Barlows does anyone else love them

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
LabrendaBestla

Re: Barlows does anyone else love them

Post by LabrendaBestla »

Wow!! Need one like those.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:20 am
tvic wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:59 pm Here’s the two I got on the Boker sale. Nice knives! Thanks for the heads up, Gtrclktr!
I tried to post this yesterday, Tim, but the system was having problems so I never did, but I will now.
I really like your black Boker, in fact I got a copy awhile back and I am more than happy with it. It's such a simple yet solid knife that came at a reasonable price. I've been giving thought to collecting that pattern in all the other colors, but since I'm attempting to buy much less and just enjoy what I already have, I haven't acted on my thoughts. I have faith in me to stand my ground, but time will tell.
That's some fine looking stag on your 2-blader, too. ::tu::
8)
Thanks and totally understand where you’re coming from on collecting, Mark. I plan to go to a knife show in November, and if I don’t back off of buying online, I won’t be able to afford anything there! :lol: My trouble is I just cruise around the Internet with the intention of just “looking” at knives, then I run across knives I just can’t resist! ::mdm:: And with the price of knives these days! Whew! Like I said, I’m thinking like you - I have a nice collection. I need to just enjoy what I have for awhile! ::nod::
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Gtrclktr-351

Post by Gtrclktr-351 »

tvic wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:04 pm My trouble is I just cruise around the Internet with the intention of just “looking” at knives, then I run across knives I just can’t resist! ::mdm:: And with the price of knives these days! Whew! Like I said, I’m thinking like you - I have a nice collection. I need to just enjoy what I have for awhile! ::nod::
I believe many here feel the same way. It seems too often "just looking" magically becomes " it's only one more and I really do like that knife". And then, in organizing the collection you discover empty spaces in whichever storage method you happen to use. But, I can quit ANYTIME I WANT!! ::shrug::
"One man's trash is another man's treasure." Bill
Ivoryman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ivoryman »

JohnR wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:20 am Case Tested era sheepsfoot barlow.
Another knockout, what a knife John, you 'd man who finds the gems. Kudos for scoring that, and for improving the thread again. ::not_worthy:: ::not_worthy:: ::clapping::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

LabrendaBestla wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:25 pm Wow!! Need one like those.
::welcome:: to AAPK, Lab! ::handshake::
It's kindda hard figuring out which knife/post you're referring to when you post a comment like you did, if you want to comment on a certain post from another member, just click-on the quotation marks box up in the top-right corner of the post you want to reply to, and a new page which you wish to comment on comes up in a new window, and from there you type your reply below the information. When you're finished don't forget to click-on "Submit".
I think there's also something called "Cut and Paste" that will do the same, but being PC illiterate myself I don't know how to do that.
We love seeing pictures of your knives too, so feel free to show us what you got!
8)
8)
Gtrclktr-351

Post by Gtrclktr-351 »

doglegg wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:07 am Still a sweet old knife.
toomanyknives wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:27 am It's just fine, GC! Stories to tell! ::tu::
tvic wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:04 pm Nice survivor you got there, Gtrclktr!
JohnR wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:24 pm Nothing wrong with that barlow, shows its age well, I carry one very similar with a clip blade, takes a scary sharp edge.
Thanks for all the kind words. I've toyed with the idea of cleaning and polishing the Barlow ever since I acquired it. Haven't yet convinced myself to do so, and you all may have helped me make the decision to leave it as is.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

tvic wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:04 pm
Madmarco wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:20 am
tvic wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:59 pm Here’s the two I got on the Boker sale. Nice knives! Thanks for the heads up, Gtrclktr!
I tried to post this yesterday, Tim, but the system was having problems so I never did, but I will now.
I really like your black Boker, in fact I got a copy awhile back and I am more than happy with it. It's such a simple yet solid knife that came at a reasonable price. I've been giving thought to collecting that pattern in all the other colors, but since I'm attempting to buy much less and just enjoy what I already have, I haven't acted on my thoughts. I have faith in me to stand my ground, but time will tell.
That's some fine looking stag on your 2-blader, too. ::tu::
8)
Thanks and totally understand where you’re coming from on collecting, Mark. I plan to go to a knife show in November, and if I don’t back off of buying online, I won’t be able to afford anything there! :lol: My trouble is I just cruise around the Internet with the intention of just “looking” at knives, then I run across knives I just can’t resist! ::mdm:: And with the price of knives these days! Whew! Like I said, I’m thinking like you - I have a nice collection. I need to just enjoy what I have for awhile! ::nod::
Yep, know the feelings well, Tim, in-fact, I recently started to immediately delete my daily email notifications from ArizonaCustomKnives so I'm not tempted as much, and when time permits I'll manage all my sellers there and keep just a few for makers I really like, but for now deleting them is working.
I completely stopped browsing eBay last month since they were a big part of the problem too.
It didn't cross my mind that backing-off doesn't need to be forever, and then I read your reply where the last word is, "awhile" and it made me realize nothing is forever, I can start up again whenever I want, and if I do I can come in with both barrels loaded since Mastercard just increased my limit by a whole bunch, so it's all good.
We're suffering from a freakin' disease, buddy, and it's one that tells us "I can stop anytime I want" just like Gtrclktr says in his post after yours!
Hang-on tight, my friend, it's gonna be fun! ::clapping::
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Gtrclktr-351 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm
tvic wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:04 pm My trouble is I just cruise around the Internet with the intention of just “looking” at knives, then I run across knives I just can’t resist! ::mdm:: And with the price of knives these days! Whew! Like I said, I’m thinking like you - I have a nice collection. I need to just enjoy what I have for awhile! ::nod::
I believe many here feel the same way. It seems too often "just looking" magically becomes " it's only one more and I really do like that knife". And then, in organizing the collection you discover empty spaces in whichever storage method you happen to use. But, I can quit ANYTIME I WANT!! ::shrug::
Well said, bud, and oh so true! ::dang::
8)
8)
rdnzl

