STOLEN VALOR

Welcome to AAPK's Veteran’s Forum. This is a place where veterans can meet, get to know one another better, perhaps swap a story or two, and share any recent information that they have acquired from the Veterans Administration, DoD and Veterans Service Organizations, including but not limited to, DAV, AMVETS, VFW, American Legion, PVA, and MOPH. Another good source of information are branch specific organizations.
We will have a voluntary CHECKING IN topic where you can introduce yourself, years serve and branch or branches of service. Welcome Aboard!
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

STOLEN VALOR

Post by Ridgegrass »

I'm about 100 pages into this book, STOLEN VALOR, by B.G Burkett and Glenna Whitley. It's an argument that the portrayals and attitudes toward Vietnam vets are falsely based and have contributed to their poor standing in the national conscience. The idea that 'Nam vets were and are generally losers, psychotics, druggies and misfits has erased the truth about who we are as a group. The authors' research is extensive and shocking. They have debunked newspapers, TV networks, big business, Hollywood, and academic portrayals of vets.
If you're a 'Nam vet, or closely associated with one, I recommend the book to you. We all had our lives altered back then and, no matter what your experience, this book should give you a new perspective on yourself and the rest of our brothers and sisters from the Jolly Green. We're hearing the expression a lot lately, relating to the election. This has absolutely nothing to do with that. The authors define "Stolen Valor" in it's true and damaging character. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_7324.jpg
FRJ

Re: STOLEN VALOR

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, J. O'.
Great post.
Joe
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: STOLEN VALOR

Post by Reverand »

Awesome posts.
I know several Veterans of the Viet Nam war, some who joined up and others who were drafted.
Most were good men who faithfully served their country, but felt abandoned by it after they returned home. I could never understand why they were not given parades and a hero's welcome.
The war might have been unpopular, and citizens had every right to protest the war and the politicians, but never our men and women in uniform.
May God bless them, every one.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Veteran’s Forum”