Western L-76 commando dagger WW 2

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Rockingkj
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Western L-76 commando dagger WW 2

Post by Rockingkj »

A knife most folks have only seen in Reference Books. Western L-76 dagger.
IMG_7516.jpeg
IMG_7517.jpeg
You can always get more money, good old knives are hard to find.

Nature abhors a vacuum, me I hate a dull knife.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Western L-76 commando dagger WW 2

Post by djknife13 »

Very nice. That is a dream knife for all us Western collectors along with the parachutist No.W31. Nice to see one outside of the books.____Dave
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Very nice!! A friend picked up a W 31 at the Little Valley knife show in a junk box for forty bucks with original sheath. The knife was well sharpened and missing half a wood handle scale, but sooo rare!
Rockingkj
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rockingkj »

Thanks. Only seen a few for sale or sold and the prices is shocking. Lucked in to this one reasonably years ago. Not way I could or would be willing to part with the $ to get one today. One day this one will find a new caregiver. Not getting any younger.

Rockingkj
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rockingkj »

Gunsil wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 12:54 pm Very nice!! A friend picked up a W 31 at the Little Valley knife show in a junk box for forty bucks with original sheath. The knife was well sharpened and missing half a wood handle scale, but sooo rare!
Yup that’s a grail knife. Some times lightning strikes.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”