AAPK History

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Steve Warden

AAPK History

Post by Steve Warden »

Figured this was the place to post!

When did AAPK get started?
How?
Who?
What was the first post?
"Why" seems obvious, but lest I assume...

Just curious.

This place is absolutely incredible. The information available put out by folks who are more than willing to share their knowledge is amazing. The generosity goes way beyond what could be imagined. The folks here have proven themselves to be more than gentlemen and scholars!

Thanks to all who make AAPK such a great place!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: AAPK History

Post by jerryd6818 »

Bryan Sanders (the owner) started AAPK in 2004. The first post was by Bryan on Sun Aug 29, 2004 at 12:20 pm. ---► viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3&p=3#p3
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Steve Warden wrote: The generosity goes way beyond what could be imagined. The folks here have proven themselves to be more than gentlemen and scholars!
Just remember Steve, you're part of the overall reason this is great place to be. Give yourself a hand as well... ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here's a link to something Dale (Orvet) posted that answers most of your other questions about how, when and why. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52851&p=581136&hil ... ic#p581136

To me at least, it's an amazing and uplifting story, an example God has given us so much ability that we can persevere and accomplish just about anything we have the faith and will to do, regardless our circumstance. Also makes me even more thankful to Bryan for providing us this amazing place that is AAPK! ::groove::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Here's a link to something Dale (Orvet) posted that answers most of your other questions about how, when and why.viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52851&p=581136&hil ... ic#p581136

To me at least, it's an amazing and uplifting story, an example God has given us so much ability that we can persevere and accomplish just about anything we have the faith and will to do, regardless our circumstance. Also makes me even more thankful to Bryan for providing us this amazing place that is AAPK! ::groove::

Ken
Wow! Amazing doesn't even begin to describe the love and dedication that Bryan obviously has for not only for this site, but for all of us who are members. Thank you Ken.

Bryan, to you, Sir, CHEERS!!

Jerry, thanks for the dates and link to post #1.

Mike, certainly appreciate the kind words.

To all who keep this place goin', TO FRIENDS!! ::handshake::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Steve, did you notice Bryan's first post was not all "look at me" and puffery? It was simply, here it is fellas. What can I do to make it better. That's my kind of guy.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Here's a link to something Dale (Orvet) posted that answers most of your other questions about how, when and why.viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52851&p=581136&hil ... ic#p581136

Ken
Wow, just Wow! Thanks for sharing this and my admiration for Bryan and what he does just sky rocketed. :D ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :D
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

jerryd6818 wrote:Steve, did you notice Bryan's first post was not all "look at me" and puffery? It was simply, here it is fellas. What can I do to make it better. That's my kind of guy.
I did notice.
The world would be a better place with more like him.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

High praise to Bryan and all the moderators. I am sure they spend a lot of time
keeping this site in a respectable order. They have interest in this hobby to
the extreme that most of us cannot even imagine.

Great question by the way.

Bob
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Although having some appreciation for traditional style pocket knives my first love was for fixed blades and especially Bowies. I was a member of several other blade forums. But as I experienced "the AAPK touch" I was drawn ever more deeply into the world of pocket knives and eventually left the other forums. In a nutshell, I was drawn by the quality of the people here: Bryan, the moderators, and the rich diversity of knowledge and personalities of the members. It is a great outfit!
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Wow. Just clicked on the link above by Dale. And then became a payed supporter of AAPK. This is the friendly knife forum. I have friends in similar situations to Bryan and that AAPK exists is astounding.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I've been here less than a year, but I have been on the 'net a long time - longer than the existence of the www. I've been on many, many discussion forums and I've seen the good, the great, the bad & the ugly (yeah, I stole that from Nick Shabazz). IMHO, there are a few things that all great forums have in common:

1) An owner that genuinely cares about the long-term quality of the forum.

2) Moderators that genuinely care about the long-term quality of the forum.

3) Members that genuinely care about the long-term quality of the forum.

