Best leather dye?

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
Dan In MI

Best leather dye?

Post by Dan In MI »

Google would get me probably half a billion hits on this topic, but I value the opinions of this community. That said, rather than having a sheath made, I simply bought one. However, I'll want to dye it black. What would y'all feel that the best widely available and not horribly expensive leather dye would be?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Best leather dye?

Post by texoma »

Fiebing Pro Dye covers well, I really like the results and it's oil base. It does not stiffen the leather compared to Fiebing or other Leather Dye with alcohol and you will have less chance of the leather cracking. It might cost more but to me it's worth it. It sounds like you bought a sheath already stitched, I always dye my leather before stitching so I can't provide any help or how the finished results will look, especially on and around the stitching. Good luck.
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

I don't disagree with anything texoma said but thought I'd just add something. If the leather has already been dyed it may have some type of sealer or finish applied as a final step to reduce absorption of stains. And that would make it less likely to absorb more dye or get an even distribution. I'd rather have solutions to offer but maybe I can help you avoid another problem. Good luck.
geocash
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

texoma wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:22 am It sounds like you bought a sheath already stitched.
You are correct. I suppose I could somehow remove the stitching and stitch it back together by hand, provided that it isn't dyed.
geocash wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:08 pm If the leather has already been dyed it may have some type of sealer or finish applied as a final step to reduce absorption of stains. And that would make it less likely to absorb more dye or get an even distribution.
Having taken another look at the photo, it does appear to be dyed. But I will have a good look at it before proceeding any further. Worst case scenario, I could always return it or use it as a pattern. This is the sheath in question, just in case a link may help:

https://www.smkw.com/case-open-top-shea ... er-ca50289

Thanks for the helpful advice!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I haven’t tried it myself, but Fiebing is a well known brand for dye with a solid reputation. It’s hard to imagine that an oil-based dye would harm the stitching. At the price of the sheath plus the dye you wouldn’t be out musc if it didn’t work well but that’s your decision. My guess would be the risk is low. JMO. If you don’t want to risk it get a quote from one of the leather workers here on AAPK to get what you want. Costs nothing to ask.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Hi,

I'd echo the fiebing pro dye. It's really all I use any more to dye leather. I would also agree there is a good chance the sheath in the link had a finish on it so tough to say if it will take dye.

Ross
Einhornllc Custom knives and leather.

Come stroll around my AAPK store sit a spell maybe buy a knife or two ::nod::

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/rossr

https://www.einhorncustom.com/
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

I use linen thread, which is white, & more often than not, I dye the thread before stitching unless I want white stitching. It doesn’t seem to hurt the thread at all.
geocash
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Rossr wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:01 pm Hi,

I'd echo the fiebing pro dye. It's really all I use any more to dye leather. I would also agree there is a good chance the sheath in the link had a finish on it so tough to say if it will take dye.

Ross
Yes, I would also agree with this. The Fiebing oil dye is what I use. The black dye may not penetrate the leather sheath you have if it has a finish or silicone waterproofed on it. If it does have a finish on it your black dye will look blotchy and not be an even color.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I've sent Rossr a PM.
USN 2000-2006
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

This saga continues...

The sheath arrived today. It's definitely dyed. I took to Google in search of more options, and eventually made my way to Fiebing's site. There I found the following:

https://fiebing.com/re-dyeing-your-leather-furniture/

This process involves a de-glazer, new dye, and a sealant. Taking into consideration the supplies needed, a custom-made sheath would probably be more cost-effective. But re-dyeing is out there as an option. Can anyone comment as to how well that process works?
USN 2000-2006
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I use Fiebing's de-glaizer, good stuff. ::nod::

I found out something not too long ago about black leather dye, the fellow who runs the leather shop in my town said all black dyes are just dark versions of blue dye, except for USMC black dye. He said it is a true black dye with no blue in it.
Now I can't remember which company makes it is either Fiebings or Lincoln. ::dang:: ::dang::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

USMC Black is made by Fiebing's. I'm glad you mentioned that all other black dyes are actually very dark blue. That will save me some aggravation if I re-dye that sheath.
USN 2000-2006
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

I agree USMC is the blackest black and the other dyes might have a blue tint but I doubt you will see your sheath blue, it will definitely look black. I've used Fiebing Black Pro, Black alcohol and USMC Black alcohol and depending on how you finish your project you probably would not know which one is which. I'm not a professional, it's a hobby, never sold a project even though my friends and family say I should. I will add if you haven't used dye much alcohol can be harder to apply and if you add to much a one time be prepared, it's a little chalky. Good Luck
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:39 pm I've sent Rossr a PM.
IMHO you’re moving in the right direction. Unless you’re interested in doing leatherwork as a hobby, you can spend more time and money just fooling around than you’ll spend buying what you want from someone who knows what they’re doing.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Ken, you are correct. I looked into picking up the tools, and quickly dismissed it as financially irresponsible.
USN 2000-2006
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I have used the Fiebing's oil dyes in the past, primarily the USMC Black, but also some of their browns. They all work well. At least in MI you may be able to get the Oil based dyes. The oil dyes have been "Not Available" in Commiefornia for several years. I have a friend in CA that drives to Las Vegas every few months to buy a large supply.

I still use non-black dyes from Fiebing, but I have shifted almost entirely to using vinegaroon for my black leather projects. I've never tried it on pre-dyed leather. Never gave it a thought. I'll have to go down to the Salvation Army store and buy an old used belt or three to experiment on.

The benefit of vinegaroon is that you get a full thickness black. No tan leather showing if the leather is scraped or cut. The downside of vinegaroon isyou have to neutralize it after using it and the leather then needs some leather oil and buffing to get a shine.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pm At least in MI you may be able to get the Oil based dyes. The oil dyes have been "Not Available" in Commiefornia for several years.
So that's why every place I've seen it sold states "this item cannot be shipped to California." I should have known; I have zero regrets about leaving California!

I'm in talks about having a sheath made, but if I ever decide to get into leather crafting, experimenting on Salvation Army purchases is a wise idea.
USN 2000-2006
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:06 pm Ken, you are correct. I looked into picking up the tools, and quickly dismissed it as financially irresponsible.

Dan sorry for the delay I just replied to your pm.

I can attest to the rabbit hole.of leather work. I started making knives years ago. Needed a sheath so started to learn how to do that. Fast forward several years I have sewing machines hand tools, and all kinds of stuff and a side business doing leather . ......on the flip making is fun.....

Ross

Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:06 pm Ken, you are correct. I looked into picking up the tools, and quickly dismissed it as financially irresponsible.

Dan sorry for the delay I just replied to your pm.

I can attest to the rabbit hole.of leather work. I started making knives years ago. Needed a sheath so started to learn how to do that. Fast forward several years I have sewing machines hand tools, and all kinds of stuff and a side business doing leather . ......on the flip making is fun.....

Ross

mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I have not needed leather die yet. I'm limited to Tandy Leather in Grand Rapids, Mi. for local purchases and don't hear much good about their mail order leather. I also watch the free boxes at garage sales for old quality men's belts for for pieces like for sheath straps and to put on a piece of wood for a knife strop.
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:06 am Google would get me probably half a billion hits on this topic, but I value the opinions of this community. That said, rather than having a sheath made, I simply bought one. However, I'll want to dye it black. What would y'all feel that the best widely available and not horribly expensive leather dye would be?
Fiebings!!! Period!!!!

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”