15” EdgeCo Manual Lockback Stiletto

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Mario

15” EdgeCo Manual Lockback Stiletto

Post by Mario »

Picked this one up for $110 at an antique shop. It has some really nice stag handles.
Attachments
382BC179-3225-4826-889B-164270E16353.jpeg
06F67632-D129-48D9-BCB2-CBBEC6ACDAA6.jpeg
CEA6391B-D314-4465-8A04-6D18E4A8782F.jpeg
BC9252B8-D8FC-4B38-B0FA-F2CD91E2F942.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 15” EdgeCo Manual Lockback Stiletto

Post by Madmarco »

Mario wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:56 am Picked this one up for $110 at an antique shop. It has some really nice stag handles.
Very nice Mario! ::tu:: I have a 9" Edgeco auto "kit" knife from the 80's that I got from a friend who was selling his collection, and it's a solid well built knife. He hand-forges swords and knives and sells them on etsy, but he also has other knives and things he sells, one of them being a 15" Kissing Crane stiletto with gnarly stag covers, and it's both beautiful and expensive, and, very similar to yours. If you want to see his stuff it's www.etsy.com , and search Saxonforge, and that will take you to his store. I included a pic of my Edgeco for your perusal! HNY! 8)
WIN_20210101_14_19_16_Pro.jpg
8)
Mario

Post by Mario »

Nice Madmarco! I myself am on the hunt for one of those EdgeCo stiletto kit knives with the stepped pin. I’d like to get my hands on some of the old EdgeCo mail order catalogs as well. I know a couple people who have them. They have a real nostalgic factor for people who grew up in the ‘80s and ordered stiletto kits, NATO OTF kits, and “Rambo” survival knives. EdgeCo imported a lot of stuff from Italy, Germany, Taiwan, and Korea.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mario wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:58 pm Nice Madmarco! I myself am on the hunt for one of those EdgeCo stiletto kit knives with the stepped pin. I’d like to get my hands on some of the old EdgeCo mail order catalogs as well. I know a couple people who have them. They have a real nostalgic factor for people who grew up in the ‘80s and ordered stiletto kits, NATO OTF kits, and “Rambo” survival knives. EdgeCo imported a lot of stuff from Italy, Germany, Taiwan, and Korea.
The "kit" knives are particularly cool because they come with the adjustable screw pivot, and, the removeable sex pin to replace the spring should it break. I had never heard of them until the one I own, and it's a shame because autos are strictly prohibited here in Canada where I live, and had I been aware they were available back in the 80's, I'd have definitely purchased many more. I acquired some of my autos from a seller in Colorado, because his builders made a point of building them with screw + barrel pivots so that they could be shipped to restricted countries in 2 packages, 1 with the blade, and 1 with the body, thus turning the knife into "parts", and 100% legal to import. Once both packages arrive, one simply installs the blade or spring. I had about 50 more models on my "Wishlist" at his site, but, unfortunately he has closed his doors, likely due to the government clamping down on what they believe to be his illegal activities. That's all I can make of the situation anyway, cuz when I go to the sites now, the "Knife Rights" pages have replaced his usual store pages, and his "Contact Me" options are also gone. This situation has really put a damper on my auto collecting, since now I'm relegated to ordering the cheap cloned models, and praying they slip by Customs. Any sellers who sell the quality models usually aren't willing to ship outside the US, and they certainly aren't willing to send them in 2 packages. The seller in Colorado has closed his doors before, but has always re-opened under different names and circumstances, so I'm hoping he'll do that again! Anything has to be better than 2020!!! 8)
8)
Mario

Post by Mario »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:00 pm The "kit" knives are particularly cool because they come with the adjustable screw pivot, and, the removeable sex pin to replace the spring should it break. I had never heard of them until the one I own, and it's a shame because autos are strictly prohibited here in Canada where I live, and had I been aware they were available back in the 80's, I'd have definitely purchased many more. I acquired some of my autos from a seller in Colorado, because his builders made a point of building them with screw + barrel pivots so that they could be shipped to restricted countries in 2 packages, 1 with the blade, and 1 with the body, thus turning the knife into "parts", and 100% legal to import. Once both packages arrive, one simply installs the blade or spring. I had about 50 more models on my "Wishlist" at his site, but, unfortunately he has closed his doors, likely due to the government clamping down on what they believe to be his illegal activities. That's all I can make of the situation anyway, cuz when I go to the sites now, the "Knife Rights" pages have replaced his usual store pages, and his "Contact Me" options are also gone. This situation has really put a damper on my auto collecting, since now I'm relegated to ordering the cheap cloned models, and praying they slip by Customs. Any sellers who sell the quality models usually aren't willing to ship outside the US, and they certainly aren't willing to send them in 2 packages. The seller in Colorado has closed his doors before, but has always re-opened under different names and circumstances, so I'm hoping he'll do that again! Anything has to be better than 2020!!! 8)
I assume Autoknife.com was where you purchased your kit knives? Yeah, I’m quite familiar with the guy. He’s kind of infamous on the knife forums. I’ve heard horror stories about him from Bill DeShivs and others. It’s good you’ve had positive experiences with him. He had a few websites which are all down, including roadsideimports.com, balisongbutterflyknives.com and butterflyknifekits.com. His old YouTube videos are still up. Some of them are kind of funny.

