Canal street made Moore maker

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
RodneyHale

Canal street made Moore maker

Post by RodneyHale »

Just recieved info from Moore maker that their knife/ax combo like the old Case made one was made by Canal Street and a quantity of only 250! And I was fortunate enough to find one unused in red bone in original sheath!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Canal street made Moore maker

Post by philco »

First, welcome to AAPK. ::welcome::

Second, I'd sure love to see some pictures of that outfit.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::welcome:: to AAPK.

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
RodneyHale

Post by RodneyHale »

I would post pictures f knife but can’t figure out how!
RodneyHale

Post by RodneyHale »

I posted a picture on Facebook under friends of Moore maker, that’s where I found out about it! Thanks Rodney
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Rodney I never saw a combo like that go through the Canal Street factory and I was there pretty much from the beginning. Is he absolutely certain about who made it? He might be thinking Case.

Eric
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

ea42 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:28 am Rodney I never saw a combo like that go through the Canal Street factory and I was there pretty much from the beginning. Is absolutely he certain about who made it? He might be thinking Case.

Eric

Can you post a picture of it, Eric? I don't do Facebook. Thanks! ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Varenik

Post by Varenik »

Picture in question.
I think this is the picture he's talking about.
I think this is the picture he's talking about.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

ea42 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:28 am Rodney I never saw a combo like that go through the Canal Street factory and I was there pretty much from the beginning. Is absolutely he certain about who made it? He might be thinking Case.

Eric

I was under the assumption these were Queen, as not long after the factory auction, sets or parts (like the blades) popped up on eBay from time to time; including some that the sellers specifically said "from the Queen bankruptcy auction"
ea42

Post by ea42 »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:13 pm

Eric

I was under the assumption these were Queen, as not long after the factory auction, sets or parts (like the blades) popped up on eBay from time to time; including some that the sellers specifically said "from the Queen bankruptcy auction"

Bingo! Queen it is. Just found an Ebay sale where one of those very combos was sold. Here's the sales pitch:

"I have for sale a Moore Maker 5101AX-2008 Knife Axe Combo. This is a very rare bird. You do not see them very often. The blade was never sharpened from the factory and the same on the axe. Never sharpened. This particular combo has a slight flaw. The locking mechanism doesn’t completely go all the way down as can be seen In the last picture. The knife still works. Interchanges fine. Measures 8-3/4” long with the blade in. Comes with the leather sheath. This knife came from the Queen Cutlery Factory Bankruptcy Sale in June of 2019. They sold their entire contents at public auction. There were thousands of knives and knife parts. They sold all of their production knives, factory samples, bin knives, parts knives, factory seconds, etc. etc. Everything that was in the factory when the doors were closed, sold."

The link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264701400406?h ... SwPt9el8es

And a photo:
Moore Maker Axe Knife Combo by Queen.jpg
Interesting set, I never knew they existed. VERY similar to the old Case sets.

Eric
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Makes you wonder if the tooling for these was somehow part of the Case stuff Parker sold when he owned Case and made the deal with Blue Grass and Queen to produce the “Case Classics”. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RodneyHale

Post by RodneyHale »

I thought it was Queen made myself but according to Moore Maker it was made by Canal Street and he ordered about 250 of them. This info is posted on Facebook under Moore maker fans show ‘‘em if you got ‘em. I’m just going by what they said. It says Moore maker as the one who posted that message. Waylon Moore is probably who I need to ask, .I’ll try to call him tomorrow, if I find out anything I’ll post it here. Thanks Rodney
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Rodney if you speak to Waylon tell him Eric from Canal Street says hello. What a great guy, super friendly and about as All American as you can get. He actually supplied us with mesquite logs right off his ranch for the knife handles on the Moore Maker knives we made for him. I remember sawing one up on the bandsaw when I hit some odd resistance. Turns out I sliced a bullet in half that was embedded in the log, probably a remnant of someone's target practice, or a missed hunting shot! I still have that chunk, one day I'll incorporate it into a knife.

Eric
Varenik

Post by Varenik »

Eric, dibs on that knife ? I'll throw in my pooch along with the payment. :-)
Val
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Valera I'm still trying to figure out what knife to put it on. The darned piece is a bit too narrow for the normal suspects. I'll keep you posted though. Methinks your poochy might like to chew on knife handles for sport LOL.

Eric

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”