Case 6143 "Granddaddy Barlow" Spring Needed

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case 6143 "Granddaddy Barlow" Spring Needed

Post by herbva »

Probably a long-shot, but I need a spring for a 6143 "Granddaddy Barlow". The knife is a 3-dot 1977. Thanks.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Suredan

Re: Case 6143 "Granddaddy Barlow" Spring Needed

Post by Suredan »

I am guessing you want to make the repair yourself. However, if you cannot find a spring, I would suggest checking Case’s repair service. I recently contacted them and sent photo’s of my issue and promptly received a reasonable repair quote. NoT sure if your broken spring would be covered by their warranty or not, but if it was, the repair should be free.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

This one is part of a collection I bought. The knife is in very good shape, except the spring is totally missing. I guess the previous owner was not able to find a replacement spring and removed the broken one. Yes, I am going to do the repair myself. Unfortunately, and very sadly, my best source for vintage Case parts passed away recently. I have used the Case repair service for warranty repairs, with excellent results, but I am certain this wouldn't be a warranty repair.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well.... take a shot at making you a spring. (you can do it!!!!)
I'm sure you can get annealed spring stock from most of the knife supply houses.

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
just bob

Post by just bob »

I may have one - I'll look tomorrow. Do you know how thick your spring is?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

just bob wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:42 pm I may have one - I'll look tomorrow. Do you know how thick your spring is?
Hi Bob. I'm sure that you must know that I was referring to Bill Hammons. I wish now that I had taken him up on his kind offer for me to come visit him and see his incredible parts collection. I'm still kicking myself over that. Lesson learned. The spring needed would be about 12.2mm or 4 13/16" long, and 3mm or just under 1/8" thick. I do have a bunch of spare springs, but none are that long, so I can't modify one of them to fit. Thanks much.

Herb
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:46 pm Well.... take a shot at making you a spring. (you can do it!!!!)
I'm sure you can get annealed spring stock from most of the knife supply houses

::tu::
Ha ha, Sir, you flatter me! I have had some success modifying springs from my used parts collection to fit other knives, but making a spring from scratch is an altogether different proposition. If I had the broken spring to use as a template I might think about giving it a try. But thanks for the vote of confidence Mike! ::groove::

Herb

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”