The Ideal

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
New to this

The Ideal

Post by New to this »

I picked this up at an antique store. The tang stamp says “The Ideal”. I know they were in business from 1920-1986. I’m trying to get an approximate age of the knife. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_2238.jpeg
ea42

Re: The Ideal

Post by ea42 »

I'm thinking late '50's to early 70's but not positive. Classic gas station knives.

Eric
New to this

Post by New to this »

Thanks Eric, I appreciate the feedback. I was thinking it may have also been sold in a souvenir shop since I found it in an antique shop in Williamsburg and it has VIRGINIA printed on its side. Just wish I could put date on it. Thanks again!
ea42

Post by ea42 »

New to this wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 6:48 pm Thanks Eric, I appreciate the feedback. I was thinking it may have also been sold in a souvenir shop since I found it in an antique shop in Williamsburg and it has VIRGINIA printed on its side. Just wish I could put date on it. Thanks again!
Hard to date those guys as they didn't change much over the years. Thinking about it I may have been a bit off on the dates as you could probably shift a bit earlier on the low end, maybe early fifties rather than late fifties. They were very inexpensive knives that were available in gas stations, gift shops, truck stops, anywhere there was a register with a countertop of goodies. Even now you're very lucky to get anywhere near ten bucks for one in mint condition. Here's what a card with your knife would have looked like:
Ideal Knife Display 2.jpg
Eric
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Ideal knives were as cheap as cheap can get. The ones I have seen only have the blade beveled from one side.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
New to this

Post by New to this »

Again, I appreciate the info. I’m gonna clean it up as best I can and put an edge on it. It still has pretty good snap to it when closing and the blades aren’t in terrible shape. Hopefully it’ll clean up pretty good!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”