Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by doglegg »

Very impressive knives. Glad you shared them as I had never seen them before. They really look good. ::nod:: ::tu::
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Gone2Three wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:34 pm Howdy everyone, first time here so thanks for having me...
I just started collecting, a few of my friends turned me onto it.
Anyways, I acquired these Buck etched knives and my question if you may is on the blade there's a serial number on two of the four. The other two no number. Did they release a numbered edition and a non numbered version? By the way these were acquired at separate times. Thank you for your help...
Nice! ::tu::
I just recently became aware of these. I have a 705 in the mail right now. Just an ordinary one, not as fancy as yours.
Mike
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Thanks y'all, I really liked the look of them, although I'm not very knowledgeable on their history...but I'm learning a lot from the information out here on this forum. The etching is what drew me to them. Also like the different types of wood used.
wv trapper

Post by wv trapper »

Over the weekend traded up a Buck a 181, 301 and a 307. The 307 is 67-72 a real nice knife. Today I ordered a Buck 418 Vertex a good looking Warncliffe blade. Ordered direct from Buck and they had them on sale for 22.00.
"Mountaineers are Always Free"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

wv trapper wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:48 pm Today I ordered a Buck 418 Vertex a good looking Warncliffe blade. Ordered direct from Buck and they had them on sale for 22.00.
You're a bad influence. Looked it up, liked it, bought it. The $8.50 shipping irritated me but still cost less than others are selling it for. I'm not expecting quick shipping and that will irritate me more but it will be what it will be.
Attachments
Buck 418 Vertex.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Replicant

Post by Replicant »

I received these in a risky grab bag purchase. Even with the blurry photo, I could tell it was a Buck, but I couldn't tell that it was an unused and unsharpened three liner General. I had no idea what the small shiny object next to it was. The Steelmaster is icing on the cake. It's a small consolation for letting go of a handful of Buck's from years ago.
Attachments
IMG_8414.JPG
IMG_3454.JPG
wv trapper

Post by wv trapper »

Jerry I actually ordered two, black and red, Kevin the customer service rep told me that Buck had free shipping on a fifty dollar order. I also ordered a Buck ball cap and that pushed me over the edge. The email received said I should have my order in 8-10 days, we'll see.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

wv trapper wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:08 am The email received said I should have my order in 8-10 days, we'll see.
As did mine. I guess I'll be surprised if they keep to that promise. Case and GEC are shut down but I've not heard of anything from Buck or SMKW.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

BUCK is open with limited staff.. Should not be a problem receiving your order jerry..
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

WV Trapper & Jerry: Those Vertex's are great little knives. I got one back in Sept. 2018 (red) and love it. They were $25.00 back then...well, that's what I paid, anyway. You won't be disappointed.

Replicant: That is a GREAT vintage 120 General you picked up. ( a 72-86 model ) ::tu:: Looks like it's in very nice condition for its age. To get the good stuff, one must take the 'risk' sometimes...and you got a great deal. The "STEELMASTER 137" is another awesome pickup. Those were first made by Buck back in 1975 and up through 1991. I can't find where Buck made them after that year...they're not listed in the catalog. Nevertheless, you have another vintage Buck made product. ::groove::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

This ain't a Buck. Wrong topic. Whoops. But it's my work knife for the garden this year.
prod500316.jpg
wv trapper

Post by wv trapper »

Hey Jerry I received an email from Buck that my order shipped. All things considered that is a pretty good turn around time. KLJ77 thanks for the comments on your Vertex I'm looking forward receiving mine.
Replicant

Post by Replicant »

KLJ77 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:37 pm WV Trapper & Jerry: Those Vertex's are great little knives. I got one back in Sept. 2018 (red) and love it. They were $25.00 back then...well, that's what I paid, anyway. You won't be disappointed.

