Schrade "Melon Tester" knives.

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
Captain O

Schrade "Melon Tester" knives.

Post by Captain O »

The old "Melon Tester" knives keep popping back into my life from time to time. As of later the Schrade (Taylor) Chinese-made knives keep lending themselves to kitchen use. The 3Cr13Mov (stainless steel) always has a razor blade etched on its side. This is a steel that asked a quick edge but loses it in a short period of heavy use.

I'm thinking of buying another pair (#102 and #105, smaller and larger model knives respectively). They're usually between $10.00 and $13.00 shipped to the door. Since the steel is less than prone to corrosion, I'm considering buying them and putting them into the kitchen drawer of the farmhouse. They should be convenient for food prep and as a quick "bread knife" that can be washed in a jiffy and dropped back in a drawer with the rest of the cheap kitchen cutlery until they're needed once again.
bigshot

Re: Schrade "Melon Tester" knives.

Post by bigshot »

I just got a 5 inch Rite Edge Spanish Fruit Knife at Amazon that was $8.71 delivered. I bought it as a novelty, but I see how it could be useful in the kitchen. Is Imperial the same as Schrade? That's $13.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

bigshot wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:03 am I just got a 5 inch Rite Edge Spanish Fruit Knife at Amazon that was $8.71 delivered. I bought it as a novelty, but I see how it could be useful in the kitchen. Is Imperial the same as Schrade? That's $13.
It may be. Schrade is made in China for Taylor (Schrade) Cutlery. The Rite Edge appears to be a lot thinner and more flexible. The Schrade "Melon Tester" is an excellent folding kitchen knife. Many supermarket produce managers use these on a daily basis.
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the Chinese made knives all come from the same factory.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

bigshot wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:10 am I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the Chinese-made knives all come from the same factory.
Probably. The 3Cr13Mov Schrade SS102 and the larger SS105 come with Imperial printed on the boxes. They may be relatively inexpensive, but the knives are decent, utilitarian pieces of folding cutlery made expressly for food preparation. (Dried meats, fruit, green produce, etc.). Don't sell them short. They have a purpose. ::nod:: This pattern has been around for over 100 years.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZgY6-_bNmM

I' have put it in the kitchen so that everyone can use it as needed.

(I have the larger Imperial SS105 Melon Tester coming soon, It will stay in the kitchen too). These should prove a convenient folding vegetable knife for everyone in the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5yjceJ57AQ
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Correction: These are the Imperial Melon Tester knives. ::facepalm::
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I want to correct my perceptions (yet again). Thie Imperial and Schrade are coming from the same factory in China and they're using the 7Cr17Mov steel This is better than the 3Cr13 that's been used in some of the lesser knives.

My last order for the Imperial SS105 was canceled by the seller so I reordered the knife. It is well worth having the larger 10.5" knife in the kitchen.

DIMENSIONS: 10.5 inch (26.7 cm) overall length with a blade length of 4.7 inches (11.9 cm) and a weight of 2.6 ounces.
DURABLE: Blade is made of reliable 7Cr17MoV S.S. with an off-white celluloid handle.

These are great vegetable prep knives. ::tu::
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

The Imperial SS105 arrived today. I put a nice edge on the blade and slid it into the silverware drawer along with the SS102. These knives are darned handy and get the job done at a price that is affordable. ::tu:: These are stain and rust-resistant, rendering "yeoman service" for the price paid. The blades are handy vegetable preparation/general kitchen use knives. If you spend about $26.00 on both, you'll get great value from them.

I like them a lot.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Another video of the Imperial/Schrade "Melon Tester" knife (similar dimensions as today's Imperial SS105).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8XDTWFGH9s

Return to “In The Kitchen”