GEC#29 Stockyard Whittler knife 2019

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC#29 Stockyard Whittler knife 2019

Post by jerryd6818 »

I don't know. I like the Maple Leaf shield.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have the M&G version of this pattern, with Apaloosa bone handles and it is excellent in all regards. I would like one of the GEC Stockyard Whittlers because it has the punch blade which is a favorite of mine. I would really like one with stag or snakewood handles, as do a few thousand other people.
Because i live in 'Slow Internet Land' i have not been able to secure any of the popular GEC releases for the last 2-3 years. I don't mind paying 'extra', but on principle i won't feed an ebay flipper a double.
So, if anyone here just happens to score an extra stag or snakewood #29, i'd sure like to have a chance for it. :D
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I just got my Blood Red Jigged Bone in this Pattern from Barry at Gunstock Jacks. I can not remember when I have been more excited about a knife pattern. Everyone of these has been absolutely perfect. My Maher and Grosh were just over the top. This red jigged bone is amazing. So much in fact, I just ordered a second one. Still hoping to score a Snakewood and a stag in this. If anyone is on the fence about buying one of these in any handle material, don’t hesitate, buy it. I think these will be ones that will appreciate in value so if you don’t use it, put it back and sell it later. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Received my Snakewood and Red jigged bone Northfields today, both have excellent fit and finish and all blades have great snap and pulls, much better than the first grits with butter and molasses which has a weak main blade. I suspect that as a new pattern progresses in production the later ones will have any kinks worked out.
The jigging on the red jigged bone is excellent, much better than the production pictures showed.
The Snakewood is disappointing in that the wood is very plain, no snake to it, I suspect that this is why GEC cut the Snakewood production short, just did not have good Snakewood, I'll either sell it or make it my first Northfield carry knife. Probably should not buy a wood like Snakewood without seeing individual pictures.
Attachments
IMG_0819.jpg
IMG_0820.jpg
IMG_0822.jpg
IMG_0828.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Jigged blood red bone back in stock at Risner (traditionalpocketknives.com). Come & get 'em! ::ds::

Also ordered ebony AND user Appy bone Maher & Grosh whittlers. ::paranoid::

I knew these #29s were gonna lead to bankruptcy... ::facepalm::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Those are nice, I think the Northfield would would look good in a brownish color bone (JMO) maybe latter.

Been using the Osage for a few weeks, the clip could have a stronger pull but mine is all right. Secondary blades are just right, I was surprised how much I used the punch. Handles are common, bolsters have shined up a bit from pocket carry but I bought it for a work knife, if it gets dropped it shouldn't hurt much. I carry a 73 or 72 pattern most of the time and don't notice any difference in the pocket.

I've had the Sienna bone for a week and am very impressed with it. A much stronger pull on clip and secondary's, fit and finish on this one is excellent.
I like the bone and color on these Tidioute's...in fact we had some pork stakes together, yes this one's a keeper... :D

Hopefully they can straighten out the issue's with the pull and add some more bone handle's (Please no more Red).
Attachments
IMG_8632.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Saw the 29's announced and was watching them go quickly but I just couldn't get excited.
Than I ran across a youtube video showing that all three blades had half stops. ::dang::
My blood red jigged bone arrived today and impressed me to the point the money (which came from I know not where) jumped out and now there is another blood red 29 inbound. As an aside mine has perfect f&f and w&t.

I'd post pics but the ones already in the thread are better than anything I can do.
Trace
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

First of the Stag's dropped at KSF this morning, went in 20 minutes, I think there were less than 20. Keep your eye out at the other dealers if you are interested. I think I got a good one.
Attachments
gec-29-sambar-stag-4__03391.1567605506.jpg
gec-29-sambar-stag-back-4__34114.1567605506.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Sure didn’t have enough time to look over the selection at the Knife Connection. But this is the one I got. I just scrolled fast down the page and picked one that looked like it had good coverage of stag. This wasn’t the best by far but at least I was able to get one, for that I feel fortunate.
Attachments
GEC-N291319-SS8.jpg
GEC-N291319-SS8_alt1.jpg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, i think your stag #29 looks very attractive. Bet it will be even more so once in hand.
GEC dealers still have the 29 in both the Burnt Sienna and the Blood Red bone. Can anyone recommend if one looks better than the other ?
kj
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

For me personally the jigging along with coloring on the blood red sends it over the top! But that's just me. The shield along with jigging/coloring is much more reserved/understated elegance on the burnt sienna.
If I were you I would get both and sell the one you don't like for a big profit :mrgreen:
Edit: On another note. I just scored my second GEC. The #29 in bloodwood from Dale over @ the knife connection. He had 2 left, and now only 1... :mrgreen:
The handle coloring sold me the second I saw it. I'm a sucker for fancy woods (Woodworking days). Hope she turned out as good as the AAPK 2019 #97. Boy did it turn out good! ::tu::
Attachments
GEC-N291319-BW.jpg
GEC-N291319-BW_alt1.jpg
GEC-N291319-BW_alt2.jpg
GEC-N291319-BW_alt3.jpg
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:Mark, i think your stag #29 looks very attractive. Bet it will be even more so once in hand.
GEC dealers still have the 29 in both the Burnt Sienna and the Blood Red bone. Can anyone recommend if one looks better than the other ?
kj
I have two of each. The Blood Red jigged bone would be my first choice. I would have passed on the sienna bone if I had seen this red one first. Seems like GEC uses this color too much lately, although they give it various names, they all start to look alike.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, are you meaning too much of the "Sienna" bone color ?
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

