Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

A place dedicated to swords, hatchets, throwing knives, oriental cutlery, tomahawk heads and more. Anything you do not consider to be 100% traditional knife is welcome.
Bfeldman

Re: Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

Post by Bfeldman » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:33 pm

I forgot that I did take before pics of the Anchor. Not great quality unfortunately.
E51E9BF7-698B-4333-97F0-BCA7ED782AC9.jpeg
12214497-1FE1-4642-97D2-E3BB8E20561A.jpeg

muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man » Wed May 01, 2019 2:04 pm

vikingdog wrote:A few old ones.
Beauties, it pains me that I missed my chance at that red devil ::mdm::
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives

muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man » Wed May 01, 2019 2:08 pm

At least far as collecting goes my interest has turned to axes over knives. Basically my sole interest is the Jersey pattern I am nearing about 120 pieces in the collection thus far. I do enjoy giving old battered ones a facelift almost as much as I do finding very clean all original examples.
Attachments
collins legitimus original 4.5 lb  (1).jpg
kelly works black raven reproduction (1).jpg
True Temper Red warrior kelly works (1).jpg
unico 3.2 phantom bevels (1).jpg

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg » Wed May 01, 2019 2:23 pm

Good to see you MM. And I do enjoy what you do to your axes. ::nod:: ::tu::

rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:47 pm

muskrat man wrote:At least far as collecting goes my interest has turned to axes over knives. Basically my sole interest is the Jersey pattern I am nearing about 120 pieces in the collection thus far. I do enjoy giving old battered ones a facelift almost as much as I do finding very clean all original examples.
I live in MD and I find more Jersey's than all other styles put together. I've taken pics of ones that I passed because they were beat to death, and had people give me heck. In some parts of the country guys have never seen one. I sent one to London as a surprise, got his address from a friend, and the young guy bout had a stroke. Wanted to pay me back. I paid less than a bottle of beer for it. A guy bid $5 on an old Craftsman tool box with a pile of odds and ends in it. I offered him $2 for the ax, all he wanted was the tool box. I do prefer doubles, especially Cruisers. That is a pile of nice ones you have there. Most of my Jersey's are no name, but I do have a couple Plumbs and a Dunlap that I can think of.

rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:01 pm

Wow, I went back a couple pages and man did I miss some nice ones. I hang out on an Arborist site and they have an Ax forum. There was an auction in Edinburg VA last weekend. They had a collection of 40 or more axes, several Cruisers. I should have posted the sale here. Is there any site rule against posting live auctions. If not, I'll post big collections. This auction house does take phone bids on items and ship.

muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man » Thu May 02, 2019 12:04 am

rarefish383 wrote:
muskrat man wrote:At least far as collecting goes my interest has turned to axes over knives. Basically my sole interest is the Jersey pattern I am nearing about 120 pieces in the collection thus far. I do enjoy giving old battered ones a facelift almost as much as I do finding very clean all original examples.
I live in MD and I find more Jersey's than all other styles put together. I've taken pics of ones that I passed because they were beat to death, and had people give me heck. In some parts of the country guys have never seen one. I sent one to London as a surprise, got his address from a friend, and the young guy bout had a stroke. Wanted to pay me back. I paid less than a bottle of beer for it. A guy bid $5 on an old Craftsman tool box with a pile of odds and ends in it. I offered him $2 for the ax, all he wanted was the tool box. I do prefer doubles, especially Cruisers. That is a pile of nice ones you have there. Most of my Jersey's are no name, but I do have a couple Plumbs and a Dunlap that I can think of.
If you come across any decent ones with markings that you'd let go of hit me up I have plenty of trading fodder, and green :D

muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man » Thu May 02, 2019 12:09 am

A few more
Attachments
Mann True American  (1).jpg
Snow & Neally 3 lb (1).jpg
TBA (1).jpg
true temper red  warrior kelly works 4 (1).jpg

FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by FRJ » Thu May 02, 2019 12:43 am

What little I know about knives I know even less about hatchets and axes.
But they sure are nice to look at. Thanks for all the pictures.
Joe

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg » Thu May 02, 2019 12:43 am

Very cool MM. ::nod:: ::tu::

Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman » Fri May 03, 2019 12:08 am

Very nice MM. The embossing on that Black Raven is spectacular.

Here’s a picture of the full haul from my recent purchase. I haven’t yet done anything with the Collins or Hults Bruk. Both have solid handles so I’ll probably just clean the heads a bit. I was hoping to save the Keen Kutter handle but it’s in worse shape than I originally thought.
F1839DBA-8A66-461F-96BC-FF072D6DF250.jpeg

rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:06 pm

muskrat man wrote:
rarefish383 wrote:
If you come across any decent ones with markings that you'd let go of hit me up I have plenty of trading fodder, and green :D
My Brother in Law lives in Boardman, anywhere close to you? I have friends in Pickerington too. Always need a reason for a road trip.

muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man » Sun May 05, 2019 7:57 pm

rarefish383 wrote:
muskrat man wrote:
rarefish383 wrote: I live in MD and I find more Jersey's than all other styles put together. I've taken pics of ones that I passed because they were beat to death, and had people give me heck. In some parts of the country guys have never seen one. I sent one to London as a surprise, got his address from a friend, and the young guy bout had a stroke. Wanted to pay me back. I paid less than a bottle of beer for it. A guy bid $5 on an old Craftsman tool box with a pile of odds and ends in it. I offered him $2 for the ax, all he wanted was the tool box. I do prefer doubles, especially Cruisers. That is a pile of nice ones you have there. Most of my Jersey's are no name, but I do have a couple Plumbs and a Dunlap that I can think of.
My Brother in Law lives in Boardman, anywhere close to you? I have friends in Pickerington too. Always need a reason for a road trip.

Nearly 5 hours from me

Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman » Thu May 09, 2019 10:34 pm

Here’s the Plumb Anchor cleaned up after the vinegar and steal wool treatment.
B35356AA-5EB5-4BC9-8FDF-92FA9F2CF1E0.jpeg
BCE22506-AA95-4E63-A5EA-AD6A8AF86438.jpeg
14F7BDC4-7FBD-4C22-BF53-A4D79554CFE8.jpeg
7D3BB979-BC93-4A02-9D73-C956B4F327A1.jpeg
EF77F87F-A2AA-4857-A999-9318A44E3F31.jpeg
642C1559-F4F9-45C0-9187-B389ED6BD4EE.jpeg

Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman » Wed May 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Putting more work into the HB. First two are before I did much of anything.
F2D28B67-EDCA-4566-AA0D-BF36EDD04028.jpeg
DBA75E5E-6706-4A7C-88DC-87CE6731D5B2.jpeg
I wanted to preserve the original paint and was worried vinegar would strip it. After a little research I went with Evapo-Rust. Here’s what it looks like after an overnight soak.
F6A90AA5-545A-4720-B53E-2410B0AF2B31.jpeg

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”