Japaneese Water Stone

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
OSCAR

Re: Japaneese Water Stone

Post by OSCAR »

FRJ:
The idea of going to a more obtuse angle to finish off the edge is, to create a micro bevel. This way, you have more steel behind the edge and it (in theory) holds the edge longer. On my working knives, I started using a convex edge to accomplish the same thing.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you Oscar.
How do you create your convex edge?
Joe
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

FRJ wrote:Thank you Oscar.
How do you create your convex edge?
I'm hoping Oscar will answer your question about how he does it.

In the meantime, the two main ways I know of to do it are with a low-speed belt sharpener, like the WorkSharp, or by stropping with a flexible strop. The curvature of the belt or strop does the trick.

The Wicked Edge sharpener's web site shows a third, more tedious method: create and polish a primary (shallower) angle, then create and polish a steeper secondary angle. Then, you pick an angle halfway in between to blend the two and then finish up with a strop to smooth it all out. For me, this one would definitely require an angled guide system!

https://support.wickededgeusa.com/porta ... onvex-edge
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Daryl.
All are viable sharpening techniques. Limited, but viable. :)
Joe
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

OSCAR wrote:Daryl. You’re very welcome. I believe I’d call it quits and use whatever method works for you. The money you save not buying more stones can be spent on knives.

A quick update: The problem was the "cheap" $60 stone set.

I just unearthed my old Arkansas tri-hone and, using the exact same technique, put a razor-sharp edge on that same knife in about ten minutes with hardly any effort.

Anybody want a set of Knife Planet water stones? (Just kidding -- the set I have is not even worth the shipping cost!)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Daryl, Good Japanese water stones work great but they are costly and they tend to wear down quickly . They need to be maintained. I have used them in the past but not anymore. Too much trouble. Oscar
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

OSCAR wrote:Daryl, Good Japanese water stones work great but they are costly and they tend to wear down quickly . They need to be maintained. I have used them in the past but not anymore. Too much trouble. Oscar
I think I've learned my lesson. I'm back to good old, affordable Arkansas stones, along with my Lansky angled rod system for quick touch-ups.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”