Nice old Pradel from France.

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Nephilim

Nice old Pradel from France.

Post by Nephilim »

Been expanding by French pocketknife collection lately, and I managed to snag a real gem. Pradel was a popular knife maker operating from the mid 19th to the mid 20th cen. in France, but the most detailed information I could find on the brand is from an old post on this forum(viewtopic.php?t=21642&start=240). This is one in the classic style, a single bladed jackknife with a bolster and flat scales.
This one doesn't have the classic anchor logo, but I assume it is the same "Pradel" company. The tang stamp is marked "B.B.B".
This one doesn't have the classic anchor logo, but I assume it is the same "Pradel" company. The tang stamp is marked "B.B.B".
I really love the simple engraving (stamping?) on the brass bolster.
I really love the simple engraving (stamping?) on the brass bolster.
This example is in really good condition; no rust, a bit of patina, strong spring and a good halfstop. Thankfully, the black plastic scales haven't shrunk or cracked at all. The seller speculated they might be some form of Bakelite, but I don't know enough about old plastics to judge. Fit and finish is great for a knife this age, originally intended as an affordable tool. The edge is nice and thin and it wouldn't take much effort to sharpen it up into a good slicer. Also, its easy enough to open with a good pinch, so you don't have to fight the spring with just your thumbnail. Anybody have a good idea when this might date to? All I know that might narrow it down is that the company went out of business in the 60s. Hopefully the B.B.B tang stamp is a good clue.
tallguy606

Re: Nice old Pradel from France.

Post by tallguy606 »

The shape and size reminds me of a Mercator, the German K55 knife with a cat logo, made from folded sheet metal. Much nicer, though.
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

I have a similar one.
Attachments
IMG_20210127_193707.jpg
IMG_20210127_193736.jpg
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

Eustace wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:57 pm I have a similar one.
Indeed, nice example. Are those scales horn or acrylic?
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Nephilim wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:26 am
Eustace wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:57 pm I have a similar one.
Indeed, nice example. Are those scales horn or acrylic?
Bull horn.

Return to “European-made knives”