Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Old Hunter

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Old Hunter »

There have been so many WalMart and other “limited” runs (Christmas boxes, Hunting season boxes, Fishing knives, etc.) that I have no idea if the Cracked Ice is factory - but in your picture it sure looks very well fitted to the frame. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

The only other thought on Jerry's 382 cracked ice knife is; it could have very well been made as an SFO for SMKW or other retailer. It's a china made knife, so Buck may have had a limited run on them. ::shrug::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Gentlemen, just a quick correction, it's not "my knife". It's one I saw on eBay and was giving some passing consideration to purchasing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Knives-38 ... SwXXxe0QPQ
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:59 pm Gentlemen, just a quick correction, it's not "my knife". It's one I saw on eBay and was giving some passing consideration to purchasing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Knives-38 ... SwXXxe0QPQ
I had done a search on the bay earlier for the knife and came across the one you posted, then realized...it's the same one. Personally, Jerry, it's a nice knife and would be a nice one to add to your collection, if you so desire. I still believe it could be an SFO or limited production. Worth keeping an eye on, anyway. It's one I would pick up, if not on ebay...fwiw.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The seller does have some bearing on the situation.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:38 pm The seller does have some bearing on the situation.
I tend to agree with you about the seller, albeit, I've bought several knives from him and have never been 'done wrong' like some of the neutral feedbacks state. I would say it's a 80/20 chance to the good that you'll be okay if you decide to follow through.

I'm cheering for ya, Jerry. ::ds:: ::groove:: ::tu:: :mrgreen:
LJ

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

KLJ77 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:19 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:38 pm The seller does have some bearing on the situation.
I tend to agree with you about the seller, albeit, I've bought several knives from him and have never been 'done wrong' like some of the neutral feedbacks state. I would say it's a 80/20 chance to the good that you'll be okay if you decide to follow through.

I'm cheering for ya, Jerry. ::ds:: ::groove:: ::tu:: :mrgreen:
I too have bought from him but that does not mitigate my trepidation. Especially concerning a knife like that.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

KLJ77 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:50 pm The only other thought on Jerry's 382 cracked ice knife is; it could have very well been made as an SFO for SMKW or other retailer. It's a china made knife, so Buck may have had a limited run on them. ::shrug::
I'm betting this is the situation. Not sure why anyone would bother rehandling one of these and then sell it. I wouldn't doubt the seller, that's a lot of feedback and time on Ebay. I doubt anyone would risk bad feedback over any single knife, or even several. Could message and ask if he knows anything about it, but I think the idea of emailing Buck is a good one too. For a $10-20 knife, it isn't a huge risk if you like it anyway, even if it's someone's project. It does look good. ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

What's my latest Buck? This'n. If you don't have a 722 Spitfire, you should get one. You don't know what you're missing. First picture is closest to knives red color. Really hard to capture one that doesn't look more orange than red.
Attachments
Buck 722 Spitfire Red - The Real Red Labeled.jpg
Buck 722 Spitfire Red - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:59 pm What's my latest Buck? This'n. If you don't have a 722 Spitfire, you should get one. You don't know what you're missing. First picture is closest to knives red color. Really hard to capture one that doesn't look more orange than red.
I'm saving up for the Copper & Clad S30V version; since I don't have a knife in that steel as of yet, and it is probably the cheapest S30V American-made knife you can get. It looks pretty good.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

That's a sweet addition, Jerry. ::tu:: I've considered getting one, but my biggest drawback is the aesthetics of the spyderco style thumb hole to open it with. I'm probably being way over picky about that, but just haven't brought myself to getting past that aspect of the 722. Nevertheless, if I were to buy one, I would go with the U.S. flag with the Thin Blue Line, or the bright blue body.

Yours looks good...that red really stands out.
LJ

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:00 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:59 pm What's my latest Buck? This'n. If you don't have a 722 Spitfire, you should get one. You don't know what you're missing. First picture is closest to knives red color. Really hard to capture one that doesn't look more orange than red.
I'm saving up for the Copper & Clad S30V version; since I don't have a knife in that steel as of yet, and it is probably the cheapest S30V American-made knife you can get. It looks pretty good.
I don't pay any attention to steels but I did notice when I was taking pictures that this one is S30V. I guess that's why they are so much more expensive than the originals in green, orange and gray.
Buck 722 Spitfire Red - Blade Etch.JPG
KLJ77 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:17 pm That's a sweet addition, Jerry. ::tu:: I've considered getting one, but my biggest drawback is the aesthetics of the spyderco style thumb hole to open it with. I'm probably being way over picky about that, but just haven't brought myself to getting past that aspect of the 722. Nevertheless, if I were to buy one, I would go with the U.S. flag with the Thin Blue Line, or the bright blue body.

Yours looks good...that red really stands out.
LJ, I think you'll find that this thumb hole works just about as well as a Spyderco.

