Remington Dollar Knife

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Bret888

Remington Dollar Knife

Post by Bret888 »

We got a R100A yesterday, that has seen a little use, but not much. It raises a couple questions. I didn't know Remington made a "Dollar Knife", and I didn't know they made a covered backspring knife either. Did they have a line of models that were Dollar Knives? Were they cheaper? It looks like the bolsters are integral with the outer liners, like they punched them out in a die, then folded, for the frame. I can't see a big cost savings in this, but maybe it was?
Attachments
Remington-Dollar knife-covered backspring2.jpg
Remington-Dollar knife-covered backspring3.jpg
remington collector

Re: Remington Dollar Knife

Post by remington collector »

Thats a sweet knife you have there. ::tu:: The R100 was the only pattern Remington ever made with the covered backsprings. I believe they were experimenting with different manufacturing techniques, but this idea never caught on. The knife actuall sold for one dollar, which was right in line with the other smaller stockman Remington patterns of that era. I have several R100A's and there were at least two different etches used on the Dollar knife blade. Also in the dollar knife line was a R100B, it had a punch blade instead of a pen blade.
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

Thanks RC, I was hoping that you would reply, and that's exactly what I was wondering.

Bret
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Remington also made the dollar knife in the R105A & R105B with pyremite handles. The R105B having a punch blade. Also no shields on the pyremite dollar knives.
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

Thanks UMC, that is interesting.
Tom's Classy Cases

Post by Tom's Classy Cases »

Yes the r100a & r100b, including the r105a & r105b had covered backsprings. But, the rs3333 also made-probably a very select few- a scout with covered springs. I've only seen one so I assume they are very, very hard to find.
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Tom's Classy Cases wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:47 pm But, the rs3333 also made-probably a very select few- a scout with covered springs. I've only seen one so I assume they are very, very hard to find.
Old thread but a good one !
Yes it’s one of the more difficult ones to acquire , I picked up this one around 20 years ago .
Attachments
IMG_3964.png
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I wonder how Bret and Kathy are doing? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
wlf
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by wlf »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:55 am I wonder how Bret and Kathy are doing? ::shrug::
It's good to have a head start Mike. :D

Me too John.
I saw them at my first GEC Rendezvous and I was invited to their home.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

wlf wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:26 pm
1967redrider wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:55 am
It's good to have a head start Mike. :D

Right ! I couldn’t imagine starting all over again with todays prices and competition

Mike
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
LKSKNIVES
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by LKSKNIVES »

When I was digging through My Dads knives the other day/week or month time goes so fast. I saw a Remington with a covered back spring. Now I will have to dig for it to see what it is. I know Dads was not in a box. Glad I looked at this post thank you for the info before I asked.
Steve
LKSKNIVES
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by LKSKNIVES »

It’s been a bit but I looked things over and found a pair of Remington dollar knives 100a and 100b.
Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the covered back springs
Enjoy.
Steve
Attachments
IMG_6739.jpeg
IMG_6742.jpeg
IMG_6741.jpeg
IMG_6736.jpeg
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Nice old thread back to life. Pictures of a old knife I sold back a few years. Sorry about the pictures, screen shot.

Harold
Attachments
177BC754-D845-4B59-9546-84A726C9F50E.jpeg
EF256929-1C59-4EB3-8CDA-353A9F0E8E61.jpeg
LKSKNIVES
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by LKSKNIVES »

Good morning Harold,
Pictures are more than good enough to see that the etch on that knife was strong good looking knife. Both of dad’s are gone now as well. I have been trying to take pictures of them before I sell them. Now that I’m starting to liquidate more I keep finding and learning as I go.
Steve
LKSKNIVES
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by LKSKNIVES »

Forgot to say I thought it is really cool that the etch said Dollar Knife right on it.
Steve

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”