This project came from some discussion in another topic: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=62896
I thought it might be fun just to make a nice folding lock blade saw. I had plenty of parts to make it with so I took a set of Ducks Unlimited 97OT handle assembly and popped off the Delrin scales, and prepare the liners to receive what Culpepper called honey Amber CSB.
I stamped my logo on the mark side liner and added the year so that it will never be mistaken for a factory one off or an End-of-Days (EOD) knife.
I also etched my name on the saw blade. I was "in the moment" while doing this project and only took one picture of the process. That was after I had stamped the liner.
I had purchased some springs for the 96/97/296 frames so I used one of those for the spring. As I held everything together with pins I noticed that the teeth on this saw seen to have a set to them. It may be that the teeth are just very sharp and this causes the teeth hang up on the outside liner. The center liner, which is for the liner lock is not an issue as the spring force of the lock is pushing the blade away from the mark side liner.
I fashioned a partial liner like you often see on a true whittler, a center wedge-shaped liner. I don't have the equipment to mill a nice wedge-shaped liner but the one I made was slightly tapered and then I ended it a little ahead of the rocker pins. I used the liner from a different knife which wasn't quite wide enough so it sits below the level of the back springs. Not something I would normally do, but I was just trying to see if I could get the concept to work. I suppose you could call this a prototype.
The partial liner worked fantastically and the knife even has decent snap to it, for a liner lock.
I did taper the handles so they are wider at the rear. This gives you a better grip when pulling with the saw.
All in all, I was impressed with how well it worked for kind of a half-baked idea!