Should we say a knife is never sharpened or never resharpened.

This forum is for member store related discussion. You can ask questions, report bugs, make suggestions, view tips, tricks & instructions & more.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Should we say a knife is never sharpened or never resharpened.

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I keep kicking it around about what to say about a knife that hasn’t been used or resharpened. I think that saying it hasn’t been resharpened is more accurate than saying that it has never been sharpened. That implies that the blade could be an unsharpened blade. I have run across knives that have never been sharpened, literally the blade is dull. Some knives that are more for decoration or designed to be in a display case come unsharpened.
I think we all know what we mean when we list a knife as “never used or sharpened”. But it’s a bit misleading. If we say a knife “has never been used and has not been resharpened” tells the buyer that it hasn’t been rubbed on a sharpening stone, but it is still sharp from the factory.
What do you all think?
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Should we say a knife is never sharpened or never resharpened.

Post by edge213 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:27 am I keep kicking it around about what to say about a knife that hasn’t been used or resharpened. I think that saying it hasn’t been resharpened is more accurate than saying that it has never been sharpened. That implies that the blade could be an unsharpened blade. I have run across knives that have never been sharpened, literally the blade is dull. Some knives that are more for decoration or designed to be in a display case come unsharpened.
I think we all know what we mean when we list a knife as “never used or sharpened”. But it’s a bit misleading. If we say a knife “has never been used and has not been resharpened” tells the buyer that it hasn’t been rubbed on a sharpening stone, but it is still sharp from the factory.
What do you all think?
I agree. Never sharpened means it came from the factory dull.
Never resharpened means it hasn't been sharpened since leaving the factory as a sharp knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

I put it like this , factory edge , never sharpened .
Can’t get any clearer than that IMO .
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

ScoutKnives wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:35 am I put it like this , factory edge , never sharpened .
::tu:: ::tu:: I say “still has original factory edge”, or simply “original factory edge”.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:47 am
ScoutKnives wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:35 am I put it like this , factory edge , never sharpened .
::tu:: ::tu:: I say “still has original factory edge”, or simply “original factory edge”.

Ken
I agree with Ken, I always use - "Original Factory Edge" unless there is some evidence of additional or subsequent sharpening. So far I haven't encountered any misunderstanding with that, but I guess there's always a first time....... ::teary_eyes::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

This is another advantage of only buying old, cheap knives. This conundrum is one I have never faced... :lol:
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Technically you would say never resharpened. However,I have
never seen that expression on listings. I will look for it
now that my curiosity is peaked.

Bob
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Although "never resharpened" is more accurate, the convention is to say "never sharpened". It is taken for granted that the knife was sharpened in the factory and "never sharpened" is used to mean since leaving the factory.
"Factory edge" is fine as long as the blade has never been used.
One could say "factory edge and lightly used".
But "never resharpened" best states what one is wanting to impart so we should use it and leave "never sharpened" for the occasional blade that leaves the factory without an edge grind.
If you want to make sure there is no chance of misunderstanding: "never resharpened after leaving the factory".
I use a 9x loupe to look at the edge to see the vertical striations left by the grinding belt.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks all for the input. I try to list mine as never used or resharpened. But I am sure I have some older listings that use the other phrase “never sharpened”. I do try to remember to add “retain’s it’s factory edge” also but when in a hurry it’s easy to overlook that as well. I really have to check myself on forgetting the closed OAL. That’s one I often forget. Fortunately I always include mark and pile side shots next to a ruler.
Any other suggestions are welcome as well, always trying to improve.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Like most of us who sell knives here, I ship all of my knives in a box.

I try to remember to state "ships in a sturdy cardboard box" in my listings but I sometimes forget to include that. I think it's nice for potential buyers to know how the knife will be packaged instead of leaving them guessing. Occasionally, but not always, I'll send the buyer a picture of the box so they can judge if it will fit in their mailbox or if the carrier will have to set it on the porch. I generally use the same type of box so I use the same picture to send to each buyer.

I don't use envelopes of any kind to ship knives but if I did, I would state that in my listing as well.
Attachments
Shipping Box.JPG
Shipping Box.JPG (13.6 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Rick where do you get your boxes that size ? We've tried finding some for my wife's store but so far have not been successful.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Rick, thank you. I forget to mention that as well. We don’t ship in envelopes either, just in boxes. That is something that should be mentioned. I appreciate that.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

philco wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:43 am Rick where do you get your boxes that size ? We've tried finding some for my wife's store but so far have not been successful.
Phil, I get them from a company called "Wunderlich Fibre Box Co". They arrive flat and they fold up in an overlapping manner making them very sturdy.
Rick T.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:45 am Rick, thank you. I forget to mention that as well. We don’t ship in envelopes either, just in boxes. That is something that should be mentioned. I appreciate that.
You're welcome Mark. ::tu::
Rick T.

Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

I have received many knives, mostly Case from the Jim Parker era that didn't even have a "factory edge."
So I guess these would be called "never sharpened." ::shrug::
Tim
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

If this was a vote I believe I would go with "factory edge"
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/

Return to “AAPK Member Store Forums”