French Cigar Knife G Keller

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
jaydar

French Cigar Knife G Keller

Post by jaydar »

Got this from an auction before Christmas

Still waiting to get my hands on it they posted it to the UK and I am stuck in Switzerland (my home for christmas plan did not go smoothly)

Looks to be French with Tortoiseshell and 18kt gold bling

The File is marked G.Keller which matches with the stamp of Gustave Keller A Parisian Silversmith (I have added a bit of info on the firm at the bottom)

this is off one of his picture frames
CadreKeller_7.jpg
So these are the auction pics .... My dad tells me it is beautiful ..... which is nice :)
Cigar_knife_1.jpg
CIGAR_KNIFE_2.jpg
CIGAR_KNIFE_3.jpg
CIGAR_KNIFE_5.jpg
CIGAR_KNIFE_6.jpg
CIGAR_KNIFE_7.jpg
Pretty sure it is Tortoise shell as there are a couple of nibbles out of the scales
CIGAR_KNIFE_8.jpg
CIGAR_KNIFE_9.jpg
CIGAR_KNIFE_10.jpg
Gustave Keller

The Keller firm was founded in 1856 by Gustave Keller, whose simple yet elegant sets and accessories were immediately appreciated for their quality. He was awarded a gold and a silver medal at the 1867 and 1878 Paris World Exhibitions. After 1878, the Keller brothers succeeded him and started producing silverware, which was rewarded at the 1889 and 1900 world fairs respectively, with a gold medal and a Grand Prix. In 1889, Lucien Falize wrote that "everything stamped Keller is good" (the firm was later known as "Keller fils et gendre successeurs"). Established in Paris at 65 rue de Turbigo, Keller moved their shop and workshop to 22 rue Joubert in 1891. In 1929, the shop was mentioned as trading from 18 Avenue Matignon and was still active possibly as late as 1947. Keller attracted brilliant and international customers and was appointed official supplier of several courts (Spain, Russia, Greece and Romania). The Russian Court was an important client and from 1897, the last Tsar regularly purchased artifacts from the Parisian silversmith. From the 1900s the firm was also commissioned to produce several important cups and trophies for the Principality of Monaco.
Gunsil

Re: French Cigar Knife G Keller

Post by Gunsil »

Exceptional knife!! I love the unique cigar cutter!!
TPK

Post by TPK »

Nice! And interesting! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

That is one beautiful little knife and as Gene said a very unique cigar trimmer.As to the handles they could be either tortoise shell or clear horn that has been colored and torched a bit.Really hard to tell from the pictures and both materials are very similar in composition so it is hard to discern even when examining them up close.
Given the obvious quality of the rest of the knife I would probably go with the tortoise shell. Please post some pictures when you finally receive it.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Beautiful knife. I absolutely love it 👍! ..now I have to find one ::facepalm::
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »