Knife Fast

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Corn Creek Cutlery
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Knife Fast

Post by Corn Creek Cutlery »

This topic may have already been done. I did some searching, but didn't find it.
Anyway, do any of you try to fast knives, meaning go without purchasing a knife(s) for a period of time, as a body would fast food? I have seen many posts on this forum about refraining from purchases, but no strategies or methods on how to go about it. If you are buying to resell, that is business. This question is directed more toward personal knife collection purchases.

I have tried this many times, but usually will cave in while browsing AAPK or the Bay. The longest I have made it is 5 days or so, then temptation came lurking, and it was over. ::facepalm:: A $5 knife or a $200+ knife can cause me to break the fast ... depends on the knife or the deal. I am getting better at this however. Currently, I am on day two of yet another knife fast, have been browsing as usual, but holding firm to my commitment to myself. :D
How long can you go before feeding the addiction? Or, perhaps you would like to post a picture of an impulse knife purchase.
Wow, just noticed, this is my 1,000th post ... maybe I should get me another one to celebrate! ::shrug::
Tony .. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/corncreekcutlery .. "We are a Qualified RoseCraft Blades Dealer"
It's only money .. give the Lord His .. pay the bills .. give the wife hers .. and buy yourself another knife.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knife Fast

Post by Railsplitter »

Ha! Knife fasting! I’ve never heard it put quite that way before. :D

I give it a try more often than I care to admit but it doesn’t last very long for me either.

I have found that it lasts the longest if I let it come naturally and don’t try to force it. I will occasionally go a few months without buying any knives. When that happens, I usually don’t even realize it. Then one day it hits me that I haven’t bought a knife in 3 months. But trying to force it almost always results in caving after a few days.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
INlesK

Post by INlesK »

Checkbook tells me when and how long to fast.
LesK
Corn Creek Cutlery
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Railsplitter wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:45 am Ha! Knife fasting! I’ve never heard it put quite that way before. :D

I give it a try more often than I care to admit but it doesn’t last very long for me either.

I have found that it lasts the longest if I let it come naturally and don’t try to force it. I will occasionally go a few months without buying any knives. When that happens, I usually don’t even realize it. Then one day it hits me that I haven’t bought a knife in 3 months. But trying to force it almost always results in caving after a few days.
Rick, I commend you ... a few months is a long time to go through the withdrawal. Perhaps, fishing more would help, but of course, knives are a part of that hobby also. ::hmm::
Tony .. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/corncreekcutlery .. "We are a Qualified RoseCraft Blades Dealer"
It's only money .. give the Lord His .. pay the bills .. give the wife hers .. and buy yourself another knife.
Corn Creek Cutlery
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

INlesK wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 2:56 am Checkbook tells me when and how long to fast.
Know what you mean there Les! But, knives can be a gateway to " FCA " ... feeding the checkbook addiction. More money=More knives. ::woot::
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

I know the feeling Tony! I go to a knife show a couple of times a year, and I always promise myself I need to hold off buying for a couple of months beforehand so I can save up. The problem is I always find something that I’ve been looking for or something that I feel like I better get or it’ll be a long time - or never - before I see one again. One thing that has helped me lately is prices. For example, I’ve been somewhat boycotting Case lately because the prices have just gone nuts. The best defense against buying for me is “don’t browse!” I find myself browsing eBay and online knife stores when I’m bored, and it always ends up with an unanticipated purchase. So, if I stay away, I won’t buy it if I don’t see it! Luckily, just checking the Forum doesn’t tempt me much - as long as I don’t browse the AAPK stores! :D
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Railsplitter wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:45 am I have found that it lasts the longest if I let it come naturally and don’t try to force it.
That's how you do it. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Corn Creek Cutlery
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