I understand you’ve had some groups in Canada who are fighting to get the knife laws changed since the customs have taken to cracking down on so many imports of knives that can be opened with one hand. You guys need to make the case that the auto/gravity/balisong ban is an ableist and discriminatory law and that such knives are not weapons but tools with legit utility uses and advantages for people who are handicapped with one hand or use of only one hand.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mario wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:27 am
Madmarco wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:00 pm The "kit" knives are particularly cool because they come with the adjustable screw pivot, and, the removeable sex pin to replace the spring should it break. I had never heard of them until the one I own, and it's a shame because autos are strictly prohibited here in Canada where I live, and had I been aware they were available back in the 80's, I'd have definitely purchased many more. I acquired some of my autos from a seller in Colorado, because his builders made a point of building them with screw + barrel pivots so that they could be shipped to restricted countries in 2 packages, 1 with the blade, and 1 with the body, thus turning the knife into "parts", and 100% legal to import. Once both packages arrive, one simply installs the blade or spring. I had about 50 more models on my "Wishlist" at his site, but, unfortunately he has closed his doors, likely due to the government clamping down on what they believe to be his illegal activities. That's all I can make of the situation anyway, cuz when I go to the sites now, the "Knife Rights" pages have replaced his usual store pages, and his "Contact Me" options are also gone. This situation has really put a damper on my auto collecting, since now I'm relegated to ordering the cheap cloned models, and praying they slip by Customs. Any sellers who sell the quality models usually aren't willing to ship outside the US, and they certainly aren't willing to send them in 2 packages. The seller in Colorado has closed his doors before, but has always re-opened under different names and circumstances, so I'm hoping he'll do that again! Anything has to be better than 2020!!! 8)
I assume Autoknife.com was where you purchased your kit knives? Yeah, I’m quite familiar with the guy. He’s kind of infamous on the knife forums. I’ve heard horror stories about him from Bill DeShivs and others. It’s good you’ve had positive experiences with him. He had a few websites which are all down, including roadsideimports.com, balisongbutterflyknives.com and butterflyknifekits.com. His old YouTube videos are still up. Some of them are kind of funny.

I understand you’ve had some groups in Canada who are fighting to get the knife laws changed since the customs have taken to cracking down on so many imports of knives that can be opened with one hand. You guys need to make the case that the auto/gravity/balisong ban is an ableist and discriminatory law and that such knives are not weapons but tools with legit utility uses and advantages for people who are handicapped with one hand or use of only one hand.
Yep, that's the guy Mario, Jon Benson. I do feel fortunate that my dealings with JB were all positive, except for the very last one which occurred just before he shut down. I bought an 11" John Nowill and Sons conversion from him, and for the blade package he either addressed it incorrectly, or it was lost or stolen from USPS mail, because it was mailed on August 29th, and I still haven't received it as of today. I'm leaning toward an incorrect address because, out of 18 packages I received from Roadside, only that one went east from Denver, and the other 17 all went west, so a wrong address seems logical. It's really a drag cuz the package also had the screw + barrel pivot for the knife, and all the online searching I've done for a replacement has failed to produce positive results. So, until I can have a new 5mm blade with recesses for roller-bearings built, and find a 2.85mm pivot, I'm sitting on a $600. paperweight! I have a couple of possibilities for a blade, but it means sending the body back and forth across the border again, and even just doing that in the first place is risky for loss or theft. I also found pivots at various knife parts suppliers, but none in the size I need, so it would mean grinding a 3mm down to size. This would all be a minor issue if I could still reach JB, since he use to sell both the parts needed, but since closing, none of his "Contact Me" links work. Also, if I were a knifemaker I could do the necessary repairs, but, I'm not. And yes, JB rubs a lot of folks the wrong way, and he still has his personal vendetta against Benchmade going strong. He's not a big fan of PayPal either. I just followed the directions and read the supplied information on his sites, and we got along famously.
As for knife rights groups up here, I haven't heard of any, but if there are such groups, they need to argue the fact that the object is not the problem, the person is the problem, because to argue only for the 1-arm person issue, won't include guys like me who have both arms and just like to collect certain knives. The entire situation is so murky over-all, cuz the problem is Customs in British Columbia(West), who seem to make up the rules as they go along. I've had knives seized in B.C., and then ordered the same knife from a different place, and had it pass through Customs in Ontario or Quebec(East), then released and sent to me. Customs in B.C. is dealing with all the drugs coming in from China, so they inspect far more packages than in the east, so if I have a knife go through B.C., I can pretty much expect to have it seized. B.C. Customs has taken it upon themselves to open a manual folder between 25-40% with 2 hands, and then "flick" it open the rest of the way, and then seize it as a "gravity" knife. This is unlawful for them to do, but who has the money to take the government to court. So, in essence, only true slip-joints will pass through B.C. Customs unmolested. Anyhow, I'll do a search for knife rights groups up here, and should I find any I'll join. If you go to the "Switchblade Collectors" forum, and then to the thread "Some of my autos", you can see what I currently have! 8)
8)
Mario

Post by Mario »

So B.C. is the part of Canada where most of the knife seizures have been happening? A lot of people I’ve seen commenting on the matter over the last couple years have made it sound like you can’t get the knives in anywhere. Regardless, it’s still a messed up situation that I think Canadian “knife rights” advocacy groups should use in making a case as to why the whole auto knife ban needs to be repealed.

I’ve seen pics of your autos in that forum. You got some nice ones!

It seems a lot of Canadians are engaging in civil disobedience with regards to the laws. 😊 That usually helps with getting unjust laws abolished. Civil disobedience, jury nullification (don’t know if that’s an option you have in Canada; it’s something we can do here in the US), advocacy, keeping the heat on legislators, etc. I hope Canadians are successful in getting their knife rights back in this lifetime.

Peace out bro! 😎✌️
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mario wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:04 am So B.C. is the part of Canada where most of the knife seizures have been happening? A lot of people I’ve seen commenting on the matter over the last couple years have made it sound like you can’t get the knives in anywhere. Regardless, it’s still a messed up situation that I think Canadian “knife rights” advocacy groups should use in making a case as to why the whole auto knife ban needs to be repealed.

I’ve seen pics of your autos in that forum. You got some nice ones!

It seems a lot of Canadians are engaging in civil disobedience with regards to the laws. 😊 That usually helps with getting unjust laws abolished. Civil disobedience, jury nullification (don’t know if that’s an option you have in Canada; it’s something we can do here in the US), advocacy, keeping the heat on legislators, etc. I hope Canadians are successful in getting their knife rights back in this lifetime.

Peace out bro! 😎✌️
Yah, that's the deal Mario, the BIGGEST problem is Customs in Vancouver, B.C.! I'm sure Customs in Ontario and Quebec make their fair share of seizures, but it's B.C. that just about any knife won't get through. I was incorrect when I said that B.C. Customs was acting unlawfully by opening a folder with 2 hands up to 1/2 way and then "flicking" it open. As I was searching for a Knife Rights group up here, I came across info that said that the partial opening and then "flicking" process had been written into law, so Customs is acting legally by doing this, and it spells absolute doom for any knife passing through B.C.! ::facepalm::
As expected, I didn't find even 1 group who is supporting our knife rights. There was 1 lawyer who was willing to fight for our rights, but it takes money, and from what I read it sounds as if not a lot of support was offered. The CDN population is about 10% of the US pop, so I guess we can expect about a 10% effort to have our laws changed. As for CDN civil disobedience, I'm sure that would only amount to continued import attempts, because the majority of the pop are sheep, and are far too frightened to stand up to the all-mighty government! The whole thing up here with 1-hand opening knives is, if a suspected criminal was being arrested, he could open a 1-hand knife while his/her other hand was being handcuffed, thus putting the LEO's life in danger. What a crock! For the minuscule number of times that such a situation MIGHT arise, they penalize all us collectors and knife enthusiasts. The exact same attack could be accomplished with a kitchen knife, a fixed blade knife, a hammer, etc.! The government won't even consider something like a collectors exemption or license, which btw they could collect revenue from. I have gone as far as to email and phone my MLA(Member of Parliament), but my attempts have fallen on deaf ears. I'm afraid that your hope that Canadians knife rights will be repealed in our lifetime, just isn't gonna happen, but thanks for the well-wishes just the same! Please post some pics of your collection! 8)
8)
Mario

Post by Mario »

Hey, it always seems impossible until it’s done. When the Knife Rights group here in the US first started out, a lot of people were skeptical about their chances for success. The switchblade laws were once thought of as “untouchable,” but KR had their first big success at the federal level when they got assisted open knives exempted from the Federal Switchblade Act (which regulates import and interstate commerce of auto knives) in 2009 and then came their first success at the state level in 2010 when they got the state of New Hampshire to repeal ALL of their knife laws! Over the past decade, they’ve had success in state after state, including Alaska, Colorado, Tennessee, Texas, Montana, Louisiana, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, etc. They even got the gravity knife law repealed in New York!

Granted, I know you guys have a different system of government in Canada and therefore trying to have the same successes we’ve had here in the states is a much heavier lift, but at least a few people are trying.

