What can I learn about this pair of 4-liners?

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
wpsteel831

What can I learn about this pair of 4-liners?

Post by wpsteel831 »

New to this forum. I’m looking for information about two similar knives from my father’s collection. I’m having trouble finding any specific information and I can’t find any pictures of knives that match. The closest match is the Senator pen pattern, but they usually have asymmetrical blades.

The first is a 4-line Camillus with dark jigged bone/celluloid on both sides. Equal ends with equal spear point blades with small nail nicks. Same stamp on both blades.

The second has a similar 4-line stamp on both blades with jigged bone/celluloid on one side with synthetic pearl on the other. It has the same equal ends and spear blades, but they have longer nail nicks.
Attachments
IMG_2116.jpeg
IMG_2114.jpeg
IMG_2117.jpeg
IMG_2141.jpeg
IMG_2142.jpeg
IMG_2143.jpeg
IMG_2144.jpeg
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: What can I learn about this pair of 4-liners?

Post by djknife13 »

Welcome to AApk. I believe you have a pair of knives that were made as a magic trick where you change the color of the handles by showing the all black one and then switch them without your audience seeing you do it and allowing them to m see the black side and rolling it over so when you show it again, the knife has a white scale. Someone might come along and tell me I'm wrong, but that's my best guess.____Dave
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

When I looked at your knives again, I may be wrong because of the long pull on the two color knife. I'll be interested to see what others think.____Dave
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Could be some slight-of-hand trickery with these two knives. Very cool, thanks for posting and ::welcome:: to AAPK.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

djknife13 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:34 pm When I looked at your knives again, I may be wrong because of the long pull on the two color knife. I'll be interested to see what others think.____Dave
Dave , this one is got me stumped . which doesn’t take much sometimes . With both blades being stamped and the black comp handle on one side and the Nu - Pearl ( Camillus name for composite that looks like Pearl) on the other it’s puzzling! It could be a Salemans sample ,or someone made 1 knife out of 2 , or ?
Will be nice if Vit could give us his feedback. He’s Very knowledgeable about Camillus .
Will look thru the Camillus r us website after Service this morning and see if anything shows up .
JP
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

wpsteel831 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:54 pm New to this forum. I’m looking for information about two similar knives from my father’s collection. I’m having trouble finding any specific information and I can’t find any pictures of knives that match. The closest match is the Senator pen pattern, but they usually have asymmetrical blades.

The first is a 4-line Camillus with dark jigged bone/celluloid on both sides. Equal ends with equal spear point blades with small nail nicks. Same stamp on both blades.

The second has a similar 4-line stamp on both blades with jigged bone/celluloid on one side with synthetic pearl on the other. It has the same equal ends and spear blades, but they have longer nail nicks.
Welcome to the forum . ::handshake::
So ,you have 1 knife with dark colored jigged handles with nail nicks on the both blades and same colored handles . And another with nu Pearl cover on one side and dark jigged looking cover on other side with both blades having long pulls ? Is this correct?
JP
wpsteel831

Post by wpsteel831 »

Yes, that’s correct.
wpsteel831

Post by wpsteel831 »

Ripster wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:00 pm
wpsteel831 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:54 pm New to this forum. I’m looking for information about two similar knives from my father’s collection. I’m having trouble finding any specific information and I can’t find any pictures of knives that match. The closest match is the Senator pen pattern, but they usually have asymmetrical blades.

Welcome to the forum . ::handshake::
So ,you have 1 knife with dark colored jigged handles with nail nicks on the both blades and same colored handles . And another with nu Pearl cover on one side and dark jigged looking cover on other side with both blades having long pulls ? Is this correct?
Yes. That’s correct.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

With both blades the same on both knives, I'm still leaning toward these being the "changing handle color trick knives", but the long pull difference puzzles me. I can't remember who made those magic trick knives back around 1960, but my guess would be Camillus and if I remember correctly, they had cracked ice on one side and black on the other.----Dave
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

djknife13 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:05 pm With both blades the same on both knives, I'm still leaning toward these being the "changing handle color trick knives", but the long pull difference puzzles me. I can't remember who made those magic trick knives back around 1960, but my guess would be Camillus and if I remember correctly, they had cracked ice on one side and black on the other.----Dave
Dave, the 2 longs pulls still has me searching as well ! Did Camillus make the trick knife, believe they did ,will have to do some research. The stamps tell us it’s early 4 line so 1920 s to 1930 s period is my guess based on that . So did they make a trick knife then? Hope Vit or Skip or one of our Camillus crew can help us with this.
Wpsteel, do you have any provenance regarding this knife ? Did your Dad have any reference or any other Camillus in his collection? Nice knives . It’s cool you have some from your Dad .
JP
wpsteel831

Post by wpsteel831 »

Ripster wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:49 pm
djknife13 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:05 pm With both blades the same on both knives, I'm still leaning toward these being the "changing handle color trick knives", but the long pull difference puzzles me. I can't remember who made those magic trick knives back around 1960, but my guess would be Camillus and if I remember correctly, they had cracked ice on one side and black on the other.----Dave
Dave, the 2 longs pulls still has me searching as well ! Did Camillus make the trick knife, believe they did ,will have to do some research. The stamps tell us it’s early 4 line so 1920 s to 1930 s period is my guess based on that . So did they make a trick knife then? Hope Vit or Skip or one of our Camillus crew can help us with this.
Wpsteel, do you have any provenance regarding this knife ? Did your Dad have any reference or any other Camillus in his collection? Nice knives . It’s cool you have some from your Dad .
This discussion is fantastic. Thanks!

Trick knives never would have occurred to me, although buying them would not have been out of character for my dad. I have no idea where he got them. He accumulated mostly Schrade, Case, and vintage Hen&Rooster. The only other Camillus knives I have found are a 100th anniversary commemorative, a few Remingtons, and a couple of Camillus-made Bucks. The discovery and research process has been fun.
-Bill
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

I looked at these photos for a long time and thought about it for a long time. My opinion is that both of these knives were assembled from left over parts... Possibly at the Camillus factory... I think at least 60-70 years ago. This was not a normal practice at the time, so I assume it was done by one of the factory workers.
It is a pity that there is no way to find out the history of their acquisition.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Vit_213 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:33 pm I looked at these photos for a long time and thought about it for a long time. My opinion is that both of these knives were assembled from left over parts... Possibly at the Camillus factory... I think at least 60-70 years ago. This was not a normal practice at the time, so I assume it was done by one of the factory workers.
It is a pity that there is no way to find out the history of their acquisition.
Hello Vit . Thank you for your feedback. Your opinion of the knives is greatly respected and appreciated.
Hope you’re doing well over there my friend ::handshake::
JP
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Ripster wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:37 am Hope you’re doing well over there my friend ::handshake::
::tu:: ::handshake::

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”