Fun Victorinox restore

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Fun Victorinox restore

Post by Reverand »

This was the first time that I had worked with a Victorinox, and was surprised that I really like the knife.
Previously I had only used the smaller versions (with a blade & nail file), and a couple of knock-offs, and I'd had the opinion that they were all cheap junk. I think that the chintzy red plastic handles only reinforced that image in my mind.
3107B02A-FAB6-4972-BFDA-EB95AA509578.jpeg
68BEFE48-D85F-4979-A992-6B6D92AC8256.jpeg
Luckily this one only had one handle, so re-covering it helped me to realize how well-made they really are.
52C4A6BB-527E-4DF7-9D86-8FDEADC1982B.jpeg
I have been coon-fingering it for about a week, and love these Cocobolo handles, but I finally put the finishing touch on it yesterday with a USMC shield, and will be gifting it to a buddy of mine.
945B13B6-6788-4358-8BE7-327FE68CEA64.jpeg
34138977-BB36-44C3-A3F1-313D216E3147.jpeg
Attachments
D06D7D0B-2B2D-4455-A9A3-C686C8443DAE.jpeg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Meridian_Mike

Re: Fun Victorinox restore

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice work Reverand!

Yes, there is certain times that I like the "Swiss Army" knives because of all the tools.

Those covers move that knife on UP to a better category of knives! "Those USEFUL knives that look GOOD" category!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

That is a great job Reverand! Whoever you're gifting that to will love it.... ::tu::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Ditto, great job Reverand! Those cocobolo scales and the USMC shield really dress it up nicely! ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Great job!

I love the cocobolo scales! Victorinox's own hardwood (I think some variety of walnut), in person, has always looked underwhelming; no matter how they look in SMKW catalogs and online. First time I saw them at a local knife store, they looked kinda dried out and too light.

I really dislike Cellidor, which is chemically a modified cellulose acetate that neither shrinks nor outgasses. It breaks easily (especially modern scales; which are hollowed out), scratches easily, and is really susceptible to various common solvents. Pulling my knife out when I had diesel fuel residue on my hands always results in places where it ate the Cellidor. Have seen a lot of them that are warped also. I've been switching my Cellidor over to the nylon plastic handles which are a thousand times better. Aside from the Stayglow, you can't get 58mm scales in nylon; but 84mm and 91mm are common, and it's standard on 111mm.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Man, those wood handles really dressed it up!
Great choice of materials.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

Now it looks like a nice knife !
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Thanks guys!
I bought the Cocobolo a couple of years back from a Woodcraft store, in the "offcut/scrap" bin for $1.25/lb. It was about 2 ft long and 1/8" thick, and the same width as the knife!
I chose it because it was easy, and am glad that I did.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

Reverand wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:32 pm Thanks guys!
I bought the Cocobolo a couple of years back from a Woodcraft store, in the "offcut/scrap" bin for $1.25/lb. It was about 2 ft long and 1/8" thick, and the same width as the knife!
I chose it because it was easy, and am glad that I did.
Great Job, the Cocobolo turned a dull looking Victorinox into a good looking knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
David
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Way better than the original, nice!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”