20190905_152256.jpg
20190905_151540.jpg
Here is my curly maple alongside a Winchester 3904.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:Mark, are you meaning too much of the "Sienna" bone color ?
kj

Yes. It’s so similar to the autumn bone and the others that were used on almost every release this year. Even the Waynorth’s had this color, again they call it something different and the color is slightly different for each but so close I can hardly tell the difference. I just wish if they had a “go to” color it wasn’t a brown color but a red, green or blue. I really liked the elderberry bone they did and this blood red is top notch.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:GEC dealers still have the 29 in both the Burnt Sienna and the Blood Red bone. Can anyone recommend if one looks better than the other ?
kj
Roland, here is a side-by-side picture for you to evaluate. Besides difference in bone color and jigging, you will notice differences (embellishments) that the Northfield trim has over the Tidioute trim. Differences include pinched bolster, lined bolster , long pull, swedge on clip, and likely others I didn't catch.

I have carried the Tidioute a few times and it is a comfortable size and with a useful blade selection. I fiddle with stuff in my pockets. I don't like the sharp edges on the exposed parts of the tang. Even though the clip blade tip is recessed into the frame, I can still prick my finger on the blade tip.
Attachments
GEC 29 Compare Tidioute & Northfield.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for this help. I only just now realized that one is Tidioute and the other Northfield. I do prefer the Northfield 'trim'. I find the Tidioute a bit 'plain Jane', but i do like the Sienna bone color.
I also asked because sometimes a particular run comes out 'just right', every knife. I have not seen a post that speaks of an issue for either of these.
Most GEC dealers have examples of both available but the Snakewood and Bloodwood were quickly snapped up. Odd that the bone ones are slow to sell.
However sometimes there is a sudden 'turn-around' so i will get a Northfield with the red jigged bone while they are still plentiful.
kj
Fisherman79

Post by Fisherman79 »

GP Knives dropped 5 more stags at around 1:35 EST today. I was lucky enough to grab the last one. I held my breath for 3 minutes hoping for a an order confirmation email. At precisely 2:02 and 27 seconds the order confirmation email arrived. Today was my lucky day !

This will be my 2nd #29 Whittler. I also have the Bloodwood which is gorgeous. The dark red jig bone and burnt sienna jig bone are nice too. I'm hoping the dark red jig and burnt sienna jig remain in stock until the copperhead jig pattern comes out. I'd hate to choose between the red jig and sienna jig only for the copperhead jig to come out next week and cause me to regret a purchase decision. On the flip side...…….If I wait the red and sienna jib could go out of stock.

The leather punch is so useful for those who use knives. Using the leather punch can really save the blade point on your blades. We have all chipped, bent, or worn out many a blade point in our lives. I need at least 3 of this pattern. I know I will need 2 to carry and 1 to put up for the "collector game."
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Stag showed up today, best one yet, great fit and finish, perfect pulls.
Attachments
IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Just ordered a stag stockyard in the blind from CK. Fingers crossed.
Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

John, very good stag on your 29. You are a lucky guy. Way more people would like to get a stag #29 than there are stag 29's. Maybe a 1 in 10 chance of getting one ?
kj
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Probably even less then that. 1 in 20 or 1 in 100 chance, they only make a couple hundred and then that's it. Just looking on TKC and all the stag are gone ::shrug:: You got to be fast, or don't even try to get em'. To much stress fighting for 1, when there are many other ones to chose from. What can you do.
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

WillyCamaro wrote:Probably even less then that. 1 in 20 or 1 in 100 chance, they only make a couple hundred and then that's it. Just looking on TKC and all the stag are gone ::shrug:: You got to be fast, or don't even try to get em'. To much stress fighting for 1, when there are many other ones to chose from. What can you do.
Collectorknives has 6 left but you have to buy them in the blind.
Trace
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

K. Thanks Rotten ::tu::
I am passing on them, got me eyeballs stuck on a different GEC. And the blood red bone. I personally like the jigged bone and woods more then this run of sandbar (had to throw that out... :mrgreen: ). I guess each of us has our own unique tastes when it comes to knives, and everything else for that matter :D .
Winston Churchill

Stephen

Post by Stephen »

The 29 stags seem to me to be fairly expensive. I was able to find the last one at a dealer site for $149.00. I saw that another dealer had sold out of his small allotment for $159.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”