Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Old Hunter

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Old Hunter »

That is a Buck Knife unique design alteration - the three spring USA made Stockman pattern knives (301, 303) also have the reverse position Sheepfoot. OH
Attachments
C24CE0F3-B184-4595-A687-B3FC928EB330.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Modern Slip Joints wrote:Byrd,
Partly because the blade shape I use most often is a sheep's foot I love Stockmans. I wonder if the Chinese relocated the sheep's foot to the left end to make it easier to open without making it stick up above the other blades like many Stockmans do. It never ocurred to me that sheep's foot blades remaining further out of the handle made Stockmans uncomfortable in the hand until I read that on the internet but some people do not like a high sheep's foot. I believe Stockmans are made with high sheep's foot blades to make the most frequently used blade quick to open. For those who think it's a problem switching the sheep's foot and spey might alleviate the problem. It does make the 371 recognizable as Chinese.
Old Hunter wrote:That is a Buck Knife unique design alteration - the three spring USA made Stockman pattern knives (301, 303) also have the reverse position Sheepfoot. OH
Old Hunter is correct. Buck made that blade swap to all of the 300 series Stockman knives in 1988 when they also added a third back spring. The blade swap was necessary because each spring acted as a spacer and therefore, two spacers could not be next to each other. The sheepsfoot is wider than the spey from edge to spine and unless it was the center blade, it would cover the nail nick of the spey blade making it difficult or impossible to open the spey.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I forgot about Buck's three spring Stockmans. I like my older ones. I was wrong writing that the reverse sheep's foot and spey positions identifies the 371 as Chinese. Is the Chinese 371 a three spring?
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

The 371 is a 3 spring.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Yet, another 110 w/sheath.
Nothing particularly special about this “4 dot,” I just like these old workhorses. And, even though I already had a comparable “4 dot,” it was just $17.
I just couldn’t pass it up. :D
Attachments
F1AA4A38-7F46-431D-8F27-0947D7A2DE9D.jpeg
8F4CE547-EEB8-4EDA-B8BE-CC27C26F7E5F.jpeg
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

::tu:: For $17 I'd snag it too! Great find and it's in great condition.
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Byrd wrote:::tu:: For $17 I'd snag it too! Great find and it's in great condition.
Thanks, Byrd.

It had resided in its leather sheath for quite some time, judging from the verdi gris on the brass and the light rust on the blade.
(I wish I had taken a “before” pic.)

I have given the blade a little clean up with 0000 steel wool, followed by some Flitz on a polishing cloth.

I’m not sure yet if I want to polish the brass or leave it with the years of patina and blood stains.
Attachments
D92B888E-C5BE-4504-948E-F6A9D07A97A6.jpeg
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Polish it and let all the patina be from your own use. That's what I'd do...
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Here's a four dot I received from an old journeyman I apprenticed for when I first got in the trade.I allways loved the fishing scene on the blade.
Attachments
IMG_0915.JPG
IMG_0916.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Very nice Buck 110 Dogg, I like the fishing scene too. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

That's sweet! I have a soft spot for 110's. What's your background? Are those spent cartridges hammered into a stump?
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

We have these scattered in the hunting area with a North arrow so the young hunter will be familiar with the area.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

That's a neat idea!
Tim174

Post by Tim174 »

Mail call! Buck .112.. first version FG. ::ds::
Attachments
IMG_4062.jpg
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

::ds:: Great find! I carried a 110 for years. This summer I got my first 112 and am becoming a convert. That one is in fine condition. Use it proudly. You'll like the finger grooves.
Tim174

Post by Tim174 »

Byrd wrote:::ds:: Great find! I carried a 110 for years. This summer I got my first 112 and am becoming a convert. That one is in fine condition. Use it proudly. You'll like the finger grooves.
I'll not use it. I just add it to my small collection 112.
Attachments
IMG_3905.jpg
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

::tu:: Small collection? Sweet collection!
Tim174

Post by Tim174 »

Byrd wrote:::tu:: Small collection? Sweet collection!
Thank!
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

SMALL ::undecided:: Thats a nice collection ::nod:: ::nod::
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I received a package today from Mike (XX Case XX). I knew the package was coming but I thought it contained 2 t-shirts and nothing else.

The package was stuffed full of other goodies as well as the t-shirts and this sweet Buck 110 was one of them. It's an SKBlades Exclusive and they call it "The Shield". Great Buck knife and the sheath is even super cool!
Attachments
IMG_5088.JPG
IMG_5089.JPG
IMG_5090.JPG
IMG_5087.JPG
Rick T.

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Railsplitter wrote:I received a package today from Mike (XX Case XX). I knew the package was coming but I thought it contained 2 t-shirts and nothing else.

The package was stuffed full of other goodies as well as the t-shirts and this sweet Buck 110 was one of them. It's an SKBlades Exclusive and they call it "The Shield". Great Buck knife and the sheath is even super cool!
Nice one! I've been using mine hard since my folks bought it for my birthday in November (I told them about the preorder when it first came out; since the Smokejumper, at the time, was out of stock). In fact, harder than my standard 110s. The edge has held up very well, and I quite like the drop point blade. Even though I rarely use it (the 110LT pocket-carries much better than a brass/ebony one); I quite like the sheath as well. Buck's nylon sheath (despite being made in China) is one of the better ones out there; and I'm a big fan of the blue on black color scheme. Now I just wish Buck could figure out how to make it over here.

SK Blades is coming out with a 112LT Slim version of the Smokejumper and Shield--I can't wait! Been wanting an American made, one-hand opening clip-carry folder, and it suits the bill quite well.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

cody6268 wrote: Nice one! I've been using mine hard since my folks bought it for my birthday in November (I told them about the preorder when it first came out; since the Smokejumper, at the time, was out of stock). In fact, harder than my standard 110s. The edge has held up very well, and I quite like the drop point blade. Even though I rarely use it (the 110LT pocket-carries much better than a brass/ebony one); I quite like the sheath as well. Buck's nylon sheath (despite being made in China) is one of the better ones out there; and I'm a big fan of the blue on black color scheme. Now I just wish Buck could figure out how to make it over here.

SK Blades is coming out with a 112LT Slim version of the Smokejumper and Shield--I can't wait! Been wanting an American made, one-hand opening clip-carry folder, and it suits the bill quite well.
Thanks for info and review. There was mention of a 2 blade 301 exclusive from SKBlades as well and I'm keeping an eye out for that one.

I agree about Buck's nylon sheaths. I use one for my 112 and I like it a lot. Much less obtrusive than the leather sheaths and it fits my 112 perfectly. I think the snap closure makes it one of the best. Many nylon sheaths have Velcro closures and it's kind of hard to find a good one with a snap closure. I bought 2 extras for my 112 just in case they stop offering them in the future.
Rick T.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Hey Rick. What about the t-shirts? Don't we get to see them?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

jerryd6818 wrote:Hey Rick. What about the t-shirts? Don't we get to see them?
Well heck yes! I don't have my own pics yet but I'm sure Mike wouldn't mind if I used his.
Attachments
Chase 1.jpg
Chase 2.jpg
Dale 1.jpg
Dale 2.jpg
Rick T.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Air yee go. Excellent.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”