Puukko

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
tongueriver

Re: Puukko

Post by tongueriver »

Todor Hristov
Todor Hristov001.jpg
Todor Hristov002.jpg
Todor Hristov003.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Jelio
jp1.jpg
jp2.jpg
jp3.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Kustaa Lammi blade built up by Boris Krylov
kl2.jpg
kl3.jpg
kl4.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

tongueriver, Have you had occasion to use one or another Puuko in the field? If so, I'd like to learn your impression of them, perhaps in comparison with similar American fixed blade knives.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have not used them. I made my own puukko in a forging class in June and used it for field dressing, skinning and partly disjointing 4 medium game animals (deer and pronghorns) this year. But it is not a professionally made knife. I guess it is a 'custom', however!!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin, these all look absolutely first rate. I really like the Todor H. knife, absolutely clean essential knife, clean lines simple design perfectly executed. I bet it is very sharp and would remain so even after many cuts, many years. I hope you get to use it for field dressing.
Here are 2 knives made by "OK", Olavi Kempainen whose father (grandfather ?) designed the original Tommi puukko. Olavi's knives are said to be the best of all puukkos. I think he stopped making knives when in his late 80's about 2000.
Both knives are 8 1/2" OAL. I failed to take a picture of the side marked "OK".
kj
Attachments
IMGP8348.JPG
IMGP8349.JPG
IMGP8350.JPG
IMGP8351.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Wonderful knives, Roland! ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

And here are 2 very inexpensive puukkos. One came from ebay (dark sheath) and the other i bought for $30 from "Scandicraft" an online knife dealer in Finland. Both are 'custom' made, i.e. made by a 'Smith' in his own shop rather than being factory production.
Even these very inexpensive puukkos are amazing at edge holding. I am surprised that the Finnish puukko has not caught on in North America as a fixed blade EDC. If you try one expect it to be your life long companion. You won't want to swap it out for any other small fixed blade.
kj
Attachments
IMGP8352.JPG
IMGP8353.JPG
IMGP8354.JPG
IMGP8355.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a Tommi puukko made by Olavi Kemppainen who along with his brother Alpo is a fifth generation "Tommi" puukko smiths. It was their great, great, great grandfather who designed and forged the first Tommi puukko. Since then each generation of sons have become knife "Smiths" and have worked in the same shop with the same tools. The heat treatment they use is a guarded secret and the resulting blades are thought to be the Best of All Finnish puukkos.
A Tommi design has the thickest part of the blade about 1/4 the way down from the spine and it tapers somewhat to the spine above and both sides taper down to create the edge. There is no edge grind. The handle is longer than the blade and is oval in cross section and there is no guard.
This knife has an OAL of 8 1/4", with a 3 3/4" blade, and a 4 1/2" handle.
kj
Attachments
IMGP8393.JPG
IMGP8394.JPG
IMGP8395.JPG
IMGP8396.JPG

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”