Farmer's Jacks

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
wlf

Re: Farmer's Jacks

Post by wlf »

No John, Tony said he would have given it to me, but it was given to him. Pretty sure from what I remember it is a wharnclff frame, but with less curves, chunkier. Not the usually elegant J Rodgers knife and different from a cut I have of a J Rodgers below. One of the beefiest knives of all knives I've ever held.
Attachments
Joseph Rodgers Cutlers to Her Majesty.jpg
J Rodgers (2).jpg
J Rodgers.jpg
J Rogers & Wostenholm.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

Lyle you have a great collection, I applaud you for being so dedicated to a niche pattern lol my collection is all over the map and I find myself wanting to try and focus my efforts in some way.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks for sharing the pic of the Rodgers Lyle ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Given I think I am seeing “Oil the Joints” I would guess this knife is +/- 1950?? Which prompts another question - what is the earliest FJ you have or when do you think the pattern came into existence??
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

wlf wrote:No John, Tony said he would have given it to me, but it was given to him. Pretty sure from what I remember it is a wharnclff frame, but with less curves, chunkier. Not the usually elegant J Rodgers knife and different from a cut I have of a J Rodgers below. One of the beefiest knives of all knives I've ever held.
Yes, I can see the slight curve to it now, well at least you were able to get pictures of it.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Oh, and by the way that is a great Stag Wostenholm shown with it, gorgeous knife!
wlf

Post by wlf »

LongBlade wrote:Thanks for sharing the pic of the Rodgers Lyle ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Given I think I am seeing “Oil the Joints” I would guess this knife is +/- 1950?? Which prompts another question - what is the earliest FJ you have or when do you think the pattern came into existence??
It's definitely later Lee, but I don't know how late.It has a similitude of the typical English bone jigging I often refer to.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

More gorgeous knife finds, Lyle. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Finally added something other than a Schrade or Wostenholm, a pretty nice Remington Farmers Jack, the tang stamp on both blades is just Remington UMC, no Made IN USA so I think that is early 1920's. Close to full blades and really nice bone.
Attachments
IMG_0244.jpg
IMG_0245.jpg
IMG_0248.jpg
IMG_0251.jpg
IMG_0252.jpg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

John, you buy great knives. ::tu::
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

John ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I only need to say one word - bone ::drool::
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

espn77 wrote:John, you buy great knives. ::tu::
Thanks Keith, appreciate it, I try. I left out the pattern number, looks to be R3853
espn77

Post by espn77 »

JohnR wrote: Thanks Keith, appreciate it, I try. I left out the pattern number, looks to be R3853
Yours is a lot nicer than my example. ::tu::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

LongBlade wrote:John ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I only need to say one word - bone ::drool::
Thank you Lee, appreciate it.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Very nice!John,You're make Lyle jealous. ::tu::
Roger
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

peanut740 wrote:Very nice!John,You're make Lyle jealous. ::tu::
Thanks Roger, I don't think Lyle will be too jealous, he has some pretty outstanding Remingtons.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful find, John! ::tu:: Old Remington bone is some of the best!
Dan
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

espn77 wrote:John, you buy great knives. ::tu::
I second that. ::tu::
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice find John. It’s always hard to tell the wear on spear and pruning blades. Yours or should I say Donna’s is fairly full.

Lyle
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

wlf wrote:Nice find John. It’s always hard to tell the wear on spear and pruning blades. Yours or should I say Donna’s is fairly full.

Thanks Lyle and you are right, should have said Donna's :D She seems to be claiming more of my new arrivals lately.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Got a couple to add. This Southington is a smaller version like the Holley,Schatt and Morgan,and A Fields I have. I suspect these were early American versions of this pattern, although the bone on the larger framed Southington I have, seems to be an earlier example of jigging? I guess it could be they made two models ?

This knife looks to have never been used much ,if at all.The point on the pruning blade has been dulled off from opening and closing ,I would think.
Attachments
Southington528.jpg
Southington530.jpg
Southington532.jpg
Southington532.jpg (21.2 KiB) Viewed 4604 times

Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

Here is a comparison from left to right of the large (4", common farmers jack size) Southington and the smaller (3 3/4") Southington,A Fields( made by Schatt and Morgan), Schatt and Morgan, and Holley.Compared to the Southington the Holley and Schatt look well used. I would have never thought the 3 3/4" Southington's pruning blade was as robust as it is. Pruning blades and spear blades will fool you unless you have a verifiable unused comparison.

On the other hand,the Holley is fuller than you think and the Schatt is near full, why....? The pruning blades were never that robust, as the Southington. They are a slimmer peach pruning type blade. Cuts in a 1915 Holley catalog and an old Schatt catalog shows the slimmer design.
I couldn't keep the tribe still.
Attachments
Comparisons of large Southington and small Southington   A Fields  Schatt and Holley535.jpg
Holley 1915  catalog  262.jpg

Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Lyle - All are sweet knives but the Southington just above is a beauty ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Now that is right up my alley ::nod:: ::tounge:: ... I'm not sure about dating those by the stamp ::hmm:: ... I think you know better than me about dating it by the bone!! Either way early or late in Southington history an old nice knife :D ...
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Another great find Lyle, Southington made high quality knives, very interesting that they made 2 size farmers jacks.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Another 4" unused Lockwood Bro. I think most of these came about years after WWII.Looks like this one got too close to a celluloid gasser.
Attachments
Lockwood Bros519.jpg
Lockwood Bros521.jpg
Lockwood Bros522.jpg

Lyle
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I appreciate Old Cutler Colonials as being a quality knife at a reasonable price. I had been watching for a Farmers Jack and finally ran across this one on the bay. Some one buffed the blades it appears but it still fits my desires. It is also their model with the fancy file work. It's about 4 inches long.
DSCN6037.JPG
DSCN6038.JPG
DSCN6041.JPG
DSCN6042.JPG
DSCN6043.JPG
DSCN6044.JPG
Thanks for looking.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”