Hubertus wood handles

For Collectors & Users of Hubertus Brand Knives
lriemann

Hubertus wood handles

Post by lriemann »

Hi everyone!

Nostalgia is getting to me, so I decided to get a Hubertus Springer similar to the one I somehow lost about a decade ago - I think it was wood or micarta grip.
I'll use it as a desk toy for its slick action :-)

I saw this knife up for sale, who is said to be in very good condition, but the seller hasn't specified the wood type.
The wood looks to be a little worn and dry.
Can the wood be restored easily with oil or something, or is it too worn and I better wait for a better preserved Springer?

Related question: has anyone encountered problems with switchblades in checked luggage?
I live in Europe but I'm thinking about getting a knife or two in the US in the future - would suck to have it confiscated...

Any help appreciated!
HUB2.jpg
HUB1.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Hubertus wood handles

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That looks like wood, not micarta. You might try a good oil for wood furniuture? Linseed oil, tung oil, etc. Many use and recommend mineral oil also. You should be able to find mineral oil at your pharmacist. Neither should harm it. Renaissance Wax is widely used by knife collectors for restoring and preserving all materials including wood. You can do a search for “Renaissance Wax” and learn all about it.

I have transported knives in checked luggage on international flights several times, but none were switchblades. Typically I pack my EDC in a checked bag - just a single knife. Never had any problems. However within the past two years I’ve taken several collectable knives to my son who lives in the UK. Both times I’ve done that (10 - 12 traditional pocket knives packed in a checked bag) I was searched at TSA security in the U.S. before boarding. I suspect when they X-rayed my bag and saw the knives they contacted TSA security and had them search me. Don’t know for sure but that is the only time I’ve ever been subjected to a hand “pat-down” frisk search, even after passing through their metal detectors. The knives arrived unscathed, although in one instance the bag had a pre-printed note inside saying that the bag had been opened by TSA security and its contents examined.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
lriemann

Post by lriemann »

Thank you for the very helpful reply.
That wax looks fabulous.
I will get it if I get this specific knife.
It looks good overall, right?

I hope Things will work out with TSA, if it comes to that.

All the best,
Ron
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Hey Ron!
I just replied to your PM if you wish to read it!
8)
8)

Return to “Hubertus”