If a trend continues for long enough, eventually other countries start to notice and consider following suit.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for the encouraging words Mario! ::tu:: Guess it doesn't hurt to hope! ::pray:: 8)
8)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is an EdgeCo. auto that was made in Mexico and branded with their stamp.The blade is held closed by a hook on the end of the handle that is spring loaded(closed)and when the attached lanyard is pulled allows the blade to fly open.
Attachments
EdgeCo.CumosaInoxMexico$12.60 001.jpg
EdgeCo.CumosaInoxMexico$12.60 002.jpg
EdgeCo.CumosaInoxMexico$12.60 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Super cool auto K7K! ::tu:: Very unique! 8)
8)
Mario

Post by Mario »

knife7knut wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:21 pm Here is an EdgeCo. auto that was made in Mexico and branded with their stamp.The blade is held closed by a hook on the end of the handle that is spring loaded(closed)and when the attached lanyard is pulled allows the blade to fly open.
I’ve seen that one before. Very unique indeed!
Mario

Post by Mario »

There are some scans of old EdgeCo ads on this page. Lots of cool stuff here! https://public.fotki.com/switch67/edge_company_knives/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That is too cool for words Mario, THANK YOU!!! ::tu:: I saw my exact knife in there, as well as your 15"'er, and K7K's model! I was very tempted to try the phone number, until I saw the dates! ::facepalm:: I sure wish I'd known about these in the 80's, I saw 6 more I'd have ordered! 8)
8)
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

My 4 EDGECO CUMOSA automatic pocket knives.
I have 5 total, but 1 isn't an EDGECO.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very nice Skip! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mario wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:43 pm There are some scans of old EdgeCo ads on this page. Lots of cool stuff here! https://public.fotki.com/switch67/edge_company_knives/
Just wanted to show you this one that I saw in the ads link you provided Mario! Mine is identical to the knife in the link, although, it's totally unmarked, and I only bought it about a year ago from Bulgaria. Interesting that this style should pop-up again 40 years later! 8)
WIN_20210104_12_54_02_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210104_12_54_15_Pro.jpg
8)
Mario

Post by Mario »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:54 pm
Mario wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:43 pm There are some scans of old EdgeCo ads on this page. Lots of cool stuff here! https://public.fotki.com/switch67/edge_company_knives/
Just wanted to show you this one that I saw in the ads link you provided Mario! Mine is identical to the knife in the link, although, it's totally unmarked, and I only bought it about a year ago from Bulgaria. Interesting that this style should pop-up again 40 years later! 8)WIN_20210104_12_54_02_Pro.jpgWIN_20210104_12_54_15_Pro.jpg
Nice one! I’ve seen that before.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are some pictures of a 1987 EdgeCo. catalog.Don't know why they came out so dark;I'll have to dig it out and re-shoot it.
Attachments
EdgeCompany1987Catalog1 001.jpg
EdgeCompany1987Catalog1 002.jpg
EdgeCompany1987Catalog1 003.jpg
EdgeCompany1987Catalog1 004.jpg
EdgeCompany1987Catalog1 005.jpg
EdgeCompany1987Catalog1 006.jpg
EdgeCompany1987Catalog1 007.jpg
EdgeCompany1987Catalog1 008.jpg
EdgeCompany1987Catalog1 009.jpg
EdgeCompany1987Catalog1 010.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

And one of their knives.
Attachments
EdgeCo.MarkSide.JPG
EdgeCo.PileSide.JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

knife7knut wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:28 am Here are some pictures of a 1987 EdgeCo. catalog.Don't know why they came out so dark;I'll have to dig it out and re-shoot it.
That is sooooo cool K7K! ::tu:: I had no idea they made those stag handled tantos, or, balisongs! ::shrug:: Thanks! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

knife7knut wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:30 am And one of their knives.
Very nice! ::tu:: And old ta boot! 8)
8)
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:46 pm Very.....
Thank you Madmarco.🍻
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Mario

Post by Mario »

Just a clarification on your earlier post, Madmarco: “I'm afraid that your hope that Canadians knife rights will be repealed in our lifetime, just isn't gonna happen, but thanks for the well-wishes just the same!“

I assume you meant Canadian knife laws? Hell, you’ve had enough of your rights repealed already! LOL! Maybe once Trudeau is out of office, you’ll have a better chance. Knock on wood.

Here’s a cool knife from EdgeCo which I found on YouTube. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9IDUjTKykq8

You pull that back piece and it flings the blade open and push it in and it flings the blade shut. I think it’s actually not an automatic because it doesn’t open/close with a spring, but it instead uses a different kind of mechanical device that you manually pull and push on so I think it’s considered a manual knife. Just make sure your fingers are out of the way when closing! That dude in the video was making me nervous! LOL!

Return to “European-made knives”