Help identifying and dating

Colonel Coon Knives were made by Adrain A. Harris, Mr. Harris started making fixed blade knives as a hobby in the 60's, in 1976 he became the only authorized field repairman in the U.S. for Schrade, a few months later he became the only authorized repairman for Kissing Crane and J.A. Henckels in the United States, in 1978 he founded Tennessee Knife Works Inc. in his home town of Columbia, Tenn. and began making Colonel Coon Knives the old style a true bench made or handmade pocket knife. In 1988 he sold his manufacturing processes to W.R Case & Sons and retired.
ryandwhite

Help identifying and dating

Post by ryandwhite »

Hey, I just picked up this knife from an antique shop for $15. I didn’t know anything about the brand until today, but it felt like a solid knife and a great deal.

I now understand that brand was sold and redeployed (maybe a couple of times?) so I’m trying to figure out when this one was made.

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Bamarick

Re: Help identifying and dating

Post by Bamarick »

Your knife is an original Colonel Coon. This brand was founded by Adrian Harris from Columbia, TN in or around 1978. He sold out to W.R. Case and Sons in or around 1988. During the days of the original Colonel Coon knives a lot of them were made for various knife clubs and organizations. For several years Colonel Coon made a knife commemorating the Columbia, TN Mule Day which is celebrated each year. Original Colonel Coon knives in mint condition are very collectable, with some commanding several hundred dollars. In 2007 Queen Cutlery picked up the brand and began producing Colonel Coon knives in their Titusville, PA facility. I don't know if anyone else picked up the brand after Queen closed their doors. Nice find!! Rick
ryandwhite

Re: Help identifying and dating

Post by ryandwhite »

Thanks Rick!

I just had the knife cleaned up by Old Towne Cutlery. Here are a couple pics they sent. I’ll post some more when I get it.
Attachments
74424027392__17A62135-6FD8-48EE-9AEA-11BE95AC2C8C.jpeg
74424028790__A0F4ABBB-7459-4DC0-9F76-C3FC6229CA6C.jpeg

Return to “Colonel Coon”