tvic wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:59 pm I know the feeling Tony! I go to a knife show a couple of times a year, and I always promise myself I need to hold off buying for a couple of months beforehand so I can save up. The problem is I always find something that I’ve been looking for or something that I feel like I better get or it’ll be a long time - or never - before I see one again. One thing that has helped me lately is prices. For example, I’ve been somewhat boycotting Case lately because the prices have just gone nuts. The best defense against buying for me is “don’t browse!” I find myself browsing eBay and online knife stores when I’m bored, and it always ends up with an unanticipated purchase. So, if I stay away, I won’t buy it if I don’t see it! Luckily, just checking the Forum doesn’t tempt me much - as long as I don’t browse the AAPK stores! :D
Tim, you must be reading my mind ... the Pigeon Forge Knife Show is coming up first of November, and that is why I am currently on a fast. I always browse ... nothing like eye candy when fasting. I will offer a couple of my tips and tricks here:
#1- If a Desirable is found in an AAPK Store, make a note or bookmark, and sleep on it, but don't buy it "in the moment", you are fasting .... Easy right?
#2 -Some AAPK sellers will hold one for you until your fast is over, then pulllll the trigger after! Great Sellers here!!
#3 -This tip is for saving money for an upcoming knife show. Search the Bay for knives $0.99 to $20.00 ... Be surprised what you may be able to get!
Currently on Day #3 ... doing good so far!
Thanks XX Case XX
eveled
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by eveled »

If you have an addictive personality it is easy to switch addictions. Even healthy things like exercising can be addictive to some people and can become unhealthy.

Sometimes it takes a willingness to look deep into yourself and see why you want to buy a knife(or whatever) and be honest With yourself if it is an addiction or just fun.
Corn Creek Cutlery
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

eveled wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:04 pm If you have an addictive personality it is easy to switch addictions. Even healthy things like exercising can be addictive to some people and can become unhealthy.

Sometimes it takes a willingness to look deep into yourself and see why you want to buy a knife(or whatever) and be honest With yourself if it is an addiction or just fun.
Thanks Eveled, I hear wisdom in your words. Good advice!
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Austerity is a good thing - healthy even - at some point we all come to the conclusion that you can’t own everything you love and what you already have is pretty damn satisfying.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Scout Knife Collection On Sale @ www.allaboutpocketknives.com/bestgear
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Corn Creek Cutlery
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

bestgear wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:40 pm Austerity is a good thing - healthy even - at some point we all come to the conclusion that you can’t own everything you love and what you already have is pretty damn satisfying.
Thanks Tom ... more words of wisdom. ::tu::
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Corn Creek Cutlery wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:29 pm
bestgear wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:40 pm Austerity is a good thing - healthy even - at some point we all come to the conclusion that you can’t own everything you love and what you already have is pretty damn satisfying.
Thanks Tom ... more words of wisdom. ::tu::
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
eveled
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by eveled »

Corn Creek Cutlery wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:01 pm
eveled wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:04 pm If you have an addictive personality it is easy to switch addictions. Even healthy things like exercising can be addictive to some people and can become unhealthy.

Sometimes you just have to say “NO”. .
Corn Creek Cutlery
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

eveled wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:45 pm
Corn Creek Cutlery wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:01 pm

Sometimes you just have to say “NO”. .
You are right Eveled ... I think most of us have said No more than Yes, including myself. Another option is if wanting to buy an expensive knife, one can sell the equivalent price wise, or sell multiples. Having a physical store affords me the luxury of doing that, but it also puts me in contact with a lot of knives. I can't keep them all, but I can hang on to a few for a little while. :wink:
eveled
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by eveled »

If you’re selling too, I’d say you’re in the clear of it being an addiction. Best wishes on your fast.
Corn Creek Cutlery
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I didn't make it through Day 4 ... the knife fast is broken again. ::facepalm:: Went to an auction last night, and bought a few to resell.
Toward the end, this Japan made Frost "Keeper" showed up. For $16.50, I had to have it! ::super_happy:: I feel better now.
Attachments
FrostBowie1.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”