Schmachtenberg

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
inkster

Schmachtenberg

Post by inkster »

Hi I was trying to find out all I can, including value on this knife. i couldn't get a good picture of the tang stamp, but here is what it says.

Schmachtenberg
soligen
germany

The other blade says.

Schmachtenberg
BROS
Germany

This knife has awesome half stops and great snap.

Thanks in advance.

Chris :mrgreen:
Attachments
MVC-039S.JPG
MVC-039S.JPG (39.6 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
MVC-038S.JPG
MVC-038S.JPG (38.36 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Hi inkster. Goins has a listing for Schmachtenberg bros (surprised they could fit that all on a blade). According to Goins, they had an import company based in New York and a factoy in Solingen from 1887-1939. The fact that is says Germany probably means that it was imported after the 1890s. I don't know the value. Looks well loved and a quality knife though. I hope this helps a little. :) s-k

added: if it is made from stainless steel that would narrow the age range to 1920s-1939.
inkster

Post by inkster »

Thank you very much. It does look like it was treated well. The handles are stainless, or at least they appear to be. I'm not sure about the blades though. You wouldn't belive the snap it has, especially for it's age. It looks like it used to say something on the main blade as well, but that's almost gone, and the blades were used quite a bit, as you can see they must have neen sharpened many many times, unles they were made in that odd shape :?

I picked it up at a antique shop upstate New York, about 3 years ago or so.
inkster

Post by inkster »

I finally got a decent pic of the tang Tripods are fun :mrgreen: :lol: Please let me know if this helps. I just put it on ebay. if you happen to have anymore good info. I would edit the auction to add it.
Attachments
19301.JPG
19301.JPG (34.94 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

schmactenberg

Post by Mossdancer »

Hi Inkster;
I realize you may not want to, but if you dont mind please put a link to your E sale. I have an old bone handled one.
wb
inkster

Post by inkster »

Here's the auction number 250054167511 I'm having a hard time linking the address. I am on someone else's computer. This thing is wrecked. :lol:
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

schmachtenberg

Post by Mossdancer »

Hey Inkster;
Thanks,
wb
inkster

Post by inkster »

No problem Brother :)

Return to “European-made knives”