I don't remember seeing one with the flag on the handle or the Thin Blue Line??????????????? Help me out here.
Never mind. I found 'em.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Jerry...Here's the links and photos for each. Ooops! Didn't see your "found them" part. ::facepalm:: But now others can see too. ::tu::

THIN BLUE LINE - POLICEMAN / LAW ENFORCEMENT
https://www.buckknives.com/product/722- ... 22GYSPK-B/

THIN RED LINE - FIREMAN / EMS
https://www.buckknives.com/product/722- ... 22BKSRL-B/
Attachments
THIN BLUE LINE
THIN BLUE LINE
THIN RED LINE
THIN RED LINE
LJ

CHNeal

Post by CHNeal »

Ran across another like new 319. Why? Because I’m an addict that’s why. Opening my collection to the three larger contract stockman is proving to be a fun and expensive twist!
81D8DB55-CA0F-4D67-B02A-2204B37248F2.jpeg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Jerry and Neal great pickups ::tu:: ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Bob.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CHNeal

Post by CHNeal »

Thank you sir.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking Bucks and that red 722 is pretty sweet, Jerry! I love the custom I picked up at Christmas time.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:08 am Great looking Bucks and that red 722 is pretty sweet, Jerry! I love the custom I picked up at Christmas time.
John, anyone who doesn't have a 722 (or the 721 Walmart version) doesn't know what they're missing.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Another nice find, Neal. I wish I could fall and stumble into these finds...guess I'm just in the wrong territory. I live in one of the largest metropolis areas on the east coast, and the pawn shops around here don't even buy knives anymore. The large flea market was torn down about 8 months ago. That's where I used to go to find some awesome knives. Sadly, those venues and places are becoming obsolete. Well, unless you live where Scott lives. :lol:
LJ

CHNeal

Post by CHNeal »

KLJ77 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:34 pm Another nice find, Neal. I wish I could fall and stumble into these finds...guess I'm just in the wrong territory. I live in one of the largest metropolis areas on the east coast, and the pawn shops around here don't even buy knives anymore. The large flea market was torn down about 8 months ago. That's where I used to go to find some awesome knives. Sadly, those venues and places are becoming obsolete. Well, unless you live where Scott lives. :lol:
I’ll share a secret, I contacted several local companies that do tag sales and estate sales. I sent them all pics of the knives and boxes of the knives I collect and agree to pay a small finders fee if they call me when they run across my knives. It hasn’t landed me a bunch but I have gotten several still in the box knives that way.

Clay
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

A couple of new Bucks arrived today, two #112 Slim Selects, with limited tan & drab green handle colors. I already have a #112 Slim Select Pro with brown Linen Micarta handles that I carry every single day, so getting these in special colors for a pittance is a no brainer, plus now I can color coordinate :roll: . The Slim Pro was a bit more expensive than these due to the handle material and blade steel, (the Pro has S30V blade, the new ones are just stock 420HC), but these are no less usable. I love the pocket clip on these, far far more useful and secure than my Case knives with clips, which are hard to clip on and hard to remove, these are neither; easy to clip onto/into a pocket and totally secure once there, plus the thin, indestructible handles make these ride in a back pocket with ease and comfort. Value and utility, doesn't get much better than that. Why? Because quarantine is boring that's why!
Attachments
1.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

CHNeal wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:03 pm
KLJ77 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:34 pm Another nice find, Neal. I wish I could fall and stumble into these finds...guess I'm just in the wrong territory. I live in one of the largest metropolis areas on the east coast, and the pawn shops around here don't even buy knives anymore. The large flea market was torn down about 8 months ago. That's where I used to go to find some awesome knives. Sadly, those venues and places are becoming obsolete. Well, unless you live where Scott lives. :lol:
I’ll share a secret, I contacted several local companies that do tag sales and estate sales. I sent them all pics of the knives and boxes of the knives I collect and agree to pay a small finders fee if they call me when they run across my knives. It hasn’t landed me a bunch but I have gotten several still in the box knives that way.

Clay
That's a really GREAT idea and a nice perk, Clay. Unfortunately, those who conduct estate sales in my area will NOT do things like that. I've asked, and their reply has always been; "we can't do that, we have to be 'fair' to everyone". I understand their mindset...if they do it for one person, they would have to do likewise for many others. And the way estate sales are being conducted around here, one almost has to have a hazmat suit on to 'enter', and then it's like walking into a pseudo style operating room where they're trying to sanitize to 'keep people safe'. What it amounts to is; they fear a liability suit. Okay...I'm gettin off track, so will close this.

Glad you're able to work with some people to help you get your knives. ::tu:: Thanks for the comment/reply. ::handshake::
LJ

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Before I post pics of my new BEAUTIFUL LE knife, I just want everyone to know how AWESOME of a twin brother I have. I couldn't ask for a better friend, brother and the one who 'has my back', no matter what. We have a birthday coming up very soon...and this is what he got me. Why? Because he 'wanted' me to have one of these special LE knives. He's the one on the right. Love you, Bro!

This is a Buck 112 Ranger, clip point, designed by Joe Houser himself. Handles are Ironwood, Black Micarta & Turqoise, with mirror polished blade. #19 of 250 made. I will treasure this one for the rest of my life.
Attachments
sZ7xdXazOhKbwyk2oGmIcB9n0ZFhGvbGf4umH1e332EpX92IB copy.jpg
DSCF2294.jpeg
DSCF2297.jpeg
DSCF2302.jpeg
DSCF2299.jpeg
DSCF2307.jpeg
DSCF2305.jpeg
LJ

Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Very nice knife, LJ and extra special, coming from your brother! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”