This simple recipe creates a forum culture of collaboration, support and social interaction. Everyone wants to do the right thing AND everyone knows that everyone else wants to do the right thing. That's how healthy societies thrive. You don't have to always agree and you don't have to all think alike - but you do all have to agree that NOT always thinking alike is a pretty cool thing that only humans do.

I tip my virtual fedora to ALL OF YOU!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Here's a link to something Dale (Orvet) posted that answers most of your other questions about how, when and why. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52851&p=581136&hil ... ic#p581136

Ken

For those of you who read my post in the topic Ken linked to and didn’t go any farther, please click on the link below and on the next page in that topic Bryan updates his condition and corrects a couple inaccuracies in my rendition of his story. The story is even better when Bryan tells his story in his own words:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52851&hilit=Quadriplegic&start=45
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Is there a Lifetime Membership option? I'm just kidding but if there was, I would purchase one.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

after reading this thread and realizing how much I've grown to appreciate this place and it's members in the short time I've been here, I felt it was only fair that I become a supporting member. I don't need any of the benefits that come with being a S.M. but $20 a yr to keep this place up and running seems like a small price to pay for what you get and I doubt Bryan will be taking over Hef's spot any time soon with the AAPK residuals and royalties. HooAh!
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Great site.... great members.... great advice..... great vendors..... A+++ ::tu:: ...I find NO FAULT.
I am SO pleased to be a member here.
I am just plain ashamed I haven't kicked in my supporting dollars before now.
I enjoy this site so much.
Thanks!!

Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I'll add my kudos, wonderful people, my hats off to Bryan and all the moderators. My thanks to all that post the beautiful pictures and the wisdom that the aapk members dole out is most appreciated, the old catalog cuts are amazing, I never tire of the fine things I find on this site . THANKS. ::nod:: ::handshake:: PS oh yeah and we have fun too. ::poke:: ::watching_you::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

I finally took the plunge and bought gold membership. This is a wonderful site with some of the nicest people you will ever meet.
Kudos to everyone!
God Bless!
Willy
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Willy, did you click on the link in Mumbleypeg's post on the first page?
The link takes you to something I posted about Bryan telling his story.
If you haven't read it, you will have an entirely different appreciation for AAPK once you know Bryan's story!

With all the new members we have had coming in lately I thought I would make this thread a sticky.
I think people should be able to read the origins of AAPK to really appreciate what it means to so many of us.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Ok. I'll go take a look.
Thanks Dale ::tu::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Man i have to say, my day just got a little brighter ::tu::
It really is his legacy. I am now so proud to support him and all you wonderful people.
God really does work in mysterious ways, doesn't he.
I would someday love to meet Brain and "shake his hand".
Thank you Dale and the crew for supporting him all this time.
Happy days!
God Bless!
Willy
Winston Churchill

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

orvet wrote:Willy, did you click on the link in Mumbleypeg's post on the first page?
The link takes you to something I posted about Bryan telling his story.
If you haven't read it, you will have an entirely different appreciation for AAPK once you know Bryan's story!

With all the new members we have had coming in lately I thought I would make this thread a sticky.
I think people should be able to read the origins of AAPK to really appreciate what it means to so many of us.
::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

A wonderful site for Experts and Novices alike Really well done. A great group of people, Glad to be a part of it God bless you all, Gil
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Much respect and gratitude to Bryan
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Well I started emailing with Bryan bout Thanksgiving 2005....
I was cautious because I had never been on a public type forum before..
well did not take long too get a feel for Bryan, quite a fella he certain sure is !!!
1-2-06 I opened up my Clear Creek Knives store with Bryan's help....
had it till may 2019, 13 1/2 years...sold a lifetime of knives & met so, so, many good folk's...
Shut down after loosing my wife last year, 50 years 1 month together. She was a big part of
the store and shared all the excitement that went with it over the years, ya loose 1/2...well...
AAPK is a whole lot more than knives, it creates life long relationships where you can
share your problems with 100's of folk's and get answers & compassion without leaving your house !!!
A life changer...that is what AAPK & Bryan means to me !!!

Stag

Return to “General Knife Discussion”