Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by KLJ77 »

That's a GREAT field knife, Scott. A BuckLite MAX large version, 420HC steel with non-slip Alcryn Rubber handles with full tang. Buck made them from 2009 through 2017.

Let us know how it works out for you.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very knice Scott. Does it have an appetite for spoon making? ::shrug::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

KLJ77 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:33 pm That's a GREAT field knife, Scott. A BuckLite MAX large version, 420HC steel with non-slip Alcryn Rubber handles with full tang. Buck made them from 2009 through 2017.

Let us know how it works out for you.
I peeled the heck outta a cedar branch....loved every stroke!!!
doglegg wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:47 pm Very knice Scott. Does it have an appetite for spoon making? ::shrug::
Don't think so....but who knows....
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

EeDeCe wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:38 pm I mentioned this one elsewhere, but I'll share here anyway. Got this mini Spitfire for my wife, but I like it so much I'm tempted to get one just like it for me, or maybe the larger 722. Even with the engraving it got here in 8 days. Not bad Buck!
Well...mine came in today. LOL
$24 at SMKW was too good to hold out. Decided to stick with the mini. The pictures I've seen of the larger one showed a large curve in the grind at the base of the blade. Might just be whoever ground it, but the straighter the better IMO. These seem to have it a little, but not as much, and mine almost none.
Attachments
IMG_20200623_1141191.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

EeDeCe wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:48 pm The pictures I've seen of the larger one showed a large curve in the grind at the base of the blade. Might just be whoever ground it, but the straighter the better IMO. These seem to have it a little, but not as much, and mine almost none.
Are you talking about this area?
Buck 722YW 2019 Spitfire Yellow - Annotated.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

That's it, it seems more pronounced on the larger version.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

As my Grandma used to say, "Every dog to his own notion".
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
eveled

Post by eveled »

That “curve” in that “area”. Is my biggest pet peeve. I cannot stand it on any knife. Buck does it a lot for some reason. Then it gets worse and worse as it is sharpened.

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=66866

To stay on topic this is my newest Buck knife.
E68FD5C4-2499-4E8D-BCC4-22256431A879.jpeg
CHNeal

Post by CHNeal »

Wow I’m just all over the place lately. Not only have I ordered a 501 and 505 both 70’s with micarta I just pulled the trigger on a early 70’s 305 that I found at a great price. You know just incase I ever decide to collect the entire contract 300 series...
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

As Eveled stated, Buck does a lot of blades with the 'curve', which is actually called a "recurve" blade. It has it's pros & cons, but a lot of people tend to like them. I'm not a fan of the recurve blade, but wouldn't toss it away if I had one.

https://blademag.com/knife-collecting/k ... urve-blade
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

I don't think that's what we're dealing with, or at least not what I was getting at. I've got blades with a curve in the blade, but what I don't like is the point at the base. Basing my decision on the website pictures as to what I wanted to go with, you see a pronounced point. Could be it's there for the grip (is choil the word?), but on the smaller 726 it isn't really big enough for that anyway. They made the finger groove deeper and larger on the actual knife, maybe to change how they grind it to reduce that point? To me, it's just going to get ground away in time sharpening. A slip up with your stropping angle and the point may scrape into the leather. I like what I got.

IMO it's probably just inconsistencies in grinding the knife. These are hand ground I believe, so that's part of the character of the knife, and in my knife's case, a good thing. You can see how pronounced it is on the 722 website pic, much less so on the 726. Then almost non-existent on my actual knife and my wife's is like mine. That's a good thing to me, it's better than even the website picture. ::tu::
Attachments
6-28-2020-12.09.05 PM.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I just took a look at my 726 and it doesn't look like there's any recurve in that blade. I never noticed that before. I'm glad you brought it up.
Attachments
Buck 726ORS Mini Spitfire - Open Mark.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bertl

Post by bertl »

CHNeal wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:52 pm Wow I’m just all over the place lately. Not only have I ordered a 501 and 505 both 70’s with micarta I just pulled the trigger on a early 70’s 305 that I found at a great price. You know just incase I ever decide to collect the entire contract 300 series...
Collecting the entire contract 300 series is a big project, especially if you get all of the variations for each model. Good luck if you decide to go that route.

