Shaw - Leibowitz collection

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Burch1874

Shaw - Leibowitz collection

Post by Burch1874 »

Hello everyone I am new to this website and this is my first post on a forum. Recently I have inherited a collection of knives and a lot of them are from Shaw-Liebowitz. Some I have been able to find. The Bi-Centennial and Wildlife collections but some of these I have not been able to find. I'm interested in any kind of information on them. I've been a amateur collector most of my life but these are all above my pay grade so to speak. But they sure are nice to look at and just wanted to get to know a little more about them. Thanks for your time.
Attachments
Shaw 1.jpg
Shaw 2.jpg
Shaw 2.jpg (18.54 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
Shaw 3.jpg
Shaw 3.jpg (19.97 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
Shaw 4.jpg
Shaw 4.jpg (19.49 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Shaw - Leibowitz collection

Post by doglegg »

Welcome Burch, I know nothing about your knives except that they are exceptional. Maybe someone will be along to comment on them. Congratulation on such a beautiful set. ::nod:: ::tu::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I'm with Floyd:

1) Welcome!
B) I'm clueless about your knives, but I know what I like and I like what I see
III) Someone will be along soon who's much smarter than I am about such things
Fourth) Congrats on a sweet set!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Wow! That is some beautiful and high dollar iron! I don't know a thing about them beyond that.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Welcome to AAPK!!

Not my area of collecting, but I’ve been a prolific reader of subjects on things that go”cut”, for over thirty years.

I know that your knives were a collaborative work between a man and woman. I forget which was which, but I believe one was an engraver and I really cannot recall what contribution the other offered.

They were pricey when new, but I don’t know anything about current market values.

You might check EBay for previously sold knives. That will give you an idea re’ true values.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

The September 2011 issue of Knife World has an article titled "Adventures in the Knife Trade: Reminisienses of Shaw-Leibowitz" by Sherrill Shaw that describes their work and their partnership. Go to "The Vault" page of https://knifemagazine.com and you can buy a back issue or download it if you are a digital subscriber.

Dennis
Attachments
image.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK.

One of the great (and under-used) resources on this forum is the “search” function. It can be found by clicking on Quick links on the upper left. Scroll down and click on Search. The search page will open. Then type in the word you want to search for and submit it. In this case I searched for Liebowitz. And got back four pages of posts. search.php?keywords=Liebowitz&terms=all ... mit=Search

So there’s lots of information here on the forum about Shaw-Liebowtz and their knives, including pictures. Enjoy! ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

::welcome:: to AAPK. I believe there is a book illustrating their work. I am not sure where to find it but I would start by looking in Knife Magazine as they have a large library of books for sale. If nothing turns up there, I'd try Amazon.
Best of luck and keep us posted.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Benedons

Post by Benedons »

Hi.
I have one of the largest collection of Shaw Leibowitz knives in the country.

What specific information are you looking for?

Are yours for sale?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Benedons wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:03 pm Hi.
I have one of the largest collection of Shaw Leibowitz knives in the country.

What specific information are you looking for?

Are yours for sale?
Welcome to AAPK. The OP is just over a year old and the member who posted it has made only that one post. They have not logged in here since then. So it’s unlikely they will see your post.

You might try sending them an email. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=36588

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

http://thecustomknifeconnection.com/shawleibowitz/

Link to a good read on this subject...
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Benedons

Post by Benedons »

Yes, I have the same set, in color, all matched numbers.

Always looking for more.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is my one and only knife that was done by S-L: A Case boot knife made for a company called the,"American Commemorative Institute Ltd." They had a post office box in the next town over from where I lived. Apparently (according to the ad)they were trying to subscribe a set of four different knives to honor the armed forces but to the best of my knowledge only the Marines model was ever built.I guess they couldn't get enough capital to have them all made.
I bought two of these knives at a local flea market for I believe $15 each(sometime in the 1980's)and gave one to my brother who is a Marine and kept this one.
Someone posted one of these awhile back on another site that he had purchased from Smoky Mountain Knife Works so I am assuming that they bought the remaining knives that weren't sold.His was packaged in a fancy box. That is the only other one of these I have ever seen;anyone else have one or know of one?
Attachments
CaseXXBootDagger1.JPG
CaseXXSS6DotBootKnife#619VietnamCommemorative1.jpg
CaseXXSS6DotBootKnife#619VietnamCommemorative 002.jpg
CaseXXSS6DotBootKnife#619VietnamCommemorative 004.jpg
CaseXXSS6DotBootKnife#619VietnamCommemorative 005.jpg
CaseXXSS6DotBootKnife#619VietnamCommemorativeAdvertisement.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Burch1874

Post by Burch1874 »

Nothing like following up on a Forum Post I did 2 years ago. Sorry everyone. Work took me out of the country for awhile and just got busy with life in general. The Shaw & Leibowitz collection is for sale. At least most of it anyways. If anyone is interested let me know. I've enjoyed them for over 30 years. I have two daughters who could care less about them. Rather them go to someone who will appreciate them.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::welcome:: back, Burch! ::handshake:: Why don'tcha hang around this time! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

knife7knut wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:14 pm Here is my one and only knife that was done by S-L: A Case boot knife made for a company called the,"American Commemorative Institute Ltd." They had a post office box in the next town over from where I lived. Apparently (according to the ad)they were trying to subscribe a set of four different knives to honor the armed forces but to the best of my knowledge only the Marines model was ever built.I guess they couldn't get enough capital to have them all made.
I bought two of these knives at a local flea market for I believe $15 each(sometime in the 1980's)and gave one to my brother who is a Marine and kept this one.
Someone posted one of these awhile back on another site that he had purchased from Smoky Mountain Knife Works so I am assuming that they bought the remaining knives that weren't sold.His was packaged in a fancy box. That is the only other one of these I have ever seen;anyone else have one or know of one?
Well, if you could only own one K7K, you certainly own the right one! If you paid $15. for yours, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it is worth 10 or 20X that now. That's one of the most beautiful knives I've encountered, thanks for showing it. 8) EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed your post is a couple of yrs. old, but regardless of that the knife is still stunning! 8)
8)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Thanks for the kind words. Still have mine;not sure about my brother's; we don't communicate much anymore. I don't get on here much either.
Attachments
IMG_5074.jpg
IMG_5073.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Burch1874

Post by Burch1874 »

I most definitely will stick around this time.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

knife7knut wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:00 am Thanks for the kind words. Still have mine;not sure about my brother's; we don't communicate much anymore. I don't get on here much either.
Thank you for these additional pictures, they show your knife much better than your first set of pics.
I was in the same situation with my brother as you, we lived in the same city not 5 miles apart, yet the times we picked-up the phone to talk could be counted on all 10 fingers. You couldn't meet 2 people more different than us, so there never was much to discuss.
I know I appreciate reading your posts and viewing your knives when you're here, which btw seem to be endless! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Burch1874 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:48 pm I most definitely will stick around this time.
Good plan bud! ::tu:: 8)
8)

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”