Post by rdnzl »

IMG_1993 2.jpeg
GSPTOPDOG

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Attachments
DSCF8763.JPG
DSCF8765.JPG
DSCF8769.JPG
DSCF8773.JPG
DSCF8775.JPG
DSCF8771.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Gtrclktr-351

Post by Gtrclktr-351 »

“Sharp” Bulldog and two nice Rough Ryders.The good looking Barlows just keep on coming.
Ivoryman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ivoryman »

A few of my faves
Attachments
1000001374.jpg
1000001354.jpg
1000001369.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Ivoryman wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:15 am A few of my faves
I would have favorites as to blade shape but hard to have a favorite among those handles. Knice showing Iman.
Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

That is a wonderful group of Barlows!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

IMG_7848.jpeg
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:11 am...
Great group, Dog, and you photographed them beautifully. ::tu::
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

And it's not hard to see why, I-man, outstanding group. :shock:
8)
8)
Gtrclktr-351

Post by Gtrclktr-351 »

Not surprising. They are all beautiful. They may all be Barlows, but they are definitely not all the same. I have seen Barlows with clip blades, sheepsfoot blades and wharncliffe blades. I may recall seeing some with a spear blade. I had definitely never seen one with a dagger blade, but now I've seen 2.

And jmh58, that is too pretty a Rosecraft Barlow to be throwing around in the gravel. :wink: :wink:
Ivoryman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ivoryman »

Gtrclktr-351 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:44 pm
Not surprising. They are all beautiful. They may all be Barlows, but they are definitely not all the same. I have seen Barlows with clip blades, sheepsfoot blades and wharncliffe blades. I may recall seeing some with a spear blade. I had definitely never seen one with a dagger blade, but now I've seen 2.

And jmh58, that is too pretty a Rosecraft Barlow to be throwing around in the gravel. :wink: :wink:

I don't know if you're referring to the 7 I posted, but there is no dagger blade in my group. Daggers usually have edge and spine sharpened. Uniform shape down both sides. Mine on the bottom two pics are left to right:
Wharncliffe, spear, spear, spear, sheep foot, clip, clip. Thank you for the compliments.

You too doglegg, and you too MArco, and also JTX, appreciate the mention all of you. Thanks again gents. ::handshake::
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Most excellent Barlows one and all!! 🫶
Fine choices Gentleman!! 🤝
John 😁

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

My Rose Craft Barlow is sooo nice I kinda feel guilty carrying it. 🤔 And you won’t hear me say that too often!! 😋
John 😁

Gtrclktr-351

Post by Gtrclktr-351 »

Ivoryman wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:08 am I don't know if you're referring to the 7 I posted, but there is no dagger blade in my group. Daggers usually have edge and spine sharpened. Uniform shape down both sides. Mine on the bottom two pics are left to right:
Wharncliffe, spear, spear, spear, sheep foot, clip, clip. Thank you for the compliments.
Just another case lack of knife knowledge, or is it confusion? I have seen the blade on your Bulldog Brand with the sharper centerline angles, as opposed to the rounder spear point, referred to as a dagger blade.
Ivoryman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ivoryman »

Gtrclktr-351 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:38 pm
Ivoryman wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:08 am I don't know if you're referring to the 7 I posted, but there is no dagger blade in my group. Daggers usually have edge and spine sharpened. Uniform shape down both sides. Mine on the bottom two pics are left to right:
Just another case lack of knife knowledge, or is it confusion? I have seen the blade on your Bulldog Brand with the sharper centerline angles, as opposed to the rounder spear point, referred to as a dagger blade.
I could be wrong. I just assumed that was a spear blade, bought it second hand so really don't know what Bulldog called it when it was a new one at the dealers. Thanks for the observation and I will have to look that up and double check. Appreciate the notice. ::handshake::
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Nice group of Barlows! ::tu::
David
Gtrclktr-351

Post by Gtrclktr-351 »

Ivoryman wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:51 pm I could be wrong. I just assumed that was a spear blade, bought it second hand so really don't know what Bulldog called it when it was a new one at the dealers. Thanks for the observation and I will have to look that up and double check. Appreciate the notice. ::handshake::
I was referring to MY lack of knowledge and/or confusion. I recently discovered that one of my favorite patters is not what I thought it was(Dogled/Serpentine). I am learning something new here almost every day. If a mistake was made, I am most likely the guilty party.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”