Bert
CHNeal

Post by CHNeal »

bertl wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:03 pm
CHNeal wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:52 pm Wow I’m just all over the place lately. Not only have I ordered a 501 and 505 both 70’s with micarta I just pulled the trigger on a early 70’s 305 that I found at a great price. You know just incase I ever decide to collect the entire contract 300 series...
Collecting the entire contract 300 series is a big project, especially if you get all of the variations for each model. Good luck if you decide to go that route.

Bert
Thank you. It does seem rather daunting. I’ve often thought of it over the years but never was sure if I was prepared to commit.
CHNeal

Post by CHNeal »

Well I’m hoping I’ve come to my senses. I’ve moved the 505 and 501 micarta out and brought in a Camillus 303 & 307 and also have 2 Schrade 301 inbound. A first gen and a second with the buck secondary blade stamp to go with my non stamp on. These complete all versions of the Schrade contact stockman for me.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Picked up this 620. Why? I don't really know other than it's a Buck and I don't have anything like it! Been playing around with it and have decided it's kind of light for anything heavy duty. It will be a fun knife. I'm gonna carry it for a while and give it a workout.
Attachments
20200704_095351_HDR.jpg
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Why? I was expecting you to say, "because I could". :mrgreen:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Jerry, your's is a more fun answer! I bought it because I could and I did!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Byrd,

That 620 Reaper is an awesome knife. There are some great reviews on YouTube, and then, there are some reviews about it where the reviewer abused the crap out of it, destroyed the blade and then wants to blame Buck for its failure. Take some of them with a grain of salt. The Reaper will be a great camping knife. ::tu:: I've got three of them, and have never had an issue with them.
LJ

CHNeal

Post by CHNeal »

I just pulled this from the magic box down by the street. This one is all I had hoped and more. It’s a second version Schrade 301 with the Buck stamp on the secondaries. It is tarnished and so full of factory oil turned sludge that the walk and talk is almost non existent.
It will spend a couple days in a mineral oil bath before getting flushed and oiled. Then like all my knives it will go into my pocket for at least one day.
I absolutely love these old Schrades. The fit and finish is phenomenal. These were made by true craftsmen that obviously took great pride in their work.
The only thing that stops me from carrying one of them as my everyday knife is the nail tearing pull on the secondary’s, especially the Spey blades. It’s the same with the 303. Mains are a bit tough but the secondary’s combination of strong pull and sharp nail nick just destroy my thumb nail.
6AE8BC43-2CDA-4790-B23F-C057C5FF2CC8.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

This one came in today's mail. I don't know why I buy these (other that I just like 'em) cause they're all the same except for the color. Sigh.
So what does S30V steel get me besides a higher price?
Attachments
Buck Spitfire 722BLSSH S30V Blue - Labeled.JPG
Buck Spitfire 722BLSSH S30V Blue - Steel Etch.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:31 pm So what does S30V steel get me besides a higher price?
More time sharpening? ::shrug::
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Gets you an edge that lasts much longer than the 420HC. But as mentioned by the Tsar, takes more effort to resharpen. Just keep touching it up on ceramic sticks as you use it, then you'll maintain the edge without a lot of additional work. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

New Buck to report, #112 Drop Point w/ Crelicam Ebony handles. Why?? Because I didn't have a drop point Buck in the collection. I also ordered a brown "distressed" Buck sheath for it and surprise surprise, I found that it had been made in the USA, not in Mexico like their current black sheaths, it is nice and soft and has a special embossed button not to be found on their black sheaths. I'll keep the black sheath that came with the knife as a spare. The knife itself doesn't have the normal date code on it, but instead has an anvil in the date code's place. Also got a diamond pocket sharpener, and it works great, I only ordered it to get above the free shipping amount, but now that I have it I love it. This knife will be carried, it's not a special edition or anything so using it will be a no harm no foul situation.

The Crelicam Ebony has quite a story, it is a company in Africa using sustainable methods, and plant a new tree for every one harvested, they even have an nursery to grow the new trees. This Ebony also has beautiful grain to parts of it, which negates it's usage in things like piano keys and other traditional uses that require all black wood, which means a decrease of wasted wood. Both Buck and Taylor Guitars have joined up to use and promote this sustainable hardwood product, google "Crelicam", it's an interesting read. https://crelicam.com/
Attachments
thumbnail 2.jpg
thumbnail 3.jpg
thumbnail 4.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thats a beauty Baykeep ::tu::
The tip on them drop points look stout.them handles ::super_happy::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”