I would buy one. thanks, Terry ::shrug::
Terry there are still some to be had. Take a gander up to the top right of your screen and you should see a picture of one. Click on that and it'll take you to the page where you can place an order.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

jerryd6818 wrote:
orvet wrote:

So you're saying the tail wagged the dog instead of the other way around?
That was the way I understood it.
I could be wrong… it may rain... :lol: ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I just picked mine up out of the postal box and it is a dandy! ::ds::
Thanks to Bryan for another winner.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

As nice in hand as I’m the pictures - thanks Bryan! OH
Attachments
9E985423-8AAF-4E88-8555-CB09921B2FD2.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!! Way to go Bryan and GEC!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

My 2019 AAPK knife was delivered this morning and it is a fine knife! I would love to carry it but I won't, she'll just have sit there and look pretty with my other AAPK knives :)!
009.JPG
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Since I knew it was coming, of course the mail carrier was an hour later than normal but at least it got here. What a beauty.
Attachments
2019 AAPK Knife #97 GEC Allegheny - Labeled.JPG
2019 AAPK Knife #97 GEC Allegheny - Closed Pile.JPG
2019 AAPK Knife #97 GEC Allegheny - Blade Etch.JPG
2019 AAPK Knife #97 GEC Allegheny - Pattern Stamp.JPG
2019 AAPK Knife #97 GEC Allegheny - Tang Stamp.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Just noticed the marking on Jerry's tang stamp (checked mine too, and it's on last years AAPK Club Knife too). What does GECCAR stand for? I get that GEC is Great Eastern Cutlery, but what does "CAR" signify? OH
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You don't suppose it stands for CARBON, do ya? My 82 Dixie Stockman has CARBON spelled out on the tang so I assume the blades are 1095 Carbon Steel.
Attachments
GEC 828318 Dixie Stockman Elderberry Jig Bone - Tang Carbon.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”