Replicant: That is a GREAT vintage 120 General you picked up. ( a 72-86 model ) ::tu:: Looks like it's in very nice condition for its age. To get the good stuff, one must take the 'risk' sometimes...and you got a great deal. The "STEELMASTER 137" is another awesome pickup. Those were first made by Buck back in 1975 and up through 1991. I can't find where Buck made them after that year...they're not listed in the catalog. Nevertheless, you have another vintage Buck made product. ::groove::
Thank you sir. I really appreciate the wealth of information. ::tu::
bertl

Post by bertl »

wv trapper wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:48 pm Over the weekend traded up a Buck a 181, 301 and a 307. The 307 is 67-72 a real nice knife. Today I ordered a Buck 418 Vertex a good looking Warncliffe blade. Ordered direct from Buck and they had them on sale for 22.00.
The 307 is a real nice knife, and if it has the model number on the pile side, it is from 1971-1974, which would make your knife a 1st version. The 307 didn't start until 1971.

Bert
wv trapper

Post by wv trapper »

Well I must admit Buck came through, my two Vertex's arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon. The red one will be my EDC, I like the knife, very lite, easy to operate with my RA, sharp as a razor. Very happy!
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

wv trapper wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:25 am Well I must admit Buck came through, my two Vertex's arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon. The red one will be my EDC, I like the knife, very lite, easy to operate with my RA, sharp as a razor. Very happy!
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::groove::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Today I received a 539 Open Season with s30v that I ordered on Sunday from Buck's web specials page and a 302 Chairman I fished out of the bay. A double Buck day ::woot::
2017 539.JPG
Buck302Chairman3.JPG
Mike
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Nice knives, Breeze. Those Open Season knives are really nice and ergonomic. I have the 556. And that 302 is a perfect little carry knife if one doesn't want anything too big that tends to get 'pokey'.
LJ

Breeze

Post by Breeze »

KLJ77 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:05 pm Nice knives, Breeze. Those Open Season knives are really nice and ergonomic. I have the 556. And that 302 is a perfect little carry knife if one doesn't want anything too big that tends to get 'pokey'.
I'm fond of the 302 pattern. I like the reduced weight and bulk over the 301- which I also like ::tu::

I used the 539 for food prep this morning. Its a dandy slicer :D
Mike
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

505 in Ruby Red Jigged Bone from the Custom Shop.
Attachments
IMG_5348.JPG
IMG_5349.JPG
IMG_5350.JPG
IMG_5351.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Saaaweeet! looking 505, Railsplitter. I drooled just a little bit. :lol: The ruby red scales really makes that knife pop. I just may look into something like that. Thanks for showing it off. ::tu::
LJ

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Came today.
Attachments
Buck 2018 - 418 Vertex - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Well, a global pandemic can't keep a Buck collector down! A new ebay find showed up today, 1967-1972 #112 Ranger with original, low hanging leather sheath, (which I think we all agree that the older sheaths are far better than the new ones because they hang lower). Those were my high school years, ('67-'71), and first year of college, (1972), so that was the main reason I bought this, (paid more than I wanted but hey, what can I say, I'm a Buckaholic!). This will go back to Buck for a spa treatment soon. I really think the #112 frame is my favorite for EDC, they all fit my hand perfectly.
Attachments
d.jpg
c.jpg
b.jpg
f.jpg
h.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:52 pm Came today.
It's a fine knife, Jerry...I trust you're happy with it. I love mine.
LJ

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Baykeeper,

If the ebay seller described your knife as being a 1967-1972 era knife, they were wrong. Your knife is a 1972-1986 three line model. A 67-72 model is only two lines and should read; "Buck" and under that; "USA".

I considered not saying anything, but then, I thought maybe you would want to know, in case you want to call the seller out on this...if in fact they sold this under false pretenses. I know I would. Not trying to open up a can of worms...but in my thinking, you have a right to know what you 'don't' have, based on what you believe you do have.

Good luck with whatever direction you go on this.
LJ

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”