Gerber 2 blade

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Gerber 2 blade

Post by stockman »

4” Portland Or. number 87223 USA. First Gerber I have owned. Funny looking knife blades are level with the tangs except on pile side of the master blade. Found at a garage sale. Any information? Harold
Attachments
F8D7BF9B-D97F-495F-993B-7379E8927155.jpeg
6FAAD6CA-B019-465A-8C26-387020989B73.jpeg
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Gerber 2 blade

Post by Case V42 »

Your knife is a PK-1. There were also three other PK models made with varying blade combinations. Years of production were 1973-81.

I don't understand your comment about the blades..."level?"
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Blades are flat at the tang on mark side of master and both sides on secondary blade. I hadn’t seen that before. Thanks for your reply. Harold
Suredan

Post by Suredan »

Also called a “Skookum”. They were designed to have a soft close instead of “snapping” closed per the flyer in the original box.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

The master blade does snap closing to the half stop, but not on closing. You need to close it. I tried to oil it but didn’t help. Thanks for the info. Harold
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Case V42 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:04 am [...] I don't understand your comment about the blades..."level?"
I think he's pointing out the blade bevel was only ground on one side. To be sure I'm understood, the blade bevel is above the edge bevel. Long ago some hatchets were made that way. They were for cutting the square cornered notches in logs for log cabins. Maybe I'll remember the name of that style of hatchet someday. I suspect this knife was only grond on one side to lower its cost.
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

OK. I'm obviously not the brightest bulb in the box, but I think I have this puzzled out now. The portion of the blade that transitions from the tang to the grind is called the "shoulder". The shoulder is usually a straight line perpendicular to the edge. However, Gerber ground many models with a radiused shoulder. The tang/cutting edge transition was a graceful quarter-of-circle taper. That shoulder style is found on FH, FS, PK, and Classic models. I have no documented evidence, but I believe this style was used in earlier production with a later switch to the more common square shoulder.

Why just one side of one blade has a square grind I don't know, but I suspect that blade has been reground at some point after it left the factory.

I believe the hatchet grind on only one side of the blade is referred to as a "hewing" hatchet, which is used to create a flat side on a beam or plank.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Case V42 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:27 am OK. I'm obviously not the brightest bulb in the box, but I think I have this puzzled out now. The portion of the blade that transitions from the tang to the grind is called the "shoulder". The shoulder is usually a straight line perpendicular to the edge. However, Gerber ground many models with a radiused shoulder. The tang/cutting edge transition was a graceful quarter-of-circle taper. That shoulder style is found on FH, FS, PK, and Classic models. I have no documented evidence, but I believe this style was used in earlier production with a later switch to the more common square shoulder.

Why just one side of one blade has a square grind I don't know, but I suspect that blade has been reground at some point after it left the factory.

I believe the hatchet grind on only one side of the blade is referred to as a "hewing" hatchet, which is used to create a flat side on a beam or plank.
You are probably right on your idea about the hewing hatchet. This knife has not been altered.
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

Well, I guess I've seen stranger things that have come out of the Gerber factory.

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”