Wood carving projects

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by treefarmer »

Very nice, OLDE CUTLER!
I found one of those Crosman air pistols at the dump many years ago. Took it back to the maintenance shop and put in a new O ring and pumped her up. The sights weren’t much but fun to mess with. We’d all go to jail today for stunts like that on school property. ::facepalm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Thanks for the comments on the grips. I bought a couple of airguns a few years back when rimfire ammo was hard to get and expensive. They will make just as good a hole in paper targets as a 22lr will. The Crosman 1377 shoots better than the "jerk behind the trigger" can. Like the 10/22 Ruger, there is a lot of accessories available for the 1377. Mine still has the plastic breech, I would like to upgrade it to a steel breech and better sights.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

OLDE CUTLER,
I dug around and found my old Crosman, it too is a model 1377. In script on the right side it says "American Classic" and there is a serial number on the left side. The frame appears to be made of some kind of pot metal, lots of the black finish is missing around the trigger guard. Yours appears to be much more refined than this refugee from the county dump 30 years ago. I'll have to clean it up and run a BB through it. :)
Treefarmer
012.JPG
Just figured how to date this things, first 3 or 4 number indicate the month and year of mfg. Mine starts with 1079XXXXX, October, 1979. :)

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

It has been a little cooler here the past few days, so I got out into the garage and did some pen turning.
From left: Indian Rosewood, a pair of oak burl, 2 walnut with maple bands, Indian rosewood/maple, and 2 walnut/maple/zebra wood laminate.
IMG_3044.JPG
An assortment of one piece walnut
IMG_3046.JPG
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:It has been a little cooler here the past few days, so I got out into the garage and did some pen turning.
From left: Indian Rosewood, a pair of oak burl, 2 walnut with maple bands, Indian rosewood/maple, and 2 walnut/maple/zebra wood laminate.
IMG_3044.JPG
An assortment of one piece walnut
IMG_3046.JPG
Wow! Those are really nice! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Some good looking pens OC. I have one and love it. Great job. ::tu:: ::tu::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I just finished up this wire and canvas mallard to add to my flock.
IMG_3049.JPG
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:I just finished up this wire and canvas mallard to add to my flock.

IMG_3049.JPG
That's very nice! I've never seen one like that.
I whittled out a simple fish looking lure for decoration. Think I'll do a few more in different colors and maybe add a trebble hook to a few.
Attachments
IMG_20190807_131614139.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Some very nice work, guys!! ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OC, typical of your very fine work. Always exceptional!!!! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Doug, I had a friend in Ohio many years ago that whittled his lures and used them. Yours looks great and the paint job as well. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:OC, typical of your very fine work. Always exceptional!!!! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Doug, I had a friend in Ohio many years ago that whittled his lures and used them. Yours looks great and the paint job as well. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Thanks! Did you ever get a lure from him? My uncle is trying to talk me into carving a fish decoy for spearing.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doug51 wrote:
doglegg wrote:OC, typical of your very fine work. Always exceptional!!!! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Thanks! Did you ever get a lure from him? My uncle is trying to talk me into carving a fish decoy for spearing.
Doug, at the time I was interested in neither fishing or whittling so I never did get one from him. The idea of a fish decoy sounds interesting. Would you make it out of bass wood or a heaver wood? ::shrug::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:
Doug51 wrote:
Doug, at the time I was interested in neither fishing or whittling so I never did get one from him. The idea of a fish decoy sounds interesting. Would you make it out of bass wood or a heaver wood? ::shrug::
The fish decoy I've seen we're basswood and they used lead weights in them to keep them from floating. Spearing pike through the ice. I'm not much of a fisherman. I like to hunt my food!:-)
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Although I have not yet made one, I have this fish decoy pattern book done by Anthony Hillman in 1993. It has 17 patterns for carving fish decoys. For those of you who have not seen how fish decoys were used by the Native Americans, this drawing is from inside the pattern book.
IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3051.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Cool book and drawing OC, made me cold seeing him lying on the ice fishing. Making a living has always been a little hard I guess. Thanks for the information and sharing. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Nice book OC! I'll have to see if I can find a copy. You should carve out a couple. I seen a program last winter about a guy here in Michigan that made fish decoys. They get right into the movement of the decoy in the water. Way beyond anything I know.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I finished up some more projects over the weekend that were in the works for a while.
Desk pens turned from some laminated gunstock scrap (with maple bands) that a friend gave me.
IMG_3058.JPG
Pens turned from ironwood (with maple bands), really hard stuff with some great looking grain and color.
IMG_3059.JPG
Wire and canvas bluebill (14 1/2" overall length). I tried something new by using a painted nail head for an eye on this one.
IMG_3061.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OC, those ironwood pens look super. And great idea on the eye. I always enjoy looking at your stuff. Thanks. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Beautiful work on the pens! ::tu:: OC
A couple things I have been working on
IMG_20190926_130057849.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20190924_090108284.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Pumpkin is perfect project for the season. And the fish turned out good too! Thanks for sharing! ::nod:: ::tu::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:Pumpkin is perfect project for the season. And the fish turned out good too! Thanks for sharing! ::nod:: ::tu::
Thanks. There's something kind of satisfying about a simple quick carving.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

First time trying to get scale's on a fish.
Attachments
IMG_20191001_220335445.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doug, that is amazing. Those scales look proportioned and very detailed. Wow, that is good. Did you use your case whittler? ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:Doug, that is amazing. Those scales look proportioned and very detailed. Wow, that is good. Did you use your case whittler? ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Thanks! I used a Old Timer carving jack that had a little U shaped gouge to make the scales by just pressing it down hard to cut the scales in. And that little Bark River fixed blade to Rough it out and the Case Seahorse whittler to finish shaping everything.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A good choice of tools. I have one of those Old Timers you are talking about. I don't find it as useful as I thought I would but it is handy for some things. Doug, I sure enjoy your sharing. ::handshake::

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”