Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Baykeeper

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm My Buck 112 arrived in the mail, oak handles, 5160 drop-point blade. Great fit and finish, perfectly centered blade. All unique features, a real shame Buck ruined the appearance with a grotesquely oversized nail-nick, especially since it doesn’t even need one! I’ll save it for using as a gift sometime. It would be a really cool knife if it hadn’t been uglied up! OH
Ya know, now that you mention that I looked again at my newish 112 Drop Point and you are right OH, that nail nick is huge. Now it will be the only thing I notice when I open it up, but I always knew there was something making it look a bit weird, I just didn't know why; now I do.. That's why I had no guilt deciding to make it a user, I just didn't know that decision was a subconscious one because of that nail nick. I wonder if they will even allow folks to order it without one? Nice handles though, in my case I got the new Crelicam Ebony handles which I love.
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Good thoughts gents. Making it a user is a valid option, but I already have three others and at least 7 or 8 Buck 110 users. Probably put it in the footlocker where the “Not Used Knives” go - there to fish out when I need a gift to give. I’m just going to return to patiently waiting for old Buck’s to show up in antique malls, AAPK stores, and pawnshops - that way I can eyeball the knife or the picture and coon finger the local ones some before I decide. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 pm Good thoughts gents. Making it a user is a valid option, but I already have three others and at least 7 or 8 Buck 110 users. Probably put it in the footlocker where the “Not Used Knives” go - there to fish out when I need a gift to give. I’m just going to return to patiently waiting for old Buck’s to show up in antique malls, AAPK stores, and pawnshops - that way I can eyeball the knife or the picture and coon finger the local ones some before I decide. OH
Good point, I have five other 112's in various versions, and three 110's too. Plus 15 other knives in my EDC rotation; maybe I need to thin that down?.......naww, I need more!
I like AAPK Stores too, good place to look for specific things and hard-to-find models. Surprisingly thrift stores have been good places for me locally, I have found real jewels in our local thrifts.
BCCI Member #2863
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

OH...I went to C&C and looked at the 112 oak 5160 drop point you bought and compared it to the one you've shown that you received. The photos at C&C does NOT show that large of a nail nick like in your knife, and the oak wood is much lighter in the C&C photo. Your knife almost looks as though it's walnut.

Am I looking at this all wrong? Anyone else see what I'm seeing? You should have received exactly what they offered at C&C. That nail nick is terrible looking. Maybe I'm being too picky, but it just doesn't seem like you received what they were selling. imho

PS:

Here's the comparison of the two.
Attachments
C&C STOCK PHOTO
C&C STOCK PHOTO
What OH received
What OH received
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

LJ, Thanks for the comparison photos. In looking at the pictures I think the nicks are about the same size (the one on mine is slightly wider - probably normal variance) but I think it’s the darkening or bluing of the nick on my knife that makes it look so “stark”. As this is 5160 steel it should blue readily - might give that a try and I think the nick will “fade in” so to speak. Other than being ugly it is a fine knife, I could be being too picky here, so I will think it over and decide. Once the blade is blued a natural patina will also develop over time, contributing to a less obvious nick. I just don’t get why they cut in the nick at all (colored or natural) - its not needed. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I see what you're saying, OH. Wasn't trying to over-analyze the two knives, they just appeared 'different'. Glad you're happy with it and I have no doubt it's going to be a GREAT user. ::handshake::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thats a beauty OH ::tu:: but to me a drop point in a 112 or a 110 just ain't right ::mdm:: love the scales ::handshake::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Old Hunter wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm My Buck 112 arrived in the mail, oak handles, 5160 drop-point blade. Great fit and finish, perfectly centered blade. All unique features, a real shame Buck ruined the appearance with a grotesquely oversized nail-nick, especially since it doesn’t even need one! I’ll save it for using as a gift sometime. It would be a really cool knife if it hadn’t been uglied up! OH
This is nail nick on my 110 5160 oak knife. How does it compare to the nail nicks on normal 110s? I noticed it seemed large, but not terribly out of proportion on this size blade. Although I agree with the others, it's really useless on this knife and I don't use it at all.

I went back and forth several times over which I liked better, the drop point or the clip. My wife decided the clip was better and the choice was made! lol. But the drop point looks like it would make a great skinner.

For the record, I am LOVING the 5160 steel. It's been holding a fantastic edge and came very sharp.
IMG_1239.jpeg
B07A4AB8-FAB9-4D5C-995B-EE6125E7D75E.jpeg
I just noticed, it looks bigger in the pics than it does in person I believe.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

There has always been variance in the size of the nail nicks, even with knives made the same year. I think it is simply knife to knife variance within whatever their Manufacturing tolerance is. The one on my seems very out of size, but I have had a 303 once that was also huge - it happens to me on mail order knives because I can’t cull between what’s in the dealers stock. I did clean out the nick on the one I received and it looks better but still oversize. It doesn’t hurt anything from a functional aspect but as a knife lover I like my knives to look good - mine reminds me of Miss America with a spider tattoo on her face! By the way Dogg, I agree with you - another aspect of the drop point blade on a 110 or 112 is the odd shape for the knife from the get go. I have considered sending mine back but I may blue the blade and see if that makes it fade in somewhat. Of course then I can’t send it back if I still don’t like the look, but I can hand it off to a kid at deer camp easily enough. OH
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

The recent nail nick variations could be due to a young apprentice assigned to putting them on the blades. ::shrug:: Pure assumption on my part. IMHO, it seems Buck would be more consistent in a specific size of NN. I know Buck has had a 'short crew' working these past months, so maybe someone with less experience was assigned the job. I've looked at several of my older 110's / 112's, and the NN's are not as large as the ones recently shown. Maybe it's a 'Monday' / 'Friday" kind of thing. Again, pure speculation without evidence. Just thinking outside the box...and sometimes, I should just stay in my box. ::paranoid::
LJ

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

It could very well be the case. My blade isn't perfectly centered, but it's good enough. Over all I'm very pleased with this 110, it's the best one I've ever handled and the 5160 blade is amazing, I've been using it nonstop since getting it.

If anyone is thinking of picking up another 110, or 112 for that matter, I can't recommend one of these enough.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Glad you like your 110, Wade. I agree, the 110/112 are GREAT folders for the price point. I'm still carrying my 112 (older model) I picked up from Ray (Palidin). It's been the perfect EDC for me. Not as long on the hip as the 110/sheath. And to think that; 8 months ago, I never owned a 112, now I have 6 of them. ::nod::

As a side note: I received an email from Buck today saying they were having a "web special" sale on some knives. So I ordered these today. I liked the looks of that SnakeSkin design...never saw it before. (Better get one, Jerry ::tu:: ) Never saw the 317 before either, and liked the Burlwood, albeit, they're imported (China), but for the money, they'll make nice pocket carriers or gifts. The pink Bantam is for my wife...that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:
Attachments
284 Bantam
284 Bantam
0285CMS23-B.jpg
0317BWS-B.jpg
0286CMS10-B.jpg
LJ

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

KLJ77 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:19 pm (Better get one, Jerry ::tu:: )
I already have 3 LJ. I think I'll hold back for a bit. They're all Select Grade (imports) but I'm okay with that.
Attachments
BLW 285 Blaze Orange & Buck 283 Bantam Nano  Knife Combo Set CMB016 -Labeled.JPG
Buck 285 Bantam® BLW USA Flag-Select ~ Labeled.JPG
Buck Bantam BLW 285 Clampak.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I likes your thinking Bruce,thats the beauty of kid at deer camp ::handshake::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Here is something you likely haven't seen in awhile, both versions of the Buck #333 California Toothpicks together in one place, an SFO for SMKW from the late 90's. I already had the Stagalon version, but recently ran across the Buck Bone version so now I have both. This knife completes my Buck 300 Series SFO collection, though I still need one "version", a #334 Millennium Trapper with smooth black scales, but I now have all the models, (as far as I know). I already have a limited edition #334 in Genuine Stag, and and numbered with only 1000 being made, I have #82, (see below in the SFO "family" portrait. So, in addition to having all models of the 1972-1986 300 Series made by Camillus, I also have all the SFO's, (Special Factory Order). Both of the Toothpicks are hard to find, especially the Buck Bone version, so I feel fortunate to have them, took me nearly 10 years to find them all. The family photo contains models # 322 Congress in 2 versions, #329 Freedom Trapper in 2 versions, #331 Granddaddy Barlow in 3 versions, #332 Small Barlow in 2 versions, #333 California Toothpicks in 2 versions, and #334 Millennium Trapper in Genuine Stag, numbered #82 of 1000. I'm still researching the #329 Freedom Trappers because they have model numbers on the tang, whereas all the others do not, (SFO's are not supposed to have model numbers on the tang for unknown reasons). As far as I know these are all the 300 Series SFO's to date. All thanks to 300bucks, who put me on this SFO hunt several years ago, my current impoverished condition is all his fault, he knew a junkie when he saw one and enabled me to be so frivolous, (thanks buddy).
Now that I have that knife all I have to say is, "now what?"
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Baykeeper wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:26 am Here is something you likely haven't seen in awhile, both versions of the Buck #333 California Toothpicks together in one place, an SFO for SMKW from the late 90's. I already had the Stagalon version, but recently ran across the Buck Bone version so now I have both. This knife completes my Buck 300 Series SFO collection, though I still need one "version", a #334 Millennium Trapper with smooth black scales, but I now have all the models, (as far as I know). I already have a limited edition #334 in Genuine Stag, and and numbered with only 1000 being made, I have #82, (see below in the SFO "family" portrait. So, in addition to having all models of the 1972-1986 300 Series made by Camillus, I also have all the SFO's, (Special Factory Order). Both of the Toothpicks are hard to find, especially the Buck Bone version, so I feel fortunate to have them, took me nearly 10 years to find them all. The family photo contains models # 322 Congress in 2 versions, #329 Freedom Trapper in 2 versions, #331 Granddaddy Barlow in 3 versions, #332 Small Barlow in 2 versions, #333 California Toothpicks in 2 versions, and #334 Millennium Trapper in Genuine Stag, numbered #82 of 1000. I'm still researching the #329 Freedom Trappers because they have model numbers on the tang, whereas all the others do not, (SFO's are not supposed to have model numbers on the tang for unknown reasons). As far as I know these are all the 300 Series SFO's to date. All thanks to 300bucks, who put me on this SFO hunt several years ago, my current impoverished condition is all his fault, he knew a junkie when he saw one and enabled me to be so frivolous, (thanks buddy).
Now that I have that knife all I have to say is, "now what?"
That's a wonderful collection! Beautiful knives!
Robert E. Lee
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Baykeeper, that’s no small feat assembling a collection like yours - congratulations on a terrific collection of Buck Knives! OH
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Very nice and rare collection, Baykeeper. ::tu::
LJ

Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Thanks guys I really appreciate it, took me awhile but there they are. I didn't think I would ever find them all, but that day has finally arrived, and I am thankful. I also have all the "regular" pre-1986 Buck 300 Series models, they are represented by knives in the briefcase display below, (plus a few other other Bucks and those other US-made knives at the bottom), including a 1966 first version #301 Stockman with lined bolsters made by Schrade just above the yellow #301 on the left side. I also have various Bucks in sheaths that I carry often, (duplicates of ones in the briefcase), but I have limited room so I just keep them sheathed. The hardest thing for me to do most mornings is to decide which knives to carry that day, and if my sheaths color coordinate, lol. Someday I'd like to put together a permanent display box for them all, including SFO's, and take them to display at the BCCI booth at Blade Show, but for now I'll use what I have. I guess I have vision problems though, because no matter how many Bucks I have, it never looks like enough to me, so, the search continues.
Attachments
300 Series.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

New Buck Spitfire my oldest boy gave me for my birthday!
016D3A94-0D96-49E6-A427-FCD82F1FB3D1.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:39 pm New Buck Spitfire my oldest boy gave me for my birthday!

Critique please. I really like the 722's.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:32 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:39 pm New Buck Spitfire my oldest boy gave me for my birthday!

Critique please. I really like the 722's.
Well, I just got it, so I haven’t done anything except touch up the edge. I had a 721 that was gifted to me several years ago and it came out of my pocket while I was mowing at the old house and I never did find that thing.

The handle is a bit different on this 722 and it seems to have more recurve on the blade. I think I like the handle on the 721 a bit better honestly.

It’s a beefy little knife and I think it’s destined for some hard work/abuse! I can see myself doing things with this one I wouldn’t do with my Spyderco military since this Buck has a beefier blade and that wonderful Buck warranty!

In short, so far so good.

*Edit* I just went outside and did some light whittling. This handle feels much better in use than it does just coon fingering it. I like it.
Robert E. Lee
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

::tu:: 8) ::tu:: Kudos to your son too!! ::nod::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

I went and did it again. 1989 Buck #305s Clipper with Smooth Violet handles. I already have one in Smooth Blue, but I'm after all the different colors that I don't already have, (red, yellow, pink, black, orange and ?). I got a decent deal on this one, and most of the other colors are available on ebay BIN for $100, but I can wait, I don't think they will sell quickly at those prices, so I'll just wait. Apparently versions exist with Victorinox scissors, but I haven't seen one of those yet.
You may have seen this one on the bay, that para cord lanyard really stuck out in the photos, hard to forget, but the lanyard is soon going away. Only one other person was bidding, so I got this for less than half the asking price pf the BIN knives.
Attachments
violet1.jpg
violet 305s2.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

There are quite a few with the scissors on the bay. Here's the few I found. I think they're a bit overpriced, but that's me.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... s&_sacat=